Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV socket problem

• 29-12-2008 12:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hello folks, I live in a house which is supposed to have cable TV service. I recently applied for a broadband service, UPC to be exact. And after the technician checked my house he said it's a "covered up case", which means you have the slot but somehow no signal coming out. So I wonder if there's some kind of gov department I can go to complain about or I have to hire some sort of engineer to solve this problem. I am a newcomer so not very familiar with such stuff. Thanks!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

bzylg010 wrote: »
    Hello folks, I live in a house which is supposed to have cable TV service. I recently applied for a broadband service, UPC to be exact. And after the technician checked my house he said it's a "covered up case", which means you have the slot but somehow no signal coming out. So I wonder if there's some kind of gov department I can go to complain about or I have to hire some sort of engineer to solve this problem. I am a newcomer so not very familiar with such stuff. Thanks!!!

Did he say it was a "covered up chase" not "covered up case"??

A chase is a channel cut into the wall for cables to run in.

I'm guessing there is a break in the cable, and its going to cause a little bit of a mess to find out where it is broken, if the cable is chased into the wall... They could just install a new length of cable, but it might be a bit messy also...

They should be able to give you the basic TV service and assuming broadband is available in your area they should be able to give that to you too....

Was it 6pm on a friday evening or something when the guy called out and he didn't want to get into it there and then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 bzylg010

Did he say it was a "covered up chase" not "covered up case"??

A chase is a channel cut into the wall for cables to run in.

I'm guessing there is a break in the cable, and its going to cause a little bit of a mess to find out where it is broken, if the cable is chased into the wall... They could just install a new length of cable, but it might be a bit messy also...

They should be able to give you the basic TV service and assuming broadband is available in your area they should be able to give that to you too....

Was it 6pm on a friday evening or something when the guy called out and he didn't want to get into it there and then?

Well maybe I got it wrong, if it's a "covered up chase" who should I contact to fix all this? I think it's pretty early 11 am when he came and it was thursday. And we are able to use their service as they checked their database for me. Thank you very much for reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

bzylg010 wrote: »
    Well maybe I got it wrong, if it's a "covered up chase" who should I contact to fix all this? I think it's pretty early 11 am when he came and it was thursday. And we are able to use their service as they checked their database for me. Thank you very much for reply!

Well if your paying for TV and can't receive the signal down the cable it's their responsibility to come out and fix it.... I would not be paying for something i can not use!

Once you can receive the TV signal down the cable there's no reason you shouldn't be able to get broadband, once it is in your area.

Its unusual for coaxial cable to break at a specific point, Its more usual for to have a doggy connection some where along the line.

Have you examined the exact route your cable takes? is it a house or apt?
    Can you identify any joints in the cable?

For example my ntl cable runs up the back wall of the house, into the attic across the attic, then out at the front where its connected to the main NTL line.... In the middle of the attic there's a joint in the cable which has given problems before....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

would the whole point be plastered over and the point is there but just hidden. Is there a TV point in a neighbours place where you don't have one? It might just be a case of finding the plastered over point and tapping the plaster out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

Stoner wrote: »
    would the whole point be plastered over and the point is there but just hidden. Is there a TV point in a neighbours place where you don't have one? It might just be a case of finding the plastered over point and tapping the plaster out.

Does this satalite cable work for sky plus? Im wiring for NTL cable with a connection point in the attic. I wouldnt mind being able to change to sky or sky+ without having to drill new holes in the wall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

oxygen wrote: »
    Does this satalite cable work for sky plus? Im wiring for NTL cable with a connection point in the attic. I wouldnt mind being able to change to sky or sky+ without having to drill new holes in the wall.

it depends, CT100 will do both (as it does in my place) and as you know you'll need two cables for Sky +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 897 ✭✭✭oxygen_old

well I do know now

Advertisement