Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Win Server 2003 -70-290

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi all,

I have scheduled to do the Win 2003 exam on the 25th of Jan so the clock is ticking.

I have gotten a book, a couple of machines and no social life, so that much is sorted.

What I am looking for are test kings (as I have found them good in the past) Does anyone have them second hand or any other resources that would be handy for someone in my position?

Advice, tactics, time savers and braindumps would be handy as well.

I have gathered that I will need to understand the subject matter so no stating of the obvious please.

Thanks

blahboy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

blahboy wrote: »
    Hi all,

I have scheduled to do the Win 2003 exam on the 25th of Jan so the clock is ticking.

I have gotten a book, a couple of machines and no social life, so that much is sorted.

What I am looking for are test kings (as I have found them good in the past) Does anyone have them second hand or any other resources that would be handy for someone in my position?

I have gathered that I will need to understand the subject matter so no stating of the obvious please.

Thanks

blahboy

As far as I know TestKing material is not against Microsoft exam policies anymore.

However, I think it would be a sham to use it. I passed this exam from on the job experience, I also read the MS Press book, Took the course and Read the O'Relly MCSE core exams in a nutshell book.

I used VMwares to do stuff that I hadn't get much hands on with (which wasn't much).

This is not a hard exam, don't take the easy way out or you'll be caught when you get to the 70-291

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Hi all,

The simplest answer is don't take the exam, saves you all the time in the world and doesn't add one more paper MCSE to the market. Seriously the only reason to certify is to prove a level of product and technology knowledge, not your knowledge of specific questions. Otherwise it is a complete waste of effort on your part (and as I said devalues the cert for everyone who actually put the effort into earning it).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    The simplest answer is don't take the exam, saves you all the time in the world and doesn't add one more paper MCSE to the market. Seriously the only reason to certify is to prove a level of product and technology knowledge, not your knowledge of specific questions. Otherwise it is a complete waste of effort on your part (and as I said devalues the cert for everyone who actually put the effort into earning it).

+1

And I'd like to wish you the best of luck with the CCIE!
    Hopefully I wont be too far behind you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 blahboy

Well CreeD -

thanks for that sanctimonious lecture - you will note that I have stated an understanding of the subject matter is essential.

However I believe in order to have the best chance of passing an exam it is important to have every advantage possiable. IMO Advice, tactics, time savers and braindumps are part of that chance.

If you can help me with that undertaking I would welcome your advice, if you have nothing helpful to do I would suggest you save your bile for someone who is interested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Ok, first off lets ask the question why people get so pissy when you tell them no, we cant help you cheat your exam.

You are asking people to violate the T&As of the MS MCP Program (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcpexams/policies/nda.mspx)
    • Providing or accepting improper assistance
    • Disseminating actual Exam content
    • Copying, publishing, selling, offering to sell, distributing in any way, or otherwise transferring, modifying, making derivative works of, reverse engineering, decompiling, disassembling, or translating any Exam or any part thereof

So what happens if someone gets caught cheating then... Well in this case, you would loose your MCP status and not be allowed to test with MS again and we could also have the same fate.

So besides you getting turfed out, we could loose our MCP status too...

Secondly, braindumps are not legit testing materials for use in most(if not all) exams. People have before made the comparison that .. well .. we have had past exams for the Leaving and other exams. In this case they are not that. You have past, braindumps are usually current exam material.

MS went after TK and successfully sued them for selling their IP. The settlement was not disclosed but parts of it dictated that TK (and all TK owned sites) must stop selling actual questions from the MCP exams from July 2007.

It was no small job doing this, due to differing copyright definitions in different countries. One country's def of copyright infringement is anothers fair use.

I will say this, I dont care if you cheat, (actually I do a bit but that is not the issue in this case) just dont ask me to help you do it.

I can help you with tactics for exams, this post may help and if you havent done an exam in a while, this should help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Well CreeD -
    However I believe in order to have the best chance of passing an exam it is important to have every advantage possiable. IMO Advice, tactics, time savers and braindumps are part of that chance.

Braindumps are cheating, plain and simple, don't try and justify it any other way. And by the way I didn't go off on you as something like 'scumbag cheating fk', I tried to keep it fair by pointing out for your benefit that it would be a waste of your time. And it would. If you got a job based on an exam you had to cheat to get you would be screwed when you actually started it, it's not hard to spot folks who have done so. Again, FOR YOUR BENEFIT, don't cheat the exam, do it fair and square and you will actually have something solid to show for your time.

I go out of my way to help folks on this and other cert. sites when I can, just been quiet here lately because I mainly focus on Cisco now and there aren't that many questions on it lately. If you have a legitimate question on something I can help with I'd be happy to help, just never mention dumps around me ;).

Now, 70-290 isn't that hard. As iRock mentioned 291 will klll you if you have can't do this one straight up. The first thing you should do is get an Eval copy of Server 2003 from Msoft and VMWare Server. Setup at least 2 DCs and 2 clients as VMs. Take snapshots of each so you can quickly revert. For every major section you do in the books hammer it out on your Lab. Nothing reinforces learning so much as doing. The knowledge in 290 is not a far cry from the XP exam so the theory is not hard, just remembering each little step can be tough, Labbing is your best way to address this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

70-290 is, like most MCP exams, a joke. If you can't walk in off the street and pass this exam, you have no business being near a Win2K3 server.

Don't worry about it. If you aren't brain damaged, you'll pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Now, 70-290 isn't that hard. As iRock mentioned 291 will klll you if you have can't do this one straight up. The first thing you should do is get an Eval copy of Server 2003 from Msoft and VMWare Server. Setup at least 2 DCs and 2 clients as VMs. Take snapshots of each so you can quickly revert. For every major section you do in the books hammer it out on your Lab. Nothing reinforces learning so much as doing. The knowledge in 290 is not a far cry from the XP exam so the theory is not hard, just remembering each little step can be tough, Labbing is your best way to address this.

+1 - the exam is a pretty easy if you have any experience with W2k3/XP - if not the practice exercises in the books will teach you everything you need to know - I found the MS ones brilliant because the split the chapters up into lessons.

The way your post reads to me is that you're about to start studying for this exam from scratch - if this is the case forget braindumps/test exams etc because they should be LAST thing you use in the study process. They're not a learning source - you should be concentrating on getting thru the book and exercises for now and learning from them. Using stuff like braindumps/testkings at this stage will help you learn answers off by heart which will come back and bite you in the a$$ when you're doing practicals in the exams. Trancsenders are pretty good because they give a detailed answers and ref. points on where to look for more info. so handy if you need more info on a weak area but you should be doing a practice exam a handful of times at most - if you don't pass it go back and study some more and try again - don't make the mistake of memorizing stuff - you'll do in unintentionally if you do too many of them.

25th of Jan is do-able but imo you should slow down and take your time. This is an entry level cert - you're not going to get a high paying position from it so getting it in 3 weeks or 3 months makes no difference to anybody else. Your objective for this exam (apart from passing :pac:)is getting the foundation knowledge you'll need for the rest of the exams in the series -take your time now getting to grips with the info and you'll be laughing in future exams.

Advertisement