Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The inevitable questions thread

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Just read the whole thread "why do ppl hate veggies?" and now I've a bit of a headache (must be lack of protein and vitamins and omega oils...:P) and felt like something a bit more light hearted.

One of my good friends is vegetarian (I'm vegan) so veggie issues often come up in conversation when we're around eachother, and we usually end up reciting to eachother the recent ignorant, weird or down-right idiotic questions we get asked if we find ourselves in the situation when our eating habits are being questioned.

I've been asked:

"but....do you eat sausages?":confused:

"what can you make with salad?"

"what do you eat when you go to McDonalds?" (surprisingly I've had this one a lot)

I know theres more but I can't think of them right now, anyway I wanted to hear about others experiences of this and have a giggle or just be shocked at how some peoples mind's work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

from the last few months...
    do you eat chicken?
    do you eat feta cheese (i'm vegan)?
    how about a prawn salad?
    would you like the garlic mushrooms? (i explained to the waitress that surely there would be butter in that - oh yes, she replies)

meh. it's up to us to thoroughly explain the term (veggie/vegan). anyone unfamiliar with it will ask questions which seem silly to us. has to be accepted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

meh. it's up to us to thoroughly explain the term (veggie/vegan). anyone unfamiliar with it will ask questions which seem silly to us. has to be accepted!

Very true!
    You must remember that Veggie covers a very laarge spectrum of people (to non vegies like myself).
    From people who will eat Fish and/or Fowl or eggs etc.
    Also get people who will not eat meat but will wear wool/leather etc.

Can be confusing to our meat addled brains

Edit: also could be worse
    Me: I thought that you were vegetarian?
    Other: Yeah I am, why?
    Me: why are you eating jellies, don't they have geletine?
    Other: Sh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Very true!
    You must remember that Veggie covers a very laarge spectrum of people (to non vegies like myself).
    From people who will eat Fish and/or Fowl or eggs etc.

Those people need to read a dictionary. If someone says they're vegetarian you should assume they don't eat meat, poultry and fish and not assume they're someone who doesn't fully understand the word and calls themselves a vegetarian when they're not.

My father was out for an xmas meal recently... and was struggling with a foreign waitress to see what the chef could make him, another person at the table asked why he was getting special treatment and allowed to take something that wasn't on the set menu and the waitress turned and said: "This man has a problem, and we have to help people with problems,"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭SAVE_ME.222

do you eat chicken?

I got this 1 asked a couple of times. What the feck do they think chickens are like, plants?

"This man has a problem, and we have to help people with problems,"

lol!

SAVE_ME.222 - I think that peoples issue with chicken is that it is 'white meat' and so many people say they are veggie, then add, that they are basically not eating 'red meat'. I've heard it way too often...

• Advertisement

lol!

SAVE_ME.222 - I think that peoples issue with chicken is that it is 'white meat' and so many people say they are veggie, then add, that they are basically not eating 'red meat'. I've heard it way too often...

Yeah you are right, it just annoys me because I think the cruelty to chickens is probably the worst among all farmyard animals. I got a good laugh out of it when I first went vegetarian and my dad asked me "well are you still gonna eat chicken"..

:confused: :eek: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Those people need to read a dictionary. If someone says they're vegetarian you should assume they don't eat meat, poultry and fish and not assume they're someone who doesn't fully understand the word and calls themselves a vegetarian when they're not.
    I wonder which is more common though. If it is more common for people to claim they are veggies which does not agree with your definition -then it would be more sensible for people to presume that is the case.

There are probably devout catholics, laughing saying "yer man says he is catholic, but only last week I heard him take the lords name in vain as he was washing his car on the sabbath"
    I got a good laugh out of it when I first went vegetarian and my dad asked me "well are you still gonna eat chicken"..
    And I am sure many dads had a good laugh when their son/daughter replied "yes of course I will still eat chicken", or maybe they didn't laugh, as they realise people have different personal definitions, whether they agree with dictionaries or not. Many seem to be sneering and laughing at other peoples apparent ignorance, but they might not be ignorant in many cases.
    I've heard it way too often...
    Maybe most people have too, and are enquiring to see if you are ignorant yourself, or have a different definition to their own....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

Those people need to read a dictionary.

A dictionary might be the last thing they need. From the Oxford Compact English Dictionary:

"Vegetarian: A person who abstains from eating meat, and sometimes also fish, eggs and dairy products."

So apparently fish at least is OK as long as you choose the right dictionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭bythewoods

I was recently at a function with a set menu.
    There were 4 choices, including "Vegetarian Option".
    So, without asking what exactly it was I chose that.
    A few minutes later a plate of fish was presented to me.

How disgusted was I?

Some of the great questions include:
    "How do you afford it?" (Vegetarianism is cheaper, dammit!)
    "What about when you go on holidays? Do you eat meat then?"

etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

At this point I'd just like to say that this is meant as just a bit of fun, these are experiences we've had. Obviously not every meat-eater encountered drops clangers like these. Just a select few, so anyone who thinks they're being attacked or called stupid, Relax!!You're not
    bythewoods wrote: »

Hahaha priceless:D Like being a veggie is work, holidays are meat feast time!

I remembered another one, it wasn't really a question it was more an exclamation of disbelief.

On hearing I don't eat meat, a college friend said the following:
    "but like...a burger like" *makes shape of holding burger with hands while looking like she was about to burst into tears*

:confused:

• Advertisement

How disgusted was I?

!!!

lol, exactly. I was having sunday lunch in a pub with my friends a while ago and got a full plate of potatoes, carrots, turnips, parsnips, stuffing, etc for about €3. The exact same dish (for them) with a chicken fillet was €11 ????

I think you were getting a good deal there! Usually a plate of veg would cost you more :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Locomotion

I'm surprised this question hasn't come up yet:

What do you eat for Christmas dinner?!

I can't go a calendar year without getting asked that at least a dozen times!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah yeah get that, hilarious that somebody can't understand not eating a random bird on a random day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Longerview

Locomotion wrote: »
    I'm surprised this question hasn't come up yet:

They really can't help themselves,Christmas means... Christmas DINNER and Christmas dinner means TURKEY...and they HAVE to know "what do you do for Christmas dinner"...sad not to have an imagination.. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

Locomotion wrote: »

Really? I've only ever been asked this once.

I'm only ever asked
    • What do you eat???
    And if I'm half way through a bag of crisps, someone will always ask "Are you able to eat them?" It's like, no, but I just happen to be nearly finished the bag!!

I was talking to one of my cousins about how vegans have to check labels because there's milk in everythnig and another cousin turned and asked really confusdly "Do you eat meat?" So funny at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

Well as a very recent vegan I haven't had to field too many questions yet... explaining to my mother was hilarious though...

Mother: So you can eat eggs?
    Me: No..no I can't.
    Mother: Right. Are you sure you can't have meat? I mean, a cow is just like a walking tomato really.
    Me: Sure, except the cow is a living animal
    Mother: Ah but I'm sure they don't mind.
    Me: Right, but no, no meat.
    Mother: But if we didn't eat meat there wouldn't be any cows. They need us to eat them or they wouldn't exist.

Then I had to go and lie down in a quiet, darkened room for a while...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

How disgusted was I?

Some of the great questions include:

etc etc

I know, it's so proposterous, I sometimes wonder are they from Trigger Happy tv or something and trying to wind me up for entertainment.

Anyone from Galway here? Lohan's in Salthill have a "V" symbol beside a number of fish dises including tuna steak salad, scallops, prawns etc.

Unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I get annoyed by questions starting with "are you ALLOWED to eat...."

I usually reply with "of course I'm allowed" - confused faces. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Wudyaquit

The most inevitable is surely "But, why?". The truth is obviously the easiest answer to this one, but sometimes you don't want to start into some discussion on morality with someone you've just met in a pub.
    Anyone have the magic answer that gets people to leave you alone about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

We were at a function recently and my oh, who knows my reasons, asked another veggie why to see if it was different. The man replied: "I don't like to speak about it with people i don't know well, it makes me feel like i'm lecturing" which i thought was fair enough and obviously the voice of experience :)

Wudyaquit wrote: »

I just tell people that I'm not going to go into it, but that they can look it up on the internet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I was asked a various array of questions yesterday by a work colleague.

It went something like this...

Colleague: Would you like a yoghurt raisin?
    Me: No thanks
    Colleague: ah go on
    Me: No thank you
    C: I thought you might like them coz you're all into that health food and stuff
    Me: It's not health food, I'm Vegan
    C: You're VEGAN? But it's only yoghurt
    Me: Nope, no dairy or eggs thanks
    C: But WHY? Do you eat fish? It's only a stupid fish
    Me: :confused: No I dont eat fish either
    C: What About tuna?
    Me: ....no, it's a fish
    C: ah but what if it's dolphin friendly tuna?
    Me: :confused: but the tuna itself is fish!!!!
    C: Yeah but it's not a dolphin

....a VERY important email arrived at this point...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭-lala-

I was asked a various array of questions yesterday by a work colleague.

It went something like this...

Colleague: Would you like a yoghurt raisin?
    Me: No thanks
    Colleague: ah go on
    Me: No thank you
    C: I thought you might like them coz you're all into that health food and stuff
    Me: It's not health food, I'm Vegan
    C: You're VEGAN? But it's only yoghurt
    Me: Nope, no dairy or eggs thanks
    C: But WHY? Do you eat fish? It's only a stupid fish
    Me: :confused: No I dont eat fish either
    C: What About tuna?
    Me: ....no, it's a fish
    C: ah but what if it's dolphin friendly tuna?
    Me: :confused: but the tuna itself is fish!!!!
    C: Yeah but it's not a dolphin

....a VERY important email arrived at this point...

HA!!!!!!!!

That made my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Wudyaquit wrote: »
    The most inevitable is surely "But, why?". The truth is obviously the easiest answer to this one, but sometimes you don't want to start into some discussion on morality with someone you've just met in a pub.

I'd imagine "I'm allergic" would end the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Kooli

Wow the smugness and self-satisfaction in this thread is pretty amazing!

I'm glad you're all so pleased with yourselves, must feel good.

And that's pretty amazing that you can interpret a question about what you eat for Christmas dinner as some sort of pathetic lack of imagination - well I for one don't know what you would eat for Christmas dinner - yes I could use my imagination, and decide that you eat peas, rice and mango chutney. What the hell would the point of that be? I would ask because I would actually want to know the real answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Kooli wrote: »
    Wow the smugness and self-satisfaction in this thread is pretty amazing!

I'm glad you're all so pleased with yourselves, must feel good.

And that's pretty amazing that you can interpret a question about what you eat for Christmas dinner as some sort of pathetic lack of imagination - well I for one don't know what you would eat for Christmas dinner - yes I could use my imagination, and decide that you eat peas, rice and mango chutney. What the hell would the point of that be? I would ask because I would actually want to know the real answer!!

:rolleyes: I usually answer 'oh everything but the meat, I eat all the veg and spuds and sauces, yum!' to which I still get blank looks and 'what, no turkey??? No ham???'. If it was a religious choice I'm sure I wouldn't get the Spanish inquistion.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭actua11

I've been a veggie for a whole 2 months now and I finally got the 'What'll you be having for christmas question' (In Febuary) I seriously didn't think it existed outside this thread! Go figure:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

This thread gave ma few chuckles, even the smugness of us all :D

I think I was 5 or 6 and this was my first real questioning, me and my brother were being minded by an elderly lady.
    Her: Now here's some ham.
    Me: *shyly* No thank you. I don't eat meat.
    Her: Why don't you eat meat? Go on, have some!
    Me: No, I'm good, thank you.
    Her: If you taste this you, you'll eat it forever. None of this veg-ma-thing.
    Me: No thank you. I won't like it.
    Her: *getting irritated, while holding a sharp knife* EAT IT!!
    Me: *shakes head, starts crying* :o
    Her: Oh...um...I'll get you some lettuce!
    My brother: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement