Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Group Training Sessions - Where & When

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

stmochtas wrote: »
    I will be up to join in on the 21st I hope. All the niggles seem to be under control now and I have been back working hard for 2 weeks. I hope to go down to the BOI beach race on Saturday so i cant make it on the 14th.
    Was thinking about the beach race myself but no way near race shape yet, So will get more from training i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭stmochtas

shels4ever wrote: »
    Was thinking about the beach race myself but no way near race shape yet, So will get more from training i think.

Not sure what shape I am in yet either but going to head there and see. Hopefully the wind is not as strong as last year. The race has a a bit of significance in that it was the first one that I met up with you lads as I missed the teachers event.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

10 am seems to be the best time? hows that for you ??

10am, not too bad I'll be there unless the weathers bad which means I'll stay local.

Woddle wrote: »
    10am, not too bad I'll be there unless the weathers bad which means I'll stay local.
    It's winter its going to be bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

Hey Shels, I'll have to give it a rain check this week. Taking my wife out on Friday night as its her last weekend on maternity leave. So I don't think I'll be fit for it.

Will deffo be there on 21st though, and I will try and do the 4x1000 somewhere locally on Sunday this week.

• Advertisement

True but if it's bad I'd rather finish at my door than get into a wet car for the 25 mins it'll take me to get home, I'm not hardcore like you :D

True but if it's bad I'd rather finish at my door than get into a wet car for the 25 mins it'll take me to get home, I'm not hardcore like you :D
    ah yes I'm hard core:), actually ended up doing a double day today, but only because my car broke down and the taxi would have been a 30 min wait .....

Group session Sat 14th November 10 AM
    Pheonix Park meet at Papal Cross.

4 X 1000m @ 5k pace +15/20 seconds (last of the so called easy weeks :)) going to 1200/1300' on the 21st
    1. Shels4ever
    2. Woddle
    3. Louthandprowd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

4 X 1000m @ 5k pace +15/20 seconds (last of the so called easy weeks :)) going to 1200/1300' on the 21st
    1. Shels4ever
    2. Woddle
    3. Louthandprowd
    just quick question on this, everybody doing these together and how does that work with everybody's different 5k pace? might come along if i can

kennyb3 wrote: »
    just quick question on this, everybody doing these together and how does that work with everybody's different 5k pace? might come along if i can

At the moment we havent had that problem with people finishing around the same pace, As its a 1k rep the difference in times wont be that great so we will try to start the next rep as a group where possible.
    what is your current 5k time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Wouldn't mind giving this a go, but I really do think that my pace would be far too slow to keep up with the group. :(

Wouldn't mind giving this a go, but I really do think that my pace would be far too slow to keep up with the group. :(

Don't worry about that , we would sort something out i'm sure , Could start with a sorter loop so that you can start and finish with the group, Once we get more people coming out the pace/groups should be easier to arrange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Racing Flat

1. Shels4ever
    2. Woddle
    3. Louthandprowd

Hopefully see you there, join you for some.

An easy enough way round this - if you're all doing 1k, you can start together, those who finish first can jog around near he finish, wait for all theothers to regroup, continue the jogging until the next start. If there is a big discrepancy and you want a set recovery e.g. 90secs, this might not work too well, so a good thing to do is work off time - e.g. 3 mins, slower people can do a shorter loop and all do the recovery jog together in between the intervals, or if doing the same loop, the faster ones who cover more distance can jog back to the slower ones and then do the rest of the recovery bit together.

we will try to start the next rep as a group where possible.

I think this is a good idea. If it means some take 85 secs and some take 95 secs recovery it's not too much of a biggie, if the discrepancy is much bigger maybe working off time would be better.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Back running now but I've done the last 5 days in a row so I think I'll just go for a light gym session tomorrow, was feeling it in the legs walking round today. Next week maybe.

Edit: Actually I'm working next Saturday :(

Back running now but I've done the last 5 days in a row so I think I'll just go for a light gym session tomorrow, was feeling it in the legs walking round today. Next week maybe.

Edit: Actually I'm working next Saturday :(

ah pity more then welcome to come for the warmup and warm down

did anyone turn up for this? i got out of bed at half 8, had small brekkie, drove over from malahide and got there at about 9.50. couple of groups round the car park, one large one which looked like a club, meeting at 10, good mix of men and women. anyone know who they are? was tempted to ask, but didnt.

few other women doing their own thing. didnt see anyone i recognised, seems like nobody turned up, unless shels you were in silver hyundai and just went off on your own run when nobody else turned up by bout 10.15?

anyway i just headed off on my own and did 45 mins easy.

maybe i got the wrong area, or people stayed in bed when they seen the rain, but pretty disappointed tbh.

anyway running round the park defo opened my eyes that i need a club whether that be boards or another. by that i mean, to compete with in training and push each other, to structure tarining, to do good sessions with. think way too many people here just do miles for the sake of miles.

going to get slated for this but i dont care - people need to take look at themselves and stop wearing that boards vest at races if they arent prepared to help shels, woddle, peckham and others who give up their time and effort. (and yeah i know loads are from down the country, at different levels etc). that includes myself.

im away next sat, but every sat after that up to xmas i ll be there at 10. and as for winter weather people need to HTFU - get a bloody shower after you get soaked. you wont die.

if nobody is going to turn up boards ac will just be a discussion area and wearing them vests is promoting the site - not the club

rant over. abuse away.

Brian

their own thing. didnt see anyone i recognised, seems like nobody turned up, unless shels you were in silver hyundai and just went off on your own run when nobody else turned up by bout 10.15?

Hi There, PM sent , Yep that was me hung around until 10:10/15 when nobody showed up jsut went of myself.

Hi kennyb, you seemed a bit peed off.
    I di not put my name down to say I'd be there, someone else did, I sent a message to Shels 2 days ago to say I wouldn't be there, in the end I've taken the day off to help a mate put down my new floors.
    Not to sure why your annoyed at the singlets either, to me they do the job of getting you to meet fellow boardsies at races. This club was setup for those who didn't want to join a more formal club were they have set training times. Now some people do want that and shels is trying to get this going but you can't knock people for the sake of it. Maybe if you and shels were both wearing your singlets yous would have known who each other was :D
    Sounds like you want something that the club currently can't offer.
    Sorry

Hi kennyb, you seemed a bit peed off.
    I di not put my name down to say I'd be there, someone else did, I sent a message to Shels 2 days ago to say I wouldn't be there, in the end I've taken the day off to help a mate put down my new floors.
    Not to sure why your annoyed at the singlets either, to me they do the job of getting you to meet fellow boardsies at races. This club was setup for those who didn't want to join a more formal club were they have set training times. Now some people do want that and shels is trying to get this going but you can't knock people for the sake of it. Maybe if you and shels were both wearing your singlets yous would have known who each other was :D
    Sounds like you want something that the club currently can't offer.
    Sorry
    woddle, think you ve taken what i ve said the wrong way as i said to shels by pm i wasnt having go at him or you, quite the opposite. but what i was saying that if this is actually to be a club and not just an advertisement for the discussion board, surely a few people could get together and have a few training sessions. i ve not read the club mission statement and maybe i ve taken the whole idea of this club wrong. i was more giving out to others as you and other people are giving up their time to make this happen and others are taking but giving nothing. sorry if i offended you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

My reasons for keeping on missing these sessions is that I've been racing instead. I do intend to turn up once there happens to be no races on at the same time so may well be there next week.

. sorry if i offended you

Not at all Kennyb and maybe I did take you up wrong so my bad, although I don't like the club being compared to an advert for Boards.ie as that is not our intention. I will be joining these sessions myself but as I said to shels I want to get my 6 weeks base building done and not compromise it with sessions.

I got theer too early! Was theer about 9.00 intentionally, plan was to do a bit then warm down with you as you were warming up, but it was so wet, I headed off about 9.45...

I think though the whole point of a 10am meet, somewhere like that is that you can just get going yourself veen if no one else turns up. It might be better again if it was just a case of run starts at magazine fort around the munich loop at 10, then people can join when they arrive, you're not wasting time hanging around. I said to shels, some week there'll be no one others there'll be a few. In a year I bet there's be 10 or more regularly.

Bad day to be hanging around though.

The idea of having the regular session is that it may fit in with people training plans, I'll be there evre sat between now and Feb unless its a race week. Some week there will be more , As the clubs would only have 20'ish members around the country were not going to have huge groups going, but down the line you never know.

One good thing about the loop what we use is that 2-3 clubs are using this at this time on a sat morning and its no problem to time your reps to start at the same time, so even when we are low in numbers you can join in other groups.

One key thing about Boards AC was that selection for club races wuld not be based on showing up for any club session. Its something that was talked about when the club set up. I idea was that setting up . Group sessions are going to be a bonus.

Maybe open this to discussion on the All things Boards AC thread as i'd like to keep this one, with training specific stuff if thats ok :)

shels sorry for going off topic, i ll be there sat week anyway hopefully (in england next week).

shels sorry for going off topic, i ll be there sat week anyway hopefully (in england next week).
    I think your post was on topic :) but raised some issue that would also be more gemeral to the club too :) . The inter XC in on the 28th but i'll be still should be in the park that days as i'm not ready to race yet all depends if hte team need a runner. Will update you before then

Group session Sat 21th November 10 AM

3/4 X 1200/m @ 5k pace +15/20 seconds (
    1. Shels4ever

This week I'll be doing 4 X 1200m :). Next week Sat 28th I will only be doing some easy running as it looks like i'll need to run the inters to make up the team... :eek: But i'll still be in the park for warmup etc...

Group session Sat 21th November 10 AM

3/4 X 1200/m @ 5k pace +15/20 seconds (

1. Shels4ever
    This week I'll be doing 4 X 1200m :). Next week Sat 28th I will only be doing some easy running as it looks like i'll need to run the inters to make up the team... :eek: But i'll still be in the park for warmup etc...

Fair play to you shels4ever for strating this up and keeping it going. It's great to have the option and I'd say it'll get more and more popular every week.

Thanks mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Agree with RF. Next 3 Sats are out for me shels, have college on each one - it's like a 6-day working week!

• Advertisement

Bump.

Advertisement