Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

changing SATA power to molex for GFX Card.Dell Inspiron

Options
  • 29-12-2008 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

Hi There,

Im adding a 9800 GT to a basic Dell Inspiron pc that has no molex power connection for the graphics card..

I want to cut off one of the SATA power connectors and put on a molex connection.

I have added a diagram of what the wiring is currently like. I would like to convert the SATA power to a molex. There seems to be a problem because there are more wires on the SATA than the molex..What wires do I need to use? also there are 2 molex connectors on the GPU side but some of the wire are going to different pins on the 6 pin square connector..Do I need to plug in just one of these molex connections or the two of them?

Is there anything I need to know when converting the SATA to molex?

Thanks..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

techguy wrote: »
    Hi There,

Im adding a 9800 GT to a basic Dell Inspiron pc that has no molex power connection for the graphics card..

I want to cut off one of the SATA power connectors and put on a molex connection.

I have added a diagram of what the wiring is currently like. I would like to convert the SATA power to a molex. There seems to be a problem because there are more wires on the SATA than the molex..What wires do I need to use? also there are 2 molex connectors on the GPU side but some of the wire are going to different pins on the 6 pin square connector..Do I need to plug in just one of these molex connections or the two of them?

Is there anything I need to know when converting the SATA to molex?

Thanks..

why not just get a Sata to molex adaptor?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

+1.

no shortage of them either.

http://shop.ebay.ie/?_from=R40&_trksid=m38&_nkw=molex+to+sata+power+adapter

pretty sure you could find one in the likes of peats or maplins if you didn't want to buy online too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I have seen them alright but I just need to get the job done asap as its not for my pc and I wont be around in a few days to wait fo shipping..

Im trying to get a sata to molex wiring diagram on google to no avail..im just getting adapters for sale.. :-(

Any ideas?

ok, there are 2 molex connectors coming from the GPU do I need to connect two of these to a power source..?

From what I am getting online the colour coldes are:
    Yellow:+12v
    Black: GND
    Brown:+3.3v

And it takes two of these so requires a total of 30.6volts..or is it just one of these connectors and only needs 15.3 volts?

Are these the only wires I need to connect and just match up the colours?

Thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

is it possible to see from some of the ebay pics?

will these help at all? molex pin1 is yellow and pin4 is red with 2 black com's in the middle.
    Conector.jpgSerial-ata-connector.GIF

• Advertisement

Thanks for that its great but it's only the tip of the iceberg..I was doing a bit of research but the PSU is the problem, it's only 300W and can't provide enough current..I got a new PSU this morning with all the connections..

Thanks for the advice..

Advertisement