Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

satnav mobiles

• 29-12-2008 1:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I have a 6110 Navigator and the satnav works perfectly and it's a very good tool in general.

My dad is impressed with my phone and was looking around for an equivalent. I can't find any others for a comparison unless you go for this Nokia maps, A-GPS equivalent which seems to be full of compromises and hidden charges.

Are there any real competitors to the 6110?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

alot of the higher N series (N78 (i have this one) - n95 etc) have GPS as well as aGPS.
    you dont have to use the aGPS since it costs the price of the data connection.
    Im not very impressed with the GPS in my N78. only got it to work the odd time.
    picked up the nokia bluetooth GPS module and use that with something else and its pretty good.
    and i do have a GPS unit itsself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

not really, its one of the first of its kind.
    The iphone is almost there, but it doesnt do turn by turn..
    A 'real' gps might be more worthwhile. They tend to be more powerfull, have more features(gps related) and have a larger screen..
    It does of course depend on its intended use, a GPS would be best in a car because its much less fidely (large touchscreen buttons etc)
    A phone might be better when walking etc cause its smaller..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

samhail wrote: »
    alot of the higher N series (N78 (i have this one) - n95 etc) have GPS as well as aGPS.
    you dont have to use the aGPS since it costs the price of the data connection.
    Im not very impressed with the GPS in my N78. only got it to work the odd time.
    picked up the nokia bluetooth GPS module and use that with something else and its pretty good.
    and i do have a GPS unit itsself.
    Those phones wont do full turn by turn without additional subscriptions and charges..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I put Garmin Mobile XT on my E71 and get spoken turn directions from it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

robinph wrote: »
    I put Garmin Mobile XT on my E71 and get spoken turn directions from it now.

Is this costly?? Don't they use an SD card and if so, does this mean you lose other features as a consequence???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've said too much already.

<runs away>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Vodafone have the v1520 - it's their version of the Asus P550. Very nice and responsive 3.5'' touchscreen, very speedy processor.
    It has gps built-in but you need to get software (though google maps works great with it):
    It's one of the best wm phones I've ever used! Totally underrated due to it's, ahem, 'slight' bulkiness ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

robinph wrote: »
    I've said too much already.

<runs away>

buh???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

cantdecide wrote: »
    buh???

Think he may be talking about the "heavily discounted" ;) software-only versions downloadable from some sites.

Just to let the OP know Nokia aren't the only crowd who have GPS in their phones- in fact Nokia are relative late-comers to GPS.
    Others worth looking at are HTC, Samsung, Asus and Eten.
    HTC have devices like:
    HTC Touch Pro
    HTC Touch Diamond
    HTC Touch Cruise/o2 xda orbit II
    HTC p3300/o2 xda orbit
    HTC p3600/Trinity
    HTC Kaiser/Tytn II
    HTC Advantage
    HTC s740.

Eten's offerings include:
    Eten X500/X500+/M700/X800/V900
    and there's a good few Asuses and Samsungs with GPS.
    There's also the iphone 3g but in terms of satnav software, options are limited.

Just to broaden your options.

• Advertisement
Advertisement