Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Photography Exhibition at DCC - reality planning

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Heinlein wrote: »
    Pity stcstc lost the titles, because in one case it was important, and that was a rejected case :(

I doubt the Title would have no bearing on if a print was accepted or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I "may" submit a print
    You'll be saying next that missing titles didn't cause the global slowdown. :rolleyes:

:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

It was actually the missing titles that have taken out the loans from Anglo Irish Bank. Sorry about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭Fionn

I "may" submit a print
    hey all
    congratulations to everyone who were successful commiserations to those that weren't

A special word of thanks to Calina for the original idea and then bringing it to fruition, well done :)
    and also to stcstc for the printing
    and finally to CabanSail for the guidance, advice and help during the project.

sounds like the Oscars eh? :D

hope to make it for the Opening, but could be working - don't know yet!

@ Calina - i'm sending you a pm with the 50 words and titles for the prints.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

I "may" submit a print
    Just wondering if the slideshow has bitten the dust?

I didn't submit anything, so no personal reasons for asking, but it would be nice if those who did go to the bother of submitting, got something out of it?

• Advertisement

The slideshow is going ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I "may" submit a print
    about the 50 words or so:

Little bit about yourself and why you take the photos you take. If you've got a website, it can probably be included as well.

Ta very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I "may" submit a print
    Calina wrote: »
    about the 50 words or so:

Little bit about yourself and why you take the photos you take. If you've got a website, it can probably be included as well.

Ta very much.

PM sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Little bit about yourself and why you take the photos you take
    .....What about the PHOTO itself ? do/can we say a little about that ? Also...does it have to be 50 words, would ye be insulted if it was only 20 words or upto 100 words ? !! :eek:;)

I "may" submit a print
    Think mine was 62 ish words not including my flickr address

Anyone recommend a cheap hotel sofar all I've found is the Days Inn in Rathmines which is probably my best option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

The holiday Inn on pearse street or the Quality hotel (near pearse street) are options but neither I would recommend walking to from Dublin city once it gets dark. You'd have to get a taxi. The Days hotel in Rathmines is in a safer spot.

Can't think of anywhere else, I've never had to stay in Dublin since I live here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

bovril wrote: »
    ...The Days hotel in Rathmines is in a safer spot....

Yeah, except doesn't the Days Hotel in Rathmines become Tramco after dark? That's enough reason to stay away imo!:eek:

I "may" submit a print
    Tramco sheesh I thought that was a nice part of town

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I "may" submit a print
    Yeah, except doesn't the Days Hotel in Rathmines become Tramco after dark? That's enough reason to stay away imo!:eek:

Pretty sure the Days in is across the road and above Aldi a minute away from Tramco. That would only be 5mins walk from DCC Trish :)

The Camden Court Hotel is within walking distance, as are Hotels around Stephens Green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I "may" submit a print
    Camden Court's nice. I got married there :D Definitely the closest option. Or there's the Portobello. Looks like about 110 a night for them though, whereas Days is more like 65-70..

Ah Trampco :D Fun fun fun! Yeah it'd be noisy, but Rathmines is probably one of the safer places to be wandering around of a weekend.

Depends how rich you are Trish! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭waldo

I "may" submit a print
    I live very near days in Rathmines. The Days Inn is behind Tramco, there is a Travelodge behind Aldi accross the road. The Travelodge should be quieter, only because Days has tramco below it. The area is safe at night (with the usual sensibile precautions) and only a 10/15 minute walk from DCC.

I also have a photo in so i'll see ya'll there!

The Launch is getting close. We need to work out what we want to happen on that night & inform people that it is on.

Do we want to do the traditional thing & serve cheap wine? If so how will this be funded? Do we have volunteers to do the serving?

How long do we want the Launch to be? Starting time & kicking out time?

Do we have volunteers to clean up afterwards?

Who will actually do the official opening?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Cecilia Ann

Hello all,

Not sure when this is all happening but is it only open to those who have submitted or will you be selling tickets or what?

Im intereested in Photography- trying to get more out of it and would like to pop along...

I live in Rathmines- i would say either Days or Travel Lodge would be good venues- I presume its a function room you are after- Days would prob be nicer tho...

It will be free to attend & you are welcome to come along. The Exhibition will be at Dublin Camera Club which is located at 10 Lower Camden St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Cecilia Ann

Cool, when?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I "may" submit a print
    I will try to have the whole day free tor the opening. The date is hidden somewhere in the thread, I have to search it everytime again and again and painfully.
    So, count me in for getting ready, any help required inside and cleaning afterwards too.

Hi all.

Opening is 21st March still?

Unfortunately I can't make it, I'm off on hols that day (with my camera in tow of course!).

Re the opening, if it's a matter of funding the wine and finger food, I have no problem chipping in. Maybe if there's agreement on what to get, there might be somebody here in the trade that could help out? Alternatively it might be sensible to buy up North, prices are a good bit cheaper.

Have you guys done a few of these at this stage that you might know what quantities should be expected?

We don't ussually have Food. As for wine, a dozen of white & red should cover it. Then you need a couple of bottles of Sparkling Water & some Juice. All up it's going to cost less than €200.

There are glasses at the club, but they will need to be washed up at the end of the night.

If there is anyone with contacts for the drinks then let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I "may" submit a print
    CabanSail wrote: »
    We don't ussually have Food. As for wine, a dozen of white & red should cover it. Then you need a couple of bottles of Sparkling Water & some Juice. All up it's going to cost less than €200.

There are glasses at the club, but they will need to be washed up at the end of the night.

If there is anyone with contacts for the drinks then let me know.

you mean a dozen red and a dozen white? or a dozen between them? I might know someone

Probably a Dozen of each. Possible 9 of each would be OK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I "may" submit a print
    Dont know if this has been mentioned but

Saturday 21st March:
    Wales v Ireland (5.30pm)

Maybe wont affect numbers but I know I wont be there if it clashes with Ireland wining the Grand Slam!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Nisio

I "may" submit a print
    Sure they have a big screen in DCC to watch the match on!

I "may" submit a print
    Nisio wrote: »

There'll be a slideshow on that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I "may" submit a print
    Dont know if this has been mentioned but

Saturday 21st March:
    Wales v Ireland (5.30pm)

Maybe wont affect numbers but I know I wont be there if it clashes with Ireland wining the Grand Slam!

There must be a decent pub somewhere close by?

I'm going to have to bribe somebody to drive me home.....

I "may" submit a print
    Across the road is one and they have at least two big TVs. I am in that pub twice a week ;-)

I "may" submit a print
    Probably a Dozen of each. Possible 9 of each would be OK

Hi, I can't help here. The guy I know who used to supply booze is gone out of business :mad:. Sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,165 ✭✭✭nilhg

I "may" submit a print
    I've no problem bringing a couple of bottles, I might still have something reasonable left from last years trip to Cherbourg, if not it will be whatever Dunnes have on special..

The local Off-Licence does give DCC a good deal on wine & it can be picked up on the day. It's a matter of funds that are the issue. We cannot sell the wine as that needs a license.

There is the possibility of having a cup for donations, but would require someone purchasing the wine in advance.

There is a Big Screen but it is a only a Display & does not have a Tuner, otherwise we would have to pay for a TV License.

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    The local Off-Licence does give DCC a good deal on wine & it can be picked up on the day. It's a matter of funds that are the issue. We cannot sell the wine as that needs a license.

There is the possibility of having a cup for donations, but would require someone purchasing the wine in advance.

a tenner per (printed) image displayed is not an unreasonable request...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭dakar

I "may" submit a print
    As regards the match, I don't see much problem. I intend watching it in a pub close to DCC. It kicks off at 5.30, should be finished by 7.30ish at the latest. Just in time for a 7.30-8.00 start in the gallery.

I'd be willing to contribute to the wine fund. I don't suppose anyone in the photographic industry has much cash to splash around on sponsorship at the moment, but if anyone has any contacts, might be worth a check anyway.

I "may" submit a print
    I'll get the white wine.

Payback for a lot of the great advice I've got around here.

I "may" submit a print
    Count me in, I'll give you a fiver today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

I "may" submit a print
    If everyone throws in a tenner will this cover the costs? 25 people x 10 = €250? Do we have final costs of everything?

EDIT: just read cabansails post saying it will cost 200 in total.. 250 should cover any additional expense.. Anyone happy with this?

• Advertisement

I "may" submit a print
    shepthedog wrote: »
    If everyone throws in a tenner will this cover the costs? 25 people x 10 = €250? Do we have final costs of everything?

I think it should by pay for display. if I have to look at 3 of your prints you should buy me 3 glasses of wine :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Dodgykeeper

I "may" submit a print
    I agree €10 per image printed, that wil put a halt to smug sheps gallop!

I "may" submit a print
    I doubt even in the nearby Krystal does it cost €30 for three glasses of wine! :)

Must be the other kind of bar where you buy the ladies drinks you are thinking off.. :D

I "may" submit a print
    I agree €10 per image printed, that wil put a halt to smug sheps gallop!

Whats this?? Some sort of "Exceptional Talent Tax" ? Not even Fianna Fail would bring something like that in... :D

Perhaps Dodgykeeper could supply some freshly squeezed lemonade made from those bitter, bitter lemons he has since he only got one print in :D

I "may" submit a print
    I doubt even in the nearby Krystal does it cost €30 for three glasses of wine! :)

Must be the other kind of bar where you buy the ladies drinks you are thinking off.. :D

:D

EDIT: just read cabansails post saying it will cost 200 in total.. 250 should cover any additional expense.. Anyone happy with this?

I'm happy with that idea. Is the gallery open Saturday, is somebody there that could take the cash?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

I "may" submit a print
    How about some Whiskey seen as I don't drink wine!!!

I "may" submit a print
    kjt wrote: »
    How about some Whiskey seen as I don't drink wine!!!

Every self respecting whiskey drinker has a hip flask Kyle :p:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Heinlein

I "may" submit a print
    Covey wrote: »
    Every self respecting whiskey drinker has a hip flask Kyle :p:)

I think every self-respecting hippy-flasky whiskey-drinky boardsie photographer will still contribute 10 Euro for the wine :)

I "may" submit a print
    I forgot it yesterday, next time. I am sorry.

• Advertisement
Advertisement