Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Exhibition at DCC - reality planning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I "may" submit a print
    Anouilh,

I am sorry. The basis for this was never "first come first served" and I am not in the mood for telling people "okay, 30 slots have been taken, so forget about it".

The deal is very simple. You provide us with a window mounted shot on black mountboard to fit a 16x20 inch frame, and we submit it to a team of external selectors who will select what they consider to be the best for the exhibition. Those not selected will be included in the DVD slide show which DCC will run in the gallery window for the duration of the exhibition. This means that even if your print is not selected, your work will still be on show, albeit in a different format.

I don't get what your difficulty is. Stephen Crozier who is an excellent printer has gone a long way towards making the whole printing side of things easy on everyone, particularly with regard to mounts, for example, and particularly for me because it means I can collect the prints from him en masse.

If you can let me know what your difficulty is, either I, or stcstc, or CabanSail may well be able to respond.

regards,

Calina

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Anouilh wrote: »
    While this may inspire us all to produce work, it may be more sensible to save people who are busy time and expense by saying when the number thirty has been reached.

That is not possible. The selection will be made on the prints submitted.
    Anouilh wrote: »
    It has all got a bit overwhelming for me, but that's because I'm frighful at printing.

If you look through the thread you will see that Steve (stcstc) has made a very generous offer to print & window mount for this project at a very good price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Thank you for all the guidance.

I had gone into reading overload and had not seen all the details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I "may" submit a print
    Fairplay to all the hard work that's gone into this!

Sounds brilliant!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

kjt wrote: »
    Fairplay to all the hard work that's gone into this!

Sounds brilliant!!

Agreed. There are so many helpful people here.

Well done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I "may" submit a print
    CabanSail wrote: »
    The selection will be made on the prints submitted.

CabanSail does that mean that a person could have more than one image exhibited, or will the selection be limited to one image from any given submitter? Say, for instance, Elven submitted three prints, two of which were the best images the selectors have ever seen, would they hang two?

Hugh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I "may" submit a print
    They will hang one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

CabanSail wrote: »

If you submit 3 images then you will pay Steve for that work & those images will be judged by independent people within DCC. At least one of the selectors have an FIPF & the others have AIPF's

The selection will be done anonymously (the selectors will not know the identity of the Photographers) & placed in mark order. If someone has more than one print selected, then the highest scoring print will be retained. This process will result in 30 images being selected for the gallery & one more image to be hung in the window.

The single image is from OUR stipulation, not DCC. This is so that we have as many Photographers represented, rather than fewer individuals, in the few spots available.

All the images that are of a suitable quality will be put into the Slideshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I "may" submit a print
    Being member now, I could select pictures too? ;)
    (Bribes will be accepted after confirmation of above mentioned idea.)

ThOnda wrote: »
    Being member now, I could select pictures too? ;)
    (Bribes will be accepted after confirmation of above mentioned idea.)

Oi!! I get the Bribes .... Calina gets a cut as do the other selectors! Get in the queue. ;)

Seriously .... As I am on the Council & also involved I am not submitting any images.

There will be a need for people to volunteer to do Gallery Duty on a Saturday. It's done in three shifts 1100 - 1300, 1300 - 1500, 1500 - 1700. You stay in the Gallery to keep an eye on the exhibition. Keep a tally of how many people visit during the shift. Some like to talk about the photos & others may inquire about the club etc. Others come in & talk to the imaginary people they are with (you get all types!) It would be good to get a few people from here to get involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I "may" submit a print
    I am having a seriously tough time narrowing down my choices. Will have it done this weekend or early next week, fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

also struggling to choose a single shot to represent my - ahem - ability...

Any way we could establish a way of suggesting to help each other out? Like, present a shortlist or something and see if you get any outside opinions? It's so frickin difficult to be objective about your own stuff :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

elven wrote: »

Any way we could establish a way of suggesting to help each other out? Like, present a shortlist or something and see if you get any outside opinions? It's so frickin difficult to be objective about your own stuff :(

Easiest way I find it to get a friend to mail you with one and say that's it!!! :D:D:D

You can pick three shots if that makes it a bit easier.

I don't want to fork out the €€€€s for three :/

Gwan with the scottish jokes, now... I don't care, it's all for the 5Dii fund...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I don't want to fork out the €€€€s for three :/

I'm with you on this one. I'll only be submitting one for judging. I can't afford it even at the great deal we're getting.

I "may" submit a print
    Likewise I will be submitting only the one. I might actually put something up tonight for some of my fellow boardsies to look and ponder and give me an idea of what to pick.

I "may" submit a print
    I will be submitting pictures I would like to have printed independently from the exhibition.
    And yes, I do volunteer for exhibition protection. I'll ask for more information on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I "may" submit a print

Isn't there a flickr group specifically for this Elven?

• Advertisement

I thought that group was for posting the one you wanted to submit in the first place rather than posting a few to get help choosing from :/ am i confused? I think so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I "may" submit a print
    I thought that group was for posting the one you wanted to submit in the first place rather than posting a few to get help choosing from :/ am i confused? I think so...

Yes it was but you could make a thread there asking ppl their opinion of your choices. I'm in the same boat myself.

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

hey everyone

I have got only 4 or 5 peoples submissions for prints up to now

i need to start collecting a few more ready for printing them before the deadline

lets not everyone leave them till the last moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I "may" submit a print
    stcstc wrote: »
    hey everyone

I have got only 4 or 5 peoples submissions for prints up to now

i need to start collecting a few more ready for printing them before the deadline

lets not everyone leave them till the last moment

Will give you mine tomorrow!

cool fergus

see you tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

I "may" submit a print
    i still don't have any good pics to submit! :(

• Advertisement

Can those who are going to send prints to Steve give an indication of when they will be uploading & how many prints he can expect. It would be unfair to him if all the files arrive at the last minute. As this job is at cost he will have to fit this printing in while still earning a living.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I "may" submit a print
    I hope to have three for printing, I still have some processing to do on two of them. I'll have them uploaded to the FTP by Saturday at the latest.

Thanks to all who are organising this, and especially to Steve. I appreciate the amount of work required.

I "may" submit a print
    I'll have one, if not two to Steve via ftp by Sat :)

I "may" submit a print
    I will have one but it will be the end of the month before I upload (when I get paid).

darren, you can upload now if you like, i not gonna print them till next week etc, so you dont have to pay till then anyway

if that helps

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    Thanks Steve. I was also trying to disguise the fact I still haven't made my final decision :D

I'm going to run my photos by some people tomorrow to come up one. I will then upload asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I "may" submit a print
    I'll have 2, possibly 3, I'll try to upload them tomorrow, if not it will be next Monday after I get back from a few days away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I "may" submit a print
    Hah!
    Just seen and fully read this thread.
    I am a known scatterbrain so just to make sure I have this right.

I submit to Steve's FTP a picture I want to enter.
    He also frames/mounts it for around 14.50.
    He needs stuff uploaded soon!
    That is it?
    Only slight snag is I always have trouble with my paypal.
    If I have I could pay another boardsie the cash?

Ps the short story to go with pic, do I just send that with the pic to the ftp too?
    Janer

Hah!
    Just seen and fully read this thread.
    I am a known scatterbrain so just to make sure I have this right.

I submit to Steve's FTP a picture I want to enter.
    He also frames/mounts it for around 14.50.
    He needs stuff uploaded soon!
    That is it?
    Only slight snag is I always have trouble with my paypal.
    If I have I could pay another boardsie the cash?

Ps the short story to go with pic, do I just send that with the pic to the ftp too?
    Janer

Almost right.

You can submit up to 3 pictures.

You do not need to send any story yet. They will be requested for the photo's that have been selected to hang.

The financial side of things should be worked out with Steve.

just a little reminder to get me your images for printing

i have 7 or 8 peoples images now, and one or two others have sent them but not paid yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Just a quick-ish Q on images for printing.....I read that you should sharpen your images a little more than normal for printing as the printing process softens them a little, dunno if this holds true for top notch printing !
    Also, if I have my image, say its 2952*2366 @ 240pixels, but in Photoshop I resize to 300pixels, and now the image becomes 3690*2957. Have I stretched my image too much, or should I just change the original from 240 to 300 but keep the original dimensions ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I "may" submit a print
    ok I'm ready to upload three, i do have a problem as to which out of approx 8/9, that the more i look at them the more crappy i think they are!! or not up to the standard etc. also i'm not sure if they'll print ok some landscape ones appear to have blotchy sky in them :( although in photoshop looked ok but not on the web!!
    anyone like to take a look and help me pick three???

please :)

I "may" submit a print
    Pm me over your photos if you want me to give you my thoughts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I "may" submit a print
    I feel your pain.

I've spent a week trying to choose....

...between 4 versions of the same pic!

I just bit the bullet in the end.

i could always print a few of them for you he he

at the same price

but i am not trying to just get more business out of ya

one person has had me print 6 so he can then choose

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    Well, It looks more likely that I won't submit any picture. Sorry for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I "may" submit a print
    ThOnda wrote: »
    Well, It looks more likely that I won't submit any picture. Sorry for that.

Why ever not?

I "may" submit a print
    thanks for the offer Kyle, oh and if anyone else wants to help please do, just pick the least crap shot if thats possible.

link

thanks

:)

I "may" submit a print
    Send you a pm in a min :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I "may" submit a print
    A few questions

1. are places still open for submission?
    2. If you are printing yourself, do you just drop them into DCC and if so, for who's attention do you mark them ?
    Simplicius

Defying siren song since 1878

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

I "may" submit a print
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do you FTP a file to the server using the details provided?.....I've never used FTP.

Simplicius wrote: »
    A few questions

1. are places still open for submission?
    2. If you are printing yourself, do you just drop them into DCC and if so, for who's attention do you mark them ?
    Simplicius

Defying siren song since 1878

There is no limit to places.

You just have to arrange to get your finished prints, correctly mounted, to Calina.

you can download an ftp program

filezilla is free, i use it

and then if you read the help for it you will get details of how to use

send me a pm if your stuck and will give you my number etc

I "may" submit a print
    Big thanks to those who took the time to have a look at my efforts and helping me make a selection!!
    :)

@ steve I'll be uploading this evening - so will be in contact re: payment incl postage if thats possible

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Sorry I couldn't help you Fionn, I though they were all brill.
    Could I ask for some help, please ?
    Please pick your favourite from this folder, ie. leave your vote.
    http://pix.ie/morrisseeee/album/333690

Thanks in advance....;)

Advertisement