Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AUS Visa's being refused??

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone heard that Aus have stopped giving out 417 working holiday visas? I've over heard this from a number of people the last few days. I've a number of friends who are heading over in a couple of months but they have yet to even apply for the Visa. Can't see/find anything re this myself.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭trailerparkboy

Yes the edge i have heard the same, luckily i have mine already. Now they will defintely in the next year clamp down on whv no doubt about it, aus will go into recession nexy year and probaly tens of thousands of irish are going to apply for whv, there no way aus is going to let unlimited amount of people in espically when they will also be in recession. My advice to anybody apply for the visa quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Apparently they've just stopped processing the Visa. This will resume on the 5th Jan.
    This was from Usit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Why would they stop giving out WHVs? Surely they bring a lot of money into the Australian economy. I know I brought over €5000+ and every penny was put into their economy plus whatever I earned there. I can understand them clamping down on other visas but some one on a WHV who becomes a burden on the Australian tax payer just gets sent home so I can't see what clamping down or minimizing the number of them would achieve apart from hit their tourist industry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Why would they stop giving out WHVs? Surely they bring a lot of money into the Australian economy. I know I brought over €5000+ and every penny was put into their economy plus whatever I earned there. I can understand them clamping down on other visas but some one on a WHV who becomes a burden on the Australian tax payer just gets sent home so I can't see what clamping down or minimizing the number of them would achieve apart from hit their tourist industry

Yup it would hit the tourists industry all right

...but every job you took, now with increasing unemployemnet and huge amounts of relatively unskilled labour out of work from the mines and building, perhaps they want hese positions to be available for natives.

I know the skilled migration vsia has been made harder for this reason with the occupations on the favorued list slashed.

I read in the papers a reskilling regime for Aussies is now being favoured over offering visa s for areas where skills are lacking. Makes sense with unemployemnt now rising here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

I think the tourist dollars garnered may be irrelevant. Ireland is going into meltdown. 10-15% unemployed by year end and it will be some time before it comes back down. Equally, the Australian economy ( Im in Perth now) is contracting. Unemployment here will definitely rise in 2009 possibly going as high as 8-9%. This has already led to calls to restrict the number of what are in effect "guest workers" to ensure Australians get jobs. Combine this with a massive increase in the number of Irish and other applicants for visas ( about 9 million workers will lose their jobs in the developed world next year at least) Oz will tighten things up. I think its inevitable. Get your visa now boys and girls!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

I'll prob buy mine this week I think. It's good to use up to a year right? (eg I have 1 year to actually head over)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

i really don't know where you hear these things. Maybe they stopped processing them because they're on xmas holidays? I'd say a large percentage of WHVers from Ireland barely work at all and blow all their savings and take their credit cards for a ride down here too. We must be worth millions to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

No mention of any them being stopped on either

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/home.html

or

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/

so i'm sure they are still being given out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

This is already appening with occupation demand list havuing been reduced.
    Im not sure will this have any efect on the WHV but it certanly is where the rumour is coming from and it is half true...

http://www.craddock.com.au/Document/Migrant-intake-cut.aspx

Migrant intake cut

Author: Craddock Murray Neumann Lawyers

Publish Date: Nov 02, 2008

Due to the global financial crisis and amid fears the economy will slow, Australia’s intake of migrants will be significantly cut next year.

Immigration Minister, Chris Evans, said the intake was closely linked to the state of the economy and the demand for labour.

“If there is a drop in demand for skills and labour in the economy, you would expect that you would run a smaller migration program,” Mr Evans said. “I’d envisage certainly that the migration program for next year would be smaller than this year.”

Senator Evans stressed no decision to cut the intake and by what per cent will be set in stone until the lead up to next year’s budget in May.

Prime Minister, Kevin Rudd, first flagged the possibility of cutting the migrant quota two weeks ago.

“We adjust (the migrant quota) according to economic circumstances,” Mr Rudd said on 9 October.

More than 200,000 migrants are entering Australia annually after the Government increased the intake by 20 per cent this year. A further 110, 000 people are arriving on temporary work visas.

Employer-driven migration schemes, such as the 457 temporary skilled worker program, could start to slow with the diminishing labour market demand.

“It stands to reason that if economic activity was to come off, demand from employers for temporary labour was to come off, then the numbers for the 457 scheme would come off,” Senator Evans said. “You’d expect there’d be a direct relationship.”

Global economic downturn would affect people’s ability to travel, resulting in a reduction in other forms of migration, such as the working holiday program.

Amid growing fear that local workers might be laid off before temporary skilled workers, who in many cases are paid less, Senator Evans said the Government will be putting Australia jobs first.

“People on temporary work visas in this country are that – temporary, here to fill the skills vacancies in the Australian economy that exist,” Senator Evans said.

Senator Evans stressed the 457 program exists to supplement the local labour force, not undercut it.

Senator Evans said he believed Australia would continue to run large migration programs for the next 30 to 40 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

:(

This would be double plus un-good

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭lady_j

As they face a downturn, they will get more picky about giving out WHV. I imagine they will start interviewing applicants and check the applicants funds.This has been happening for the past few years to Australians applying to Ireland and UK for WHV(or whatever the relevant term is here). I just means they won't be as easy to get, but can't see them stopping them any time soon. It generates so much money for tourism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Got mine but it took longer than the two days it used to be. When I was there on holiday alot of people were stating as fact that the programme had been cut.

Proportionately we are one of the largest applicants (along with Koreans presumably, given the amt over there), with our economy going to hell and half the people I know at least considering a move it wasnt gonna last forever.

Job market still decent there? Im going next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i applied for mine mid december, and it was granted just before xmas. maybe it's cos i begged in a particularly nice manner, but i never heard a word about them being denied.

of course, since, i have heard heaps of tales of people not even getting work fruitpicking, and locals not finding any work, etc...

job market seems to be very much on its way to recession status...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Davexirl

I applied for mine on the 21st of December and got it granted on the 23rd of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 FIBUA

sames as above applied for mine yesterday got it today

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭Davexirl

$195 so in or around a €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Regulator79

So perhaps the answer to the question is this:

1. For now, the visas are still relatively easy to get
    2. Given the worsening state of the global economy this may change. Soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

I applied for mine and got it in under an hour. Cost around €100

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 MickeyPD

Davexirl wrote: »
    $195 so in or around a €100

Hey,

Who di you use for the VISA?

I was gonna use visafirst but it's €250 i think.
    They also give you the following with it:

Bank Account
    International Drivers License
    SIM Card with $10 credit on it etc. etc..

Does the crowd you used give you this aswell?

PS: I'm planning on heading to Sydney to start my years careers break on the 1st of March.

Regards,
    Michael

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭eringobragh

MickeyPD wrote: »
    Hey,

Who di you use for the VISA?

I was gonna use visafirst but it's €250 i think.
    They also give you the following with it:

Bank Account

Does the crowd you used give you this aswell?

PS: I'm planning on heading to Sydney to start my years careers break on the 1st of March.

Regards,
    Michael

NO there a rip off all that stuff can be acquired through the proper channels quite easy don't bother

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

MickeyPD wrote: »

Bank Account

1. Go to tax office and get number
    2. Use that to open bank account
    3. A Sim card costs 2 bucks you can get a 50 bucks top up that gives you 320
    bucks of credit if you use it in a month.

Advertisement