Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Carisma 1.6

Options
  • 29-12-2008 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭

Hello,

what can you tell me about Mitsubishi Carisma 1.6

It is quite interesting car pricewise, you can get a 97-98 for around 1k

But does it have any issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Ger the man

Im on my 2nd one and can vouch for SUPER reliability, make sure it drives well and has been looked after, also check for FSH and NCT. Mitsubishi's do not break!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭itarumaa

yeah, that would be the idea, get a car that I dont have to fix all the time:)

Carisma might be good for that then,

any more comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'd a 99 one some years back. Ultra reliable, nippy too but bored me to tears! They should of called it a Mitsubishi LackofCarisma

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Actully, it's the only car I made a profit on. Bought it for €5000 Oct 2004 and sold it 7 months later, April 2005, for €5500!!

yes it definitely a bit boring car, but I dont mind about that.

I think it has more street credit than my current car Matiz anyway.

How is the Carisma to drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just avoid the 1.8 GDi model as that engine has direct injection and was known for having lots of issues.

1.9 TD from 2001 would be my choice.

OP have you looked at the old Volvo S40, it is basically a Carisma underneath but with better packaging, can be bought for similar money as the Carisma but has a wider range of engines and trim levels.

Both the S40 and Carisma were built in the same factory next to each other, in the Netherlands as a joint venture between Volvo and Mitsubishi.

itarumaa wrote: »
    yes it definitely a bit boring car, but I dont mind about that.

I think it has more street credit than my current car Matiz anyway.

How is the Carisma to drive?

Forgot to mention the boredom! If you want trouble free motoring - buy it, but dont expect anything fancy.

I think I will go for petrol anyway, 1.6l, cheaper road tax and easier to maintain.

I am aware about problems with GDI engine as well.

I have to check Volvo prices as well, however I think that 1.6 Petrol Volvo has a different engine than 1.6 Carisma?

edit: all the Volvo S40 seems to be 1.8 and also around +500 more expensive than Carisma.

I wouldnt rule out the GDi, I put 300k miles on mine with no problems before a truck reversed into it. With regular servicing and provided you dont drive the hell out of it, any of the Carisma models should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,249 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

1.6 S40 was introduced in 2002 but most sold were either 1.8 or 1.9 TD.

Not sure what your budget is but this looks ok price wise:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1278491

Tax difference between 1.6 and 1.9 is not massive over 12 months and the diesel will have a saving between trips to the pump. Maintenance on a diesel is no more expensive than the petrol.

• Advertisement

My budget is around 1k, I could afford to spend more but I have a hard time to find out reasons why.

You can get a nice variety of cars around 1k and I have some car related skills and my friend have loads more. For me 2002 versus 1998 does not mean much, and I think 10+ year old car is far from old. I am not too scared about high milage either, 120-130+ is ok.

Good thing with 1k car is you can sell it 2 years later with around 400 euros and only loose 300e/year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

Mum had one for years, a '96 and it is still on the go. Worthy but dull I think would be about right. Hatch better option than saloon. 1.6 nippy enough as 1.3 underpowered for a car of that size. Generally they are reliable and trouble free, were very popular with car hire companies for years and years. Only concern would be come NCT time should emissions start playing up. Sensors and other electronic bits are expensive and handy to know a good independent mechanic should things need fixing. At a grand its only beer money so worth a punt if in good order and you have a recent NCT cert to go with it.

I think at the current economy etc buyer is the King, so if and when I get the Carisma it better have two years NTC.

I was thinking Avensis as well, but they both seem to be boring ones, except Carisma is much cheaper:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

bazz26 wrote: »
    1.6 S40 was introduced in 2002

Where'd you get that from? The 1.6 litre S40 has been around since late 1997 from what I remember. They are a lot rarer and slower than the 1.8 though and probably best avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭madaboutcars

bazz26 wrote: »
    Just avoid the 1.8 GDi model as that engine has direct injection and was known for having lots of issues.

Speaking from personal experience of this dreadful engine, the OP could do a lot, lot worse than follow this advice.

Even on non reliability issues, please tell me that most 4 cylinder petrol engines are better than this, because it hates to be revved above 4,000 rpm yet it manages to be gutless at low revs at the same time(meaning it needs to be revved to get good performance out of it), while clattering and rattling like an older diesel while it's at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

TomMc wrote: »
    Mum had one for years, a '96 and it is still on the go. Worthy but dull I think would be about right. Hatch better option than saloon. 1.6 nippy enough as 1.3 underpowered for a car of that size. Generally they are reliable and trouble free, were very popular with car hire companies for years and years. Only concern would be come NCT time should emissions start playing up. Sensors and other electronic bits are expensive and handy to know a good independent mechanic should things need fixing. At a grand its only beer money so worth a punt if in good order and you have a recent NCT cert to go with it.

There was a 1.3:eek::eek:? Holy sweet mother, does it move at all?
    VolvoMan wrote: »
    Where'd you get that from? The 1.6 litre S40 has been around since late 1997 from what I remember. They are a lot rarer and slower than the 1.8 though and probably best avoided.

From my memory the 1.8 GDI needs to worked very hard to deliver performance(it can make decent progress if you persist and rev it up towards the 5,000 rpm mark though it sounds very bad), so God only knows how bad the 1.6 is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

@ OP: Galant is the yoke to get, probably get a decent one for about 1500e and they are generally trouble free, unless crashed or something.

The 200 or so you pay on tax, is nothing for the enjoyment of a car that is decently powerful for its size, you would probably get better milage from a 2.0l Carisma/Galant than you would from a 1.6, so its only the tax.

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1282172

135bhp, nct, tax, low milage for its year, you cant go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Forgot to mention the boredom! If you want trouble free motoring - buy it, but dont expect anything fancy.

+1 ultra reliable, boring as fcuk, its like driving a tin can.

thank you for the help,

I have decided to go ahead and get the Carisma,

my Matiz is falling to bits so now is the best time to do something before car fails again and I cannot get to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

great car never breaks down i get about 80-85miles for 10 yo yos :eek:
    but as the rest are saying its boreing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I think Mitsubishi really shot themselves in the foot when they called this car the Carisma. Then again, Mitsubishi were never the greatest at naming their cars. Anyone remember the Starion?:D

Advertisement