Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are single 30+ women portrayed as 'desperate'?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

^ A lot of people watch it, are they all morons?

And aside from that - where do you or most people get their notions on how to dress? What jeans to buy? What colours to where? Usually from other people.. usually celebrities or magazines.

The hardest thing in the world is to be you. Do not underestimate our capacity for mimicry. I have said this in different contexts over and over again and Im saying it here.

I don't know about most people but I tend to wander around for a few hours shopping try things on see how they fit are they comfortable is it winter will I buy be warm will they last, I don't tend to read magazines or look at what celeb's are wearing to see what I'm going to wear this behavior would be moronic.

If someone spends an hour of their life watching people cleaning someone else's house not only would I assume they were a moron I would be very curious to see if they had some sort of mental health problem, I can just about put a few hours in cleaning my own home never mind watching someone else clean someone else's the idea sounds absolute alien to me

If my mother sat down and watched hours of television to learn how to deal with my childish tantrums I wouldn't hold the respect for her I do now.

I wouldn't like to think the majority of women go on like this.

Certainly the ones I come into contact don't.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

well any 30+ single person i know reeks so badly of desperation, you have to have al the windows open or else you would choke with the stench

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

ntlbelle- Then how do you explain Ugg boots?

I dont watch those shows either. I noticed they are all bbc. Maybe it's English women who do?

ntlbelle- Then how do you explain Ugg boots?

I dont watch those shows either. I noticed they are all bbc. Maybe it's English women who do?

How do i explain them?

What do I need to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

ntlbell wrote: »
    I can understand the influences for young folk but surley when you reach your mid 20's early 30's etc you're educated enough to find role models in places that go beyond sex and the city and other media tripe?

I thought it was one of the advantages of been "old" you see through most of the nonsense?

I didn't think you had to be an "alternative" type to work out for yourself what makes you happy and what you want to get out of life.

We're not dealing with emo teenagers here these are grown women/men.

That has to be one of the funniest things I have read in a while.
    Ah bless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

People who watch that sort of nonsense might do.
    Those type of morons are usually morons regardless of what's on TV

They watch it because they're morons, they're not morons from the results of watching it.

Oh I do 'watch' them every now and then will stick them on while reading or on the exercise bike, have to be the most funniest and ridiculous stuff on the tv. Nothing like thinking thank fúck I am not like that, don't think like that and really am missing nothing imho by not emersing myself in mainstream media.
    But not all men and women are at home watching that crap trying to learn how they should be living their lives.

Some do cos they may have had an education but they have not learned to think for themselves or to be brave enough to cull themselves from the herd
    cos that makes them a target and less likely to find a mate.

And while enough of them do they programs will get made and the advertisers will still pay for them so they can push products which tell people by this and it will help you have the life you think you should aspire to cos we are telling you so.

This site while it has become more mainstream over the last 2/3 years is still a far cry from the average irish person mindset and doesn't have that much influence on them yet.......

The day it does well chances are I won't be around any more.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,304 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

well any 30+ single person i know reeks so badly of desperation, you have to have al the windows open or else you would choke with the stench

We must have a little chat next time I see you. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

+1

I'm heading towards my mid thirties, single, no kids. I've gotten so used to being on my own that I think hooking up with someone at this stage would crack me up. If my biological clock is ticking, I sure as hell haven't heard the thing. If I did, I'd club it with something. I like having time to myself, being able to take off and do things when I want to do them. This year, I went on holidays by myself for the first time and it was the best holiday ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

People who watch that sort of nonsense might do.
    Those type of morons are usually morons regardless of what's on TV

They watch it because they're morons, they're not morons from the results of watching it.

But not all men and women are at home watching that crap trying to learn how they should be living their lives.

Well, ntlbell, you have just regarded, uhm, I'd say 70% of the female society as retarded.

BTW, TV should be viewed as entertainment, which it is. Some people are just more easily influenced than others. I wouldn't like you calling my sister, or indeed myself a moron, since I do enjoy a bit of Trinny and Susannah every now and again. And as far as I know, they would be advocating the total opposite to this thread title:confused:

Well, ntlbell, you have just regarded, uhm, I'd say 70% of the female society as retarded.

BTW, TV should be viewed as entertainment, which it is. Some people are just more easily influenced than others. I wouldn't like you calling my sister, or indeed myself a moron, since I do enjoy a bit of Trinny and Susannah every now and again. And as far as I know, they would be advocating the total opposite to this thread title:confused:

Not sure I agree, where do you get the 70% from? Have you done a survey?

Is it 70% of your friends? 70% of ireland? 70% of female's in the world? of which society does 70% watch television shows to learn how to clean their own home? to work out what clothes they should wear etc? where does this 70% come from?

TV should be viewed as entertainment it should not be used as a tool to try and define how you should live your life or to tell you where your life should be at any given place and time regardless of age or marital status.

I'll try and redefine my statement if you look to TV celeb's to try and work out your place in society you're a moron.

if you spend hours of your lifetime watching people cleaning other peoples houses you're a moron

if you live your life to fit in with a small minute part of society you're a moron.

if you get upset that someone has a strong opinion on the tv shows that you watch

you're very likley to be a moron.

hope that clears it up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭Curlypinkie

The 70% I got out of thin air. That's why I added the very averaging sign of "uhm".
    I'd say 100% of my friends and myself included, enjoy Trinny and Susannah or even Expose, for a laugh.
    I only subtracted the 30% to include the likes of you, who would disregard anyone as a moron who are not like you. (Sorry in advance if I'll upset you with this but you do come across as the former in your posts on this topic)
    Not sure what you're trying to prove here ntlbell and neither am I sure you're actually keeping to the topic even.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭St Bill

If 30+ single women are being portrayed as desperate in the media, well then I decide to not take it on board. It just doesn't gel with my particular outlook. If someone tells me I'm looking great, I'll take it on board, mull it over and then decide that, by jove and yes indeed, they're right :pac:.
    I don't see the media as a threat to women of my age. Media is part of the society we live in, it's individually our decision whether we take it on board or not. It's not '1984' just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Karen_* wrote: »
    Ho do women in their twenties who are great in bed get crap in bed when they hit their thirties Wibbs?:D

I thougt it was the opposite way around !!
    I am fair fair better now than i was in my 20's and fair more willing to try things out! Its different women every one is different no matter what age they are!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

Because people like to be dominated. They like being told what to do,how to dress, how to raise your kids,how to clean your house. That's why these trinny and suzannah shows and clean your house shows and nanny shows are so successful.

Hmmm, maybe, but also I think people watch these things because it makes them feel superior, as in, well I dress/clean my house/raise my children SO much better than they do...

Its nice to feel that however badly you might be faring in life, there truly is someone out there doing worse than you are. Ugly, but true I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

gcgirl wrote: »
    I thougt it was the opposite way around !!
    I am fair fair better now than i was in my 20's and fair more willing to try things out! Its different women every one is different no matter what age they are!

Yeah I dont get that statment either [Wibb's]. Sure your twenties are for experimentation but that doesn't make you better in bed. Sure in your 30s you can get a been there got the tee shirt and the sti to show it, but then you can change that again. Even within repetition there is infinite variety.

I also disagree that people in their 20s are in better shape. Yes the metabolism is faster, but by the late 20s the paunches are expanded, the man breasts are starting to swell, etc etc and it's in the 30s that people shape up, quite smoking, go to the gym and start working at it, because they have to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yea I kinda put it arseways:D Basically I was saying that I've known women in their 20's that were far better lovers than women in their 30's. I just don't believe that particular stereotype about 30+ women.

As for body shape, if you're a man or woman(and haven't had kids, or an illness say) and you're turning lardy and your arse looks like it's fainted in your mid to late 20's, that's just crazy. If you've struggled with weight all your life, then I can very much understand there comes a time when you may want to give two hoots, but those who were trim? As for people over 30 hitting the gym and having better bods than in their 20's? I can honestly say I can think of only one woman and one man who did that. I've certainly heard of others and I'm quite sure they're out there, but they're sadly in the minority IMHO.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I know some 40+ women who although aware of advancing age , dont really have the hang up in the way some 30 + women seem to such as OP mentioned .50s the new 40 and 40s the new 30 .As long as the 30 + womon is loking after herself who cares about the desperate tag portrayal .Maybe some 20 somethings worry that if the havent got the steady boyfriend leading onto marrage sceanrio by mid 30s they are gonna be left on the shelf .Bit of an out dated image imo .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

latchyco wrote: »
    Bit of an out dated image imo .

Well, I think it's as much a biological thing as it is a societal pressure sort of thing...

The irony or the matter is the unattractiveness of desperate women - they'd be way more successful if they just chilled a bit.

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Well, I think it's as much a biological thing as it is a societal pressure sort of thing...

The irony or the matter is the unattractiveness of desperate women - they'd be way more successful if they just chilled a bit.
    Yeah , I see what you mean and nothing worse or more off putting . All women need to feel attrctive and wanted ,even the not so goodlooking ones although any insercuritys on her part can be manifested when it doesnt really have to be .

Interesting read, this thread.
    My two cents worth...
    I absolutely agree that women (and men) in their 30s start to take their health and fitness more seriously.

I know from my own experience and that of a large pool of friends, colleagues, family etc, we all caned it in our 20s. Smoking our heads off, boozing, arsing about. Because we could, we'd no responsibility, we were invincible.

As the years went by the smokers have quit, the gym is the new pub and most of us cut back drastically on the booze.

I can say, hand on heart, my 30-something female friends look better and have a happier outlook and more positivity in their lives than my 20-something friends.
    The younger women are in knots trying to decide if they should travel, buy a house, find a bloke or go back to college.
    The 30-somethings have been there, done that and learned not to care what other people think of their choices.

You only need read the PI forum any day to see the paranoid, unsure, neurotic posts from guys and women in their 20s.

Maybe I'm just surrounded by very confident, happy women but I don't think my circle of 30-something friends is exceptional by any stretch of the imagination.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

AARRRGH wrote: »
    Agreed. That's what I object to when it comes to women over 30 - they way they bow down to such pressure.

I can say, hand on heart, my 30-something female friends look better and have a happier outlook and more positivity in their lives than my 20-something friends.
    The younger women are in knots trying to decide if they should travel, buy a house, find a bloke or go back to college.
    The 30-somethings have been there, done that and learned not to care what other people think of their choices.

You only need read the PI forum any day to see the paranoid, unsure, neurotic posts from guys and women in their 20s.

Maybe I'm just surrounded by very confident, happy women but I don't think my circle of 30-something friends is exceptional by any stretch of the imagination.
    BINGO , my sentiments to .

Interesting read, this thread.
    My two cents worth...
    I absolutely agree that women (and men) in their 30s start to take their health and fitness more seriously.

I know from my own experience and that of a large pool of friends, colleagues, family etc, we all caned it in our 20s. Smoking our heads off, boozing, arsing about. Because we could, we'd no responsibility, we were invincible.

As the years went by the smokers have quit, the gym is the new pub and most of us cut back drastically on the booze.

When you get to your 30's a lot of people have come across something by then where they realise they're not immortal anymore and the sudden increase in taken care of themselves is out of fear for their own health not necessarily something to do to find a man/woman the same goes for married men/women in their 30's it's sometimes been faced with something that puts your mortality in your face rather than looking good to find a partner.

When you get to your 30's a lot of people have come across something by then where they realise they're not immortal anymore and the sudden increase in taken care of themselves is out of fear for their own health not necessarily something to do to find a man/woman the same goes for married men/women in their 30's it's sometimes been faced with something that puts your mortality in your face rather than looking good to find a partner.

Yep, that's it. You realise you have a choice, you can continue as you were and age faster or you can start to take care of yourself. And that's called maturity.

Anyone who thinks the majority of 20-something women are slim and the majority of 30-something women are not is deluded.
    You only need look around any venue aimed at the younger generation to see how our 20-somethings are faring when it comes to weight issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Anyone who thinks the majority of 20-something women are slim and the majority of 30-something women are not is deluded.
    You only need look around any venue aimed at the younger generation to see how our 20-somethings are faring when it comes to weight issues.
    I have to agree with that.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm afraid us human beings are just animals when it boils down to it. And animal instinct is a very difficult thing to go against. Its a survival tactic.

So single women in their thirties are perceived to be desperate because it is assumed they want to have children. In the majority of cases, that assumption is correct.

It really sucks.

fits wrote: »
    So single women in their thirties are perceived to be desperate because it is assumed they want to have children. In the majority of cases, that assumption is correct.

It really sucks.
    But the ones who dont will be quite at home knowing or thinking ( whatever the case may be ) that they made the right decision .

But the ones who dont will be quite at home knowing or thinking ( whatever the case may be ) that they made the right decision .

to what?

be single for life?

not have kids?

i didn't think this was about kids

I'm inclined to agree.. and yet...

• Advertisement

i didn't think this was about kids

:D Of course its about children. Even if few realise or admit it.

Advertisement