Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Transport England to Ireland

Options
  • 29-12-2008 1:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hello,

Does anybody know of any reliable equine transport companies which take horses from England to Ireland on the return leg only?

I have moved back to Ireland from England recently and I am looking to bring my 16.2 hh warmblood back to Dublin (he is being looked after by friends at the moment).

Only two companies have returned my calls/emails and I am wondering if anyone has used any others or heard of any others that they would recommend?

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Dita

Hi,

A friend of mine used Doran Equine Transport, brought a gelding to north UK for them. They were very good and horse arrived happy.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 lambec3

Oh! That's one of the two companies that got back to me! They had very reasonable rates and seemed really nice. Only needed one week notice as well. I'm glad to hear positive feedback.

Thanks for your reply :)

Another option is to borrow a box and drive over and pick him up.

Does anyone know any idea how much it would be to travel in the ferry to wales from dublin with a car and horsebox??

Also any advice on my previous question would be awesome!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Tanzanite

Dorans are great.I think its around €600 return for car and trailer.cheaper to use a company :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fiddichs

Hi,

I brought my horses over from Ireland.

Dunlop are quite good and then I also used C&C transport. I used them as the horses come in a Lorry rather than a trailer. I did not want my horses coming all that way in a trailer.

• Advertisement

Thanks I'll check them out too :)

Just looked at c&c looks like they're in north yorkshire where the horse currently is so that may be handy!!

thanks again for the suggestions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭cormywormy

Hi you should really give brookfields a call there are based in wales i think, They brought a tractor over from england for me and the truck was a huge horse box. They are the best when it comes to moving any animals from cows to fish. Type there name into google and you will get their website brookfields-removals.They transport animals all over europe. let me know how you get on with them.

So that Brookfields website was the funniest website ever....FISH!!! i never knew you could transport them like that!!

Thanks for that, I contacted them too-they look like nice people and the trucks seem in good condition. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 sj55

There is a company recomended in this thread that I would NOT use. Due to an ongoing legal issue I can not go into further detail at this point. I will say that price is not the most important issue. The biggest boxes often mean that horses travel the longest journeys. Our horse had been on a lorry for several days and dragged all round Scotland and England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Fiddichs

I agree although I think this is something the owner should clarify when they make the arrangements.
    I had 2 horses brought from the North east of England and I made sure that I knew when they were being picked up and what time they would arrive, what ferry etc

• Advertisement

These guys are meant to be good.

http://www.expressequineeurope.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 jess_cork

I've used Ballinrobe transport before and was very impressed with the service. Not the cheapest but very good value for money IMO. Great handlers and the lorry was top class as regards horse comfort. They would definately be my first choice in future.

Thank you for all the responses!

I have decided to go with a small company my yard owner recommended up North. Prices are excellent and include stabling, feed, hay, water if the truck will be collecting other horses.

This means that he will not be cooped up in the truck for longer than a few hours, and his travel gear will be taken off over night so he can have a roll and scratch!! He's a laid back dude so he should be fine!!

Thanks again for all the help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 CarlaAnkiah

Hi

In the next month or so I am hoping to transport my two ponies and my horse from England into Ireland as I am moving to Ireland. I have my own horsebox and will be transporting them myself. Has anyone done this before or know the legal procedure? From what I have read so far the ferry company needs prior notification but I also read I need a licence from Defra to confirm they are all worth more than £300 (something to do with preventing horses being transported for slaughter!). I have emailed DEFRA but its been days and no responce :(
    They are all passported but only one is microchipped, not sure if I need the other two chipped as well?
    I have hunted the web for more advise but no luck so far, so if anybody knows more than me, please share :)

With regards to the original post about finding a transport company... a friend of mine transported a yearling from the USA to England. Her transport company advised her the route, where each of the overnight stablings were (horses should only be transported for so many hours each day before they legally have to be turned out or stabled for x amount of hours) I would certainly recomend getting full details on your horses route and time schedual before commiting to using a company. You don't want your horse stuck on a box for 14hrs! Especially since many transport companies don't provide Hay for them to much during the journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 extratime

The law regarding length of time a horse may travel is 24 hours followed by 24 hour break. I would certainly not advise travelling hourses for a straight 24 hours - but that is the actual law. They must be offered food and water after 8 hours.

A minimum valuation is not required for horses, but is required for animals under 148cms. You need an export lic. for the ponies. You can find the EXH2 (DEFRA export lic for ponies) here: http://www.defra.gov.uk/corporate/docs/forms/awelf/EXH2.pdf This form along with the minimum valuation certificate (if you have them insured, a copy of the insurance value will do) will need to be sent to DEFRA. Alternatively if you do not have this, send a letter saying that they are your family pets and that you are relocating to Ireland.

You do not have to have them microchipped to travel over.

You will have to book onto the ferry as "freight" and advise them that you are carrying horses.

Hi

Thanks for the information... I will need to apply for an export licence for my two ponies as they are 14hh + 13.2hh. There value is well above £300 as they are show ponies but I don't have them insured other than third party so it doesn't state their value on the insurance certificate. I will contact them stating they are family pets.

Thanks again

Carla

• Registered Users Posts: 25 extratime

You will have no problem with that, just send it in with the Export Lic application. Include the description of ponies (names exactly as on the passport) and the passport issuer and passport numbers. I can't pm you as I have not enough posts made - or I would send you a sample letter.

Thats ok... thanks for your help. Hopefully I won't get any problems (fingers are crossed) I have a few weeks to sort it all out, at least I am heading the right direction now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

Hi, just reading all posts on this thread - ive just imported a welsh cob from wales to ireland - talk about headache!!! Paid 300 for a single journey and although the filly was taken care of i never knew when she was collected or dropped off as the company which was mentioned on one of the first six posts never once let me know even though i tried ringing them a zillion times!!!!!
    Best of luck to carlaAnkia - maybe if you contact a few transport companies and ask them re hints or help on travel and documentation im sure they`d help - found the n.ireland ones exp helpful! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Watermoon

mack2 wrote: »
    Hi, just reading all posts on this thread - ive just imported a welsh cob from wales to ireland - talk about headache!!! Paid 300 for a single journey and although the filly was taken care of i never knew when she was collected or dropped off as the company which was mentioned on one of the first six posts never once let me know even though i tried ringing them a zillion times!!!!!
    Best of luck to carlaAnkia - maybe if you contact a few transport companies and ask them re hints or help on travel and documentation im sure they`d help - found the n.ireland ones exp helpful! :)

Can fully support above statement. Used same company (think we all know which one) and tried contacting them several times. Never knew where my horse was and when he eventually arrived I couldnt believe the state of him. Thin and in shock from the 3 week journey. The guy the transport company works with in England lost his transport licence last year. Hope the same will happen to the Irish lad.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 mack2

For my sins i bought another pony in wales and used a guy that has a small transport company in the Offaly area.......he was GREAT - even sent me a pic of the pony when he collected her and looked after her brill! :D
    So there are decent transporters out there - just few and very far in between!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

As per forum charter, please don't drag up old threads. Thanks. C.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement