Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Exhibition at DCC - reality planning

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I "may" submit a print
    I'm really looking forward to this (regardless of whether I have a print exhibited or not) so I've got to shuffle around some work weekends to be able to make it.

I've checked with CabanSail and it seems that 21st March is ok by DCC, so can I just check that there's no overwhelming revolt by my fellow boardsies about the date before swapping my rotas, booking hotel room etc.

Another good point that was raised by CabanSail was the possibility of sponsorship for the launch for wine, nibbles etc.

Any ideas of potential sponsors that we could approach? My work contacts that I usually try to tap for sponsorship are all Veterinary Pharmaceutical companies so not much chance of any joy there!:D But some of you must have contacts that may be able to help out. I think that we should start approaching people soon enough though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I "may" submit a print
    Wine and nibbles ?

What are we talking about here?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Covey wrote: »
    Wine and nibbles ?

What are we talking about here?

The Exhibition Launch on Saturday 21st March in the Gallery.

It has been approved by DCC. Open to Boardies & DCC Members.

I "may" submit a print
    CabanSail wrote: »

Sorry my irish speak. Meant what amount of wine and food?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Probably a dozen each of red and white. Some juice & water for those driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I "may" submit a print
    @ Morrisseeee
    ok I took a quick look at your group, i didn't dwell or else i'd end up in hopeless procrastination like i' did with my own :rolleyes:
    anyway i've made my mind up for my own and this is my preferences for yours;
    1. Ballycotton
    2. Castle & Moon (liked this one mucho but the little flare near the moon detracts from it unfortunately)
    3. Arch

hope that helps you come to a decision either way you can always blame me!! :eek:

good luck with it anyway.

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I "may" submit a print
    I have finally made a decision on my photo and will upload tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

[QUOTEhope that helps you come to a decision either way you can always blame me!! eek.gif

good luck with it anyway[/QUOTE]
    ....many thanks.

If anyone else would like to help me, pls see post above and click on link.:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

D'oh! The one week I'm on hols abroad.... :(

How long will the exhibition run for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I "may" submit a print
    I know it's mad late but I only built up my energy enough to read through the thread now. Am I too late? I could have a few in by Sunday evening.

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    Valentia wrote: »
    I know it's mad late but I only built up my energy enough to read through the thread now. Am I too late? I could have a few in by Sunday evening.

Don't think you're too late. Sure I still haven't uploaded mine yet :o

Not too late at all.

I "may" submit a print
    :)

All hands to the pumps so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I "may" submit a print
    Finally submitted mine :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I "may" submit a print

You're okay and to be honest I'd be horrified if you didn't.

I "may" submit a print
    Uploaded mine at last.

I "may" submit a print
    Thanks Calina. Good man Darren, that didn't take too long :pac:

I think it will have to be the gannets for me. Now to figure out sizes and dpi an stuff.

I "may" submit a print
    I think it will have to be the gannets for me.

Ah well, still 29 places left for the rest of us! :)

I "may" submit a print
    I eventually got off my arse and sent some photos in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

its still not to late

get your images in .

i will be printing and mounting right up till the last moment so you still have a few days to get them to me

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    have to be the gannets for me.

I only speak Dublinese even though I lived in Ashbourne. Whats that mean :)

he means his picture of the gannets

I "may" submit a print
    stcstc wrote: »
    he means his picture of the gannets

:o Woops, I'll take my foot out of my mouth now. Thought it was some kind of expression :)

I "may" submit a print
    :):D

I "may" submit a print
    jaqian wrote: »
    Thought it was some kind of expression :)

It is;

"British slang - a greedy person [Old English ganot]".

You can see exactly why that is from Danny's shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Simplicius

I "may" submit a print
    Thankfully after a major setback, the weekend eventually wasn't a total disaster, got mine ready for mounting -- currently they are under a ton of books, family members and a engine block! trying to flatten them out -

We can do Iron Free Shirts, why not Non Curly Fibre Based Paper? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I "may" submit a print
    I already have my print and mount. How do I submit?

sineadw wrote: »
    I already have my print and mount. How do I submit?

You can bring it into DCC, in a folder, in the next couple of weeks. I would putthem in the Competition Room, just let Calina know where you have left them so they are included in the selection.

I "may" submit a print
    Just curious. How many people have submitted prints now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I "may" submit a print
    Brilliant Tony - thanks :)
    You can bring it into DCC, in a folder, in the next couple of weeks. I would putthem in the Competition Room, just let Calina know where you have left them so they are included in the selection.

i have stuff from about 23 people or so

I still think a few more could get stuff in, if they get it to me by monday i can still get them printed etc

There are 42 names on the definite list.

Some will be leaving it until the last minute speechless-smiley-004.gif

Some may be printing/mounting themselves. If you are doing this then you will have to arrange to get these prints to Calina by 14th Feb - Saturday Week.

I "may" submit a print
    Interesting. I wonder if some people have decided to pull out, hopefully not.

How long after the 14th Feb will we know whether or not we've had a print selected?

Cheers,
    Rob

A bit over a week, if all things go according to plan.

I "may" submit a print
    Thanks CabanSail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Rojo

I "may" submit a print
    My stuff will be sent tonight!

I "may" submit a print
    Somebody mentioned the possibility of swapping prints earlier in this thread.

How would people feel about making a donation to SSF for other peoples' prints. Or to put it another way, would you be willing to donate your print if the proceeds were going to SSF? Not as a commercial arrangement per se, we don't want to annoy DCC, but just amongst ourselves.

If people prefer to keep their own prints, then obviously that's no problem. We could just have a list and tick them off as they're spoken for, and if you want to keep your own, tick them straight away so that they're unavailable.

I think a flat rate would work best so that there's no competitive element, even €25 per print would be €750 for SSF if all the prints were taken. That's not counting the ones not chosen for hanging.

What do you think?

There have been Exhibitions at DCC where the Prints were for sale, but it has always been done very low key. As DCC has Charitable Status & the club is run by volunteers we try to keep things as non-commercial as possible. As such I would not like to see Prints with price tags on them. If the sales were in support of a Charity like SSF then it changes the emphasis quite a bit.

I can understand why some people would not like to sell their prints & there should be no pressure for anyone to participate. If people were prepared to donate some, or all, of their prints to SSF then we could do something at the Exhibition Launch. It would be the obvious time as there should be a crowd there.

One way to do this would be an "eBay style" Auction. We put a coloured sticker, with a number, on the description panel of prints that are being sold for SSF. The non-selected prints for sale could also be numbered in a display box. A reserve is set & if someone wants to place a bid for a print they register their bid with someone who is taking the bids. They could be told the current bid & if it has made reserve.

Maybe we could think about this & then discuss it more after the Prints have been submitted.

I "may" submit a print
    I can understand why some people would not like to sell their prints & there should be no pressure for anyone to participate.

Maybe we could think about this & then discuss it more after the Prints have been submitted.

I agree 100% about there being no pressure.

Just a random idea I had yesterday and thought I'd get some feedback:)

I think it's a good idea & very generous if people choose to participate.

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    Hopefully get mine in tonite Steve :eek:

Great idea for a charity auction, I think. As it's early in the year we could also look beyond the SSF maybe ?

Just heard yesterday of the major fire in the ISPCA pound causing €500,000 worth of damage for instance !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

i'd be happy enough to donate the print, should anyone want it.

It'd be nice to choose a different charity since the book already went towards the ssf. ISPCA would get my vote too :) But how would we choose fairly?

I think SSF was chosen as it seems to be the "Boards Charity"

Personally I wouldn't mind doing something for the Simon Communities as I prefer to give them money rather than beggers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

yep there's an obvious link with boards and ssf...

Should it come down to a vote, maybe, where a list of options get nominated and then people can choose from that? Should it be a free for all, or the submitters of prints, or the people actually buying who get to vote on it?

I think it would be fair that those who donate prints should decide. The buyers make their choice when they part with their cash.

I "may" submit a print
    I just stuck in SSF because of it's association with boards and because of the work they do.

The only real reason that I can see to nominate one charity over another is because its neater and looks well in the middle pages of a local newspaper when someone is handing over a comedy oversized cheque!

I don't think this is the sort of vanity project that needs a comedy oversized cheque to validate it (it might be a completely different sort of vanity project on the part of the contributors but that's another story!). So if a poll is created, maybe one option should be atari jaguar 'everyone who is generous enough to donate a print to charity can decide where the money goes'.

my latest 2c.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I "may" submit a print
    Having problems here, I want to send 2 pics but 1 is 12.9mb and the other one is 10mb! I don't know how to resize.
    Also I am using this post as my bearings
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58498464&postcount=46
    When I click onto
    # FTP Username: boardexhibit@360-dpi.com
    It brings me to his email. :confused:

So not sure about these...
    # Password: photograph
    # FTP Server: ftp.360-dpi.com

I have sorted out my paypal account though! :D

Help!

I "may" submit a print
    AnimalRights,

do you know how to use FTP? You need to use that as the userid on an FTP client.

If you do not have one I strongly recommend FireFTP which plugs into Firefox if you use it.

Of course, I just went to check on my install of it and it's gone since a Firefox update. Darnit anyway.

Anyway, clicking on the link will bring you nothing; it's an automatic formatter turns it into a link.

If you can clarify on the FTP front, I will try to walk you through uploading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I "may" submit a print
    K, I just phoned Steve and he explained an FTP, shall attempt to give it a go now.

I "may" submit a print
    Thanks Steve.

the computer world is out to get me at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement