Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a Rationale for Tattooing ?

• 29-12-2008 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

People who get tattoos done are, imho, making a statement but what are they saying ? Historically, tattoos were the preserve of seafarers but what can explain the current outbreak among landlubbers ?

Plus why do some get tattoos in body areas where they themselves cannot see them ? Shoulder blades, small of back, neck, etc.
    It seems to be inspired or at least have it's origins in the modern day cult of celebrity, right or wrong ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

They're cool.

I don't have one though because I used to think GI Joe was cool and am therefore afraid of artistic permanence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Hi Abraham.

Just wanted to know if you're aware that there's a body modification forum on boards that covers tattoos and piercings.

Would you like me to move your question there? I'm more than happy for you to ask the assembled medical community for their opinion on it, but let me know if you'd like me to move the thread.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭Abraham

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Hi Abraham.

Just wanted to know if you're aware that there's a body modification forum on boards that covers tattoos and piercings.

Would you like me to move your question there? I'm more than happy for you to ask the assembled medical community for their opinion on it, but let me know if you'd like me to move the thread.

Cheers.

Ok Tallaght - wasn't aware of the body piercing forum and think it would be very proper to move it there. I'd be interested to see a wide expression of views from a variety of standpoints. Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Hope this is ok in here guys.

Cheers :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Tattooing has been going on for centuries, well before sailors.
    The tribal tattooing was done for many reasons, marking transition from adolescence to adulthood, marriage, marks of courage, bravery and so on

for the sailors it was to mark each port they've visited as far as i know

modern tattooing has come on and so have the reasons for getting tattooed.
    it was seen as a mark of criminals and undesirables for quite a while ,associated with the punk movement, gangs and more.

Now it's developed on and has moved from the back streets to boutiques/studios. Really is an art :)
    As for the reasons why people nowadays get them again, whole host of reasons

memorial ink to commemorate as loved one who has died, to be seen as cool, to be seen as tough, some people do it just because they want art on themselves.

me i got mine done because i liked the design :-/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

And some of us just have a general love of tattoos, and buy books about it and all sorts.

Can't really think of anything else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭hallstatt

Ive lots of them, there becomming more acceptable in ireland.spent a lot of my life abroad in different countries where people dont look twice at them.were always a little bit "strange" here in ireland with stuff. And if seafarers is not in our irish blood I dont know where it is.

Advertisement