Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dabs.ie

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭

A few days ago bought a few item froms dabs. Among them was a laptop priced at €777 for the white and pink. Order was fine until they list the white one as discontinued and was forced to cancel but they increased the pink one to €829. Just after cancelling the white one came back as "in stock" with an increased price of €829. Exact same item, is this a sign of bad business practice? Jacking up the price for an item and if its in someones order list it as discontinued. Its perfectly legal according to the help person dabsiepy7.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

I sure it not illegal for shops to increase prices as its not illegal to decrease prices. Maybe the new consignment cost a lot more that their original stock. Prices are changing constantly for products down as well as up.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

In my view its fair to increase an item's price at any time. The thing that seems vague is how they list the item as ''discontinued'' so your order can't process.Thus forcing you to cancel and buy the new inflated price. I left that order for a good 4 days in the ''awaiting processing'' stage, the minute I cancelled the item went out of ''discontinued'' and back in stock :) Seems shady to me. Is this practice not even worthy of a complaint since its normal?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well if I where to guess their back end system would look something like this (simplified):

Item 1, list number 111 @ 777, number in stock 0.
    Item 1, list number 222 @ 829, number in stock 10.

Hence since you're listed with item 1 list number 111 the system would see none available. Once you cancel that order though it would go and pick up the next one available in stock which is number 222 with the new price and display this one as available to you.

Now as far as I understand they never took any cash from you, hence you've not yet actually created a contract with the vendor. Because you don't have a contract they (and you) can do pretty much what ever they want in terms of the offer.

Advertisement