Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Exhibition at DCC - reality planning

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Will be doing the selection tomorrow morning, well not me but I will be there for it.

Good luck everybody. Will let people know soon which images are to be hung.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The selection is done.

There will be 33 images in the exhibition.

The method used was that all the images were looked at & sorted into three groups.

1. Accepted
    2. Possible
    3. Not Accepted

At the end of the process there were 32 in that Accepted pile & one person in the Possible pile did not have an image accepted, so it was moved over.

There will be some people who have more than one Print on display & some that have missed out. I can explain the reasons why images were not accepted in a PM.

There are some images that do not have a name.

Killaloe
    Murder Ink
    Smithfield
    Snowy Stream
    White Horse

If you these are your images, can you let me know who you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I "may" submit a print
    IS THERE A list of what was accepted ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

I "may" submit a print
    Oh the suspense! :D

Either way, I'm looking forward to visiting the exhibition.

Hugh

IS THERE A list of what was accepted ?

Yes .... but it's all real names. I am not sure if people want their names put up here.

I "may" submit a print
    so is it a surprise ? turn up and see?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I "may" submit a print
    Is there a way to send a PM to people who had submitted a picture, if you have their nicks?

I don't have the Boards Names for most on the list.

I suppose it should be OK to put up a list here. It's only names after all & I cannot think of another way.

This is the information I have. Let me know additional details & I will add them.

1 Bob Cantwell - Castle
    2 Bob Cantwell - Barbed Wire
    3 Darren Carr - Horiz Stairs
    4 Danny O'Brien - Gannets
    5 Darren Greene - DarrenG - Tiger
    6 Darren Greene - DarrenG - Horses
    7 Des Egan - Forest Light
    8 Fergus Mc Nally - Model
    9 Hovik Melikyan - Spire
    10 Janer Ali - Animal Rights - Punk Singer
    11 Janer Ali - Animal Rights - Brendan Behan
    12 John O Loughlin - Seed Head
    13 John O Loughlin - Field
    14 Juliann Matkin - Goldfish
    15 Kaziu Shioda - Leaves
    16 Gary Fox - shepthedog - Killaloe
    17 Gary Fox - shepthedog - MurderInk
    18 Gary Fox - shepthedog - Smithfield
    19 Kyle KJT - Car Sunset
    20 Louise Barnwall - Shags
    21 Patricia Walsh - Cityscape
    22 Paul Campbell - Pigeon House
    23 Paul Kane - Abstract
    24 Peter Conway - Chairs
    25 Rob Devine - Papal Cross
    26 Rob Devine - Open
    27 Martin Nolan - Morrisseeee - Snowy Stream
    28 Treasa Lynch - Calina - Icicle
    29 Treasa Lynch - Calina - Kite Surfer
    30 Waldo - Florence
    31 Walter - GPO
    32 Sinead McDonald - SineadW - Guitar
    33 Vlastimil Buzek - Thonda - Spirit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I "may" submit a print
    Hugh_C wrote: »
    Oh the suspense! :D

Either way, I'm looking forward to visiting the exhibition.

Me too, I've only ever been to one exhibition before and that was for my sister in laws who uses Snake skins for her paintings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I "may" submit a print
    EDIT : You beat me to it! Congrats all..
    CabanSail wrote: »
    I don't have the Boards Names for most on the list.

I suppose it should be OK to put up a list here. It's only names after all & I cannot think of another way.

I "may" submit a print
    This is the information I have. Let me know additional details & I will add them.

1 Bob Cantwell - Castle
    2 Bob Cantwell - Barbed Wire
    3 Darren Carr - Horiz Stairs
    4 Danny O'Brien - Gannets
    5 Darren Greene - DarrenG - Tiger
    6 Darren Greene - DarrenG - Horses
    8 Fergus Mc Nally - Model
    9 Hovik Melikyan - Spire
    10 Janer Ali - Animal Rights - Punk Singer
    11 Janer Ali - Animal Rights - Brendan Behan
    12 John O Loughlin - Seed Head
    13 John O Loughlin - Field
    14 Juliann Matkin - Goldfish
    15 Kaziu Shioda - Leaves
    16 Gary Fox - shepthedog - Killaloe
    17 Gary Fox - shepthedog - MurderInk
    18 Gary Fox - shepthedog - Smithfield
    19 Kyle KJT - Car Sunset
    20 Louise Barnwall - Shags
    21 Patricia Walsh - Cityscape
    22 Paul Campbell - Pigeon House
    23 Paul Kane - Abstract
    24 Peter Conway - Chairs
    26 Rob Devine - Open
    27 Martin Nolan - Morrisseeee - Snowy Stream
    28 Treasa Lynch - Calina - Icicle
    29 Treasa Lynch - Calina - Kite Surfer
    30 Waldo - Florence
    31 Walter - GPO
    32 Sinead McDonald - SineadW - Guitar
    33 Vlastimil Buzek - Thonda - Spirit
    I had entered 3.
    The 3rd one was 'Swedish Sid' I think.
    Maybe it wasn't accepted, fairly sure I paid for 3 as my Paypal shows -€45 :D
    If it was rejected I assume I still get the print?

I had entered 3.
    The 3rd one was 'Swedish Sid' I think.
    Maybe it wasn't accepted, fairly sure I paid for 3 as my Paypal shows -€45 :D
    If it was rejected I assume I still get the print?

Swedish Sid was in the Possible pile.

It went into to Not Accepted pile & so was put into the shredder. :eek:

Of course you get your prints back. :D

I "may" submit a print
    The public scared of Male nipples so... :p

0F53B5D04DA7440ABA1923BFA98387F9-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

OMG! Woohoo! Cool! Thanks all:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Culann

I "may" submit a print
    How do we get our images back? This has been a great weekend...didn't make the Blog Awards shortlist and rejected for this as well...I'm off to get drunk......./rant over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I "may" submit a print
    I misunderstood the setup. I thought that each person would only have in the exhibition but could put in as many as they wanted for judging. The rest were going into a slideshow??

Anyhow I'm delighted to be picked. Thanks ;-)

I "may" submit a print
    Whats the date of the actual exhibition?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

I thought that each person would only have ONE in the exhibition
    ....just a case of the 'big fat greedy cats' again....I bet they have off-shore accounts aswell.....:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I "may" submit a print
    For what it's worth, I had the same understanding as Valentia, anyway I'm glad to be included and am looking forward to the launch and meeting all the folks there.

Thanks to stcstc for the printing (I haven't seen them but he must have done a good job), Calina, CabanSail and all those involved behind the scenes.:)

The original concept was one image each to be displayed. As I explained earlier all the images were sorted for being accepted or not. This is the reason to have independent selectors. When this was undertaken it was apparent that if it were to be reduced to one image each then we would have had 25 images. We could have gone with that, but there were some very good images that would have had to be removed, so it was decided to keep the extra images.

All the images submitted will be put on the Slideshow.

Janer - The exhibition opens on March 21. We are planning a Gallery Launch on that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I "may" submit a print
    Just like a bit of clarification here?

Is this a Boards run thing or a DCC run thing?

Just because we have been accommodated by DCC, of which we should be grateful, doesn't mean we should be subjected to DCC rule paramaters, whatever they may be. Who decided that?

We had Rules, lets keep to them. please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I "may" submit a print
    Everybody can become a DCC member :-)

I understand it that the DCC is trying to keep some standard of the exhibited pictures. But that is purely my assumption based on no facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I "may" submit a print
    hey all
    i actually cant remember what i submitted!! :rolleyes:
    but apparantly some of my stuff was picked i'm the first two on the list there!! i' a bit hazy on the rules or regulations for this, but it's not like we're gonna be propelled into the art world stratosphear or whatever :)
    whatever well done every1
    :)

• Advertisement

Covey wrote: »
    Just like a bit of clarification here?

Is this a Boards run thing or a DCC run thing?

Just because we have been accommodated by DCC, of which we should be grateful, doesn't mean we should be subjected to DCC rule paramaters, whatever they may be. Who decided that?

We had Rules, lets keep to them. please.

It is both.

Calina was looking for a Gallery to display this exhibition. She knew I was on the Council at DCC and asked if the Gallery could be used. I put the concept to Council. The outcome was a tentative Yes depending on quality of the Prints. Some sample Prints were sent in, but it was the Yearbook that secured the go ahead.

The selection of the Exhibition was always going to undertaken by DCC. This is quite a departure from the usual type of exhibition in the Gallery & some control was retained. It is not a huge Gallery, so there is a limit to the number of Prints that can be displayed. With the amount of work that was expected it was decided to limit it to one place per person. If we still want to limit it to ONE per person then it would mean taking out eight prints that have now been selected & reducing the number from 33 to 25.

I did not have a say in the selection. This was done by others, my role at the selection was to organise things there.

The first hurdle a print had to achieve was to meet the exhibition quality. A lot of the problem here were technical problems with the prints. This is NOT to do with the quality of the printing & mounting by Steve (which is very good) but rather with issues with the processing of the files. Getting from a good image on the screen to a good quality print is a whole different discipline. There were also problems with simple things like the photo not being sharp or in focus, which becomes apparent in an A3 size print.

- There are 33 Prints (this was increased from 31 to include some good prints)
    - We have 25 Photographers represented. 6 have a second print included. One person (shepthedog) has 3 Prints, this is because these images had no name associated with them, just a title & it was thought it was 3 individuals (the style is different in each)

I hope this explains how the selection was done.

I "may" submit a print
    The original concept was one image each to be displayed. As I explained earlier all the images were sorted for being accepted or not. This is the reason to have independent selectors. When this was undertaken it was apparent that if it were to be reduced to one image each then we would have had 25 images. We could have gone with that, but there were some very good images that would have had to be removed, so it was decided to keep the extra images.

No problem :) It's just that I would have entered a few more if I knew that.:D

Valentia wrote: »
    No problem :) It's just that I would have entered a few more if I knew that.:D

It was limited to three prints each, so you could have submitted two more. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I "may" submit a print
    Hi.

I'm just back from places foreign so this will be short while I catch up.

There has been some discussion about print swaps or possibly a charity auction of the prints at the end of this exhibition. I need to know who is interested in this from a supply point of view and from a taking point of view. I know, for example, that Linda has already taken one of my prints in principle but anyone else who is interested, please let me know.

Also, those of you selected, can you PM me 50 words about yourselves that which be hung near each photograph.

I want to start looking at two things now - PR and launch night.

I "may" submit a print
    It was limited to three prints each, so you could have submitted two more. :p

I know that, but that is not my point.

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    so how does one go about getting back the rejected pics? I submitted two and one was accepted, but I actually like the rejected one better and like to hang it at home

so how does one go about getting back the rejected pics? I submitted two and one was accepted, but I actually like the rejected one better and like to hang it at home

The Prints are being stored at DCC. If you are coming to the Launch then you can pick them up then. If not I can get them for you on a Tuesday night meeting.

I "may" submit a print
    Thanks for the time and effort and for putting up with us.

Thanks for the time and effort and for putting up with us.

Well I am one of us too! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I "may" submit a print
    So Saturday the 21st March is launch night how long is it running for.

Thanks again too all involved

I will have to confirm, but I think it's until 25th April.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I "may" submit a print

26 Rob Devine - Open

Woohoo I'm in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭4sb

A small thing that might be factored in regarding the opening night - the 21st is the final day for the Six Nations - Wales v Ireland kicks off at 17:30.

Kazi Ushioda / 4sb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I "may" submit a print
    Is that home or away... I ask as this will affect whether I stay over night in Dublin or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I "may" submit a print
    The match is in Cardiff, so hotel space in Dublin shouldn't be an issue. Just booking mine now!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I "may" submit a print
    Do we have a confirmed time on the Saturday evening for the launch event?

No time yet. I would assume that it would be about 7 or 7.30 & go for a couple of hours, but that's not set in stone.

I "may" submit a print
    I bet there's one person on the list, wishes they'd named their shot something else though :D:pac::D

I was not supplied Titles, so those are just arbitary names I gave so people know which images have been accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I bet there's one person on the list, wishes they'd named their shot something else though :D:pac::D

I presume you're talking about me :D. I nearly died when I read it too. I will be mailing Calina with the actual title of it soon.

I "may" submit a print
    bovril wrote: »
    I presume you're talking about me :D. I nearly died when I read it too. I will be mailing Calina with the actual title of it soon.

I'd say no one'll will quibble with cormorants :p:rolleyes:

Worried about your reputation? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'd say no one'll will quibble with cormorants :p:rolleyes:

The birds themselves would because they are indeed shags as Cabansail titled them :)

@Cabansail - Nah, Any reputation I had has been ruined a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Heinlein

I "may" submit a print
    I was not supplied Titles, so those are just arbitary names I gave so people know which images have been accepted.

Pity stcstc lost the titles, because in one case it was important, and that was a rejected case :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

the names that calina had were the filenames of the images, i am not aware of any that i misplaced the title of?

the way that people supplied the names was on the file names, i just then had photoshop generate a contact sheet with thumbnails and filenames

Advertisement