Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Chelsea one of the clubs in financial trouble?

• 29-12-2008 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭

There are loads of rumours of football clubs being in deep financial trouble (West Ham, Portsmouth etc.), but is Chelsea one of them?

I today read that they had to release 15 of their scouts, that the players now have to pay for their food (LOL) and that Roman's fortune has dwindled from some 17.6 billion to 2.3 billion (down more then 80%) in the last few months.

This still being a nice little cushion to have for him, will he be able to afford a toy like Chelsea FC in the near future.

Reports state that he is willing to sell, but that none of the interested buyers is prepared to take on the massive debts the club currently has.

What do you think will happen to them, or do you think any other club might be even in bigger problems?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

I was watching some naff documentary recently on the new influences in Art collecting, went into detail about how Russian Money is whats buying all the super expensive art.

Anyway Abramovich featured as a very recent arrival on behalf of his new beau, he was spending absolute fortunes. My analysis may be crude but i firmly believe Abramovich is spending his pocket money elsewhere rather then expensive players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭jackdaw

In 10 years time Chelsea football club probably will have gone the Dublin city FC way ...

finished over gone

they will never win another trophy ... im gonna stick €2000 on them winning nothing this season,.,..
    #

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Hard to say what will happen to all these clubs in debt. I expect one at least to go under. Which one though?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Can't wait for one to go under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

I say Liverpool are in a worse state than Chelsea.

The boys are riddled with debt and using the club as collateral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭chips1234

sure he still has 2.3 billion no worries till he's down to his last billion
    or so then jump ship :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Theres too many clubs in England, they cant sustain proffesional football, they should either go part time or merge clubs, one for london, one for manchester, one for liverpool etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

chips1234 wrote: »
    sure he still has 2.3 billion no worries till he's down to his last billion
    or so then jump ship :D

I know that was tongue in cheek, but still...

the big thing most people are overlooking is that his value on paper is effectively meaningless these days. A multi-millionaires cash comes from the dividends... which Roman ain't getting much of these days. Asset rich, cash poor, all that... Roman has been starting to count the pennies for the last year or so, the cost cutting in Chelsea hasn't happened overnight. I'd heard of some of those things going back to the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I dont think Chelsea will go under. Sure Real Madrid had their AGM at the start of the month and revealed debts of €511 Million. So compare that to Chelsea and Chelsea's debt is peanuts. Plenty of big clubs are in debt, Man Utd, Liverpool owe hundreds of millions because of the bloody yanks who buried in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

jackdaw wrote: »
    In 10 years time Chelsea football club probably will have gone the Dublin city FC way ...

finished over gone

they will never win another trophy ... im gonna stick €2000 on them winning nothing this season,.,..
    #

ive said it before, but you are the worst type of fan

disgraceful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

event wrote: »
    ive said it before, but you are the worst type of fan

disgraceful

I agree in what your saying,but to be fair you just got to love Jackdaws rants!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Well if it's a competition on who has the biggest debt we're getting into, I doubt nayone can trump Valenica :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Awh class, everyone might start supporting the League Of Ireland now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DSB wrote: »
    Awh class, everyone might start supporting the League Of Ireland now.

TO get a break from clubs in financial crisis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,960 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

If he wants his money back that he has loaned to Chelsea, I don't see how CFC could possibly pay him back. Despite what that muppet that used to be at Man Utd says.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    If he wants his money back that he has loaned to Chelsea, I don't see how CFC could possibly pay him back. Despite what that muppet that used to be at Man Utd says.

tbh, i'd say he knew he'd never get it back, but it made more sense to give it as a 'loan' so he could write it off against tax or something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Well if it's a competition on who has the biggest debt we're getting into, I doubt nayone can trump Valenica :pac:

Try Real Madrid and €511 Million.

redout wrote: »

Read Madrid don't count. they always get bailed out by someone in Govt. down there. I'd say at this stage Blatter hisself would intervene to make sure they are solvent.

it's funny how FIFA always give out about political intervention in the FAs yet never have had a word to see about their continual financial intervention with Real Madrid.

tbh, i'd say he knew he'd never get it back, but it made more sense to give it as a 'loan' so he could write it off against tax or something...

All I was doing was answering the OPs question. If for whatever reason he needs his money back, CFC are fcked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

Stekelly wrote: »
    TO get a break from clubs in financial crisis?
    Nah but better the devil down the road haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,339 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Anyway Abramovich featured as a very recent arrival on behalf of his new beau, he was spending absolute fortunes.

You do know that a beau is a boyfriend, don't you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Em, Abramovich's assests were in liquid form, i.e. cash, so its unlikely that he's lost that much money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

PHB wrote: »
    Em, Abramovich's assests were in liquid form, i.e. cash, so its unlikely that he's lost that much money.
    He lost a fortune in one day about four weeks ago, but anyone thinking that Chelsea are in financial trouble is just laughable.

If Chelsea are in financial then theres no hope for Liverpool, Man United or any of the rest of them. Well Man City might be ok.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Zaph wrote: »
    You do know that a beau is a boyfriend, don't you?

Pedant much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

redout wrote: »

Or, according to their last posted accounts, Manchester United at £764m

eagle eye wrote: »
    If Chelsea are in financial then theres no hope for Liverpool, Man United or any of the rest of them. Well Man City might be ok.

Well, atm they're not, but what if....

...if their sugar daddy walked away and players are on highly paid long-term contracts that the club can't cover.

...if their sugar daddy walks away and wants his loans to the club repaid.

Slightly OT but is there a licensing system for clubs in any of the top leagues in Britain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Dear God, bordering two pages on clubs and financial crisis without mention of Leeds:O I'm impressed!

From what I understand, chelsea are on of the teams in financial trouble. But then again, so are many other clubs. If RA or the Hicks/Gilletes of the game decide to walk away, then the clubs are in serious danger, as with value of money decreasing if placed in the likes of dividends.

Chelsea are a fine example to use of the prospect of a team going belly-up. Who in their right mind will pay X amount for a club, that will possibly, maybe even probably, include re-paying Abramovich? Then on top of that, players over 30 with 5 year contracts over £100,000 a week. Not enticing, especially as you'd probably have to guarantee the same extent of money as Abramovich has given. Same could happen any of the top clubs though.

In saying that, the situation may never arise if the owners hang around till the economy starts boosting up again, even though it will be years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Mushy wrote: »

Chelsea are a fine example to use of the prospect of a team going belly-up. Who in their right mind will pay X amount for a club, that will possibly, maybe even probably, include re-paying Abramovich? Then on top of that, players over 30 with 5 year contracts over £100,000 a week. Not enticing, especially as you'd probably have to guarantee the same extent of money as Abramovich has given.

Plus nowhere near as well-known (despite Kenyon's efforts) a global 'brand' as Liverpool or, especially, MUFC. They could really sink if RA walked away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I am beginning to see the merit of Arsene Wengers stingy ways... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

stovelid wrote: »
    Plus nowhere near as well-known (despite Kenyon's efforts) a global 'brand' as Liverpool or, especially, MUFC. They could really sink if RA walked away.

Yes, I prob should have implied that more, but then could've been considered as taking a pop at Chelsea.
    Frisbee wrote: »
    I am beginning to see the merit of Arsene Wengers stingy ways... :pac:

Ah yes, it is good. He holds onto players for the future(as difficult as it is), its a big IF, they will have cost little in comparison, and will win competitions that'll reap HUGE benefits. Save a little now, spend more later.*

*still think that if he had one or two experienced defensive midfielder style players, he could have the best of both worlds...relatively cheap team that wins stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Mushy wrote: »
    Ah yes, it is good. He holds onto players for the future(as difficult as it is), its a big IF, they will have cost little in comparison, and will win competitions that'll reap HUGE benefits. Save a little now, spend more later.*

*still think that if he had one or two experienced defensive midfielder style players, he could have the best of both worlds...relatively cheap team that wins stuff.

Agreed, lets see can we strike a balance in January

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

The advantages of having a manager who has a masters in economics eh

Advertisement