Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

North Irland

Options
  • 29-12-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Can i ask someone a few questions about the conflict in north irland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Post your questions here and people can answer. You're better off getting a few different viewpoints on it rather than just one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 DutchStudent

Stargal wrote: »
    Post your questions here and people can answer. You're better off getting a few different viewpoints on it rather than just one.

yess you re right

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I think the questions are what has been posted in other forums here

biko wrote: »
    I think the questions are what has been posted in other forums here

no we decide to ask some other questions, would like you answer our questions

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Sure, what is the question?

I suppose it's to do somewhat with the IRA? If so this is a good history link. History of the INLA.

• Advertisement

Well my friend isn't online anymore so I will post a couple of questions. we are Dutch student and we are meaking a report about North Irland and the 'troubles'. So please answer our questions because we need it very much!
    If some of you want to answer it private whit an email. I apologise for the fact our english isn't good. Thanks in advance

to begin we need some information about you:
    Name:

the questions:
    1. What do you think about the 'troubles' (rubbish, i understand it...)
    2. Is there al lot of in attention about the 'troubles 'at school or work?
    yes, wat kind of attention
    3. Do you see/hear a lot about the 'troubles'? yes, where
    4. Has someone in your nearest famili, friends become victim of the
    'troubles'
    5. If you could speake the prime minister what would you say to him
    about the conditions of North Irland
    6. Do you think the EU and the rest of the world has ignored the problem
    for a long time? yes why?
    7. do you recognise the distinction between the Protetants and the
    cotholics? yes how
    8. what kind of solutions do you think would solve the troubles?
    Because the violence of 'troubles' is finished both the society does have several ideees about
    each other
    9. What do you thinkNorth Irland would be in the future

biko wrote: »
    Sure, what is the question?

I suppose it's to do somewhat with the IRA? If so this is a good history link. History of the INLA.

yess thank you for the link, the questions from the other forum where not good so we thought some other questions.

well here are the statements/opinions and you have to see if you agree with it or not

1. the European Union has enough interfered whit North Irland
    2. there should be no Catholic or Protestant parties, but simply a political
    party for every one
    3. North Irland should be an independente state
    4. Catholic or Protestantpopulation live along whiteach other but not
    together
    5. the European Union has to help North Irland more than they do now

thanks in advance

i know a lot ow people are free (here in the Netherlands we are) and they want to relax but please answer our questions :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

Well my friend isn't online anymore so I will post a couple of questions. we are Dutch student and we are meaking a report about North Irland and the 'troubles'. So please answer our questions because we need it very much!
    If some of you want to answer it private whit an email. I apologise for the fact our english isn't good. Thanks in advance

Name:

the questions:
    'troubles'
    cotholics? yes how
    Because the violence of 'troubles' is finished both the society does have several ideees about
    each other
    Well, to answer some of your questions -

1. What do you think about the 'troubles' (rubbish, i understand it...) I am from the south but lived within a few kilometers of the north. For 25 years it was headline news on the TV, radio etc

Despite people saying that Ireland is at the end of histroy since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement (GFA) which is essentially a power sharing arrangemenet, the subject of the North still provokes the hottest of debates among people.

Though I lived very near the north, and some villages and towns even on the southern side of the border were bombed, about the only time I actually was near the scene of violence was once in Belfast when the IRA hijacked a van and blew up the front of the courthouse in central Belfast. Also was in Belfast when I heard some shots fired by the INLA near the Divis flats. No fatalites in both incidents.

'troubles'
    2 cousins of mine were in prison during the troubles ( my grandfather and granduncle were also both in prison in 1919 - 1922 for IRA membership ). One of my cousins was very badly beaten up by the brits when arrested during internment as he was a memeber of the civil rights movement, was held down on the ground and rifle butts were used to smash bones in both hands. He later sued the brit army on court and won a substanial amount for mistreatment from them.

5. If you could speake the prime minister what would you say to him about the conditions of North Irland BRITS OUT

6. Do you think the EU and the rest of the world has ignored the problem for a long time? yes why? I rememeber during the late 70's I think it was a motion from a left wing alliance of mainly Danish and Netherlands MEP's put foward a motion in Brussels susjesting greater EU invovlement. The brits ofcourse didn't like it and said the North was british terrority and how dare they etc ,etc. The Irish govt. as usual played the role of subservant puppet republic and said it wouldn't help Anglo Irish relations as this particuliar time, blah, blah, etc, etc, Same also happened in the late 1950's in the UN.

7. do you recognise the distinction between the Protetants and the cotholics? yes how Well I don't like to use the term Catholic and Protestant myself as it helps to support the british lies that the conflict is a religious one and not a conflict between 2 nationalites, the Irish nationalists who want a United Ireland, and the british unionists who want to remain loyal to britain.

8. what kind of solutions do you think would solve the troubles? Because the violence of 'troubles' is finished both the society does have several ideees about each other In the end it's going to result in a United Ireland, their's no doubt about that. Don't have the exact figures to hand, but at partition in 1922 it was the ratio could have been as high as 3 unionists to 1 nationalist. At the last election it was something like 54% unionist to 46% Nationalist. Also in the south of Ireland, despite the puppet govt and british dominated media who have attempted to criminalise Irish nationalism over the last decades, national unity still remains the wishes of the vast majority of the people (80%) as can be seen from this poll for example http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/2006/04/02/story13158.asp
    Also as part of the Good Friday Agreement, all Ireland development of infrastucture such as roads, railways, telecommunications etc with the Irish govt providing much of the money.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Name:

the questions:
    'troubles'
    cotholics? yes how
    each other

1. I can understand the viewpoint of both sides. I think the political issues will still be there for generations to come. Hopefully the violence is gone for good.

2. At home (within 20 miles of the border) we were much more concious of the issues than what I have heard from people in Dublin for instance who generally were of the view that the people of the North were Nuts and should be cast into the atlantic on their own.

3. When I was at College in Belfast in 94 the ceasefire had been implemented but there were still obviously a lot of tension. In my home town there were a number of murders mostly relating to republican infighting.

4. No.

5. I think the more recent British and Irish governments have done their best to secure peace as best they can.

6. The EU did not appear to have any interest in resiolving the issue. To be fair the dutch should have sorted it out because it was William of Orange who really made a mess of things (JOKE). The Americans have certainly done their bit.

7. Yes we have different religions and different historical viewpoints. That is the difference. There are far more similarities. We both like to drink, play football and poke fun at the English.

8. Amnesia would solve the troubles once and for all.

9. Hopefully Northern Ireland will be a stable peaceful place whether it be part of the Republic or Britain.

I am 35 years old and male.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 magic&illusion

Thank you very much for posting your opinion.
    Your helping us a lot.
    Everyone who sees this topic please poste youre opinion

McArmalite wrote: »

1. What do you think about the 'troubles' (rubbish, i understand it...) I am from the south but lived within a few kilometers of the north. For 25 years it was headline news on the TV, radio etc

Despite people saying that Ireland is at the end of histroy since the signing of the Good Friday Agreement (GFA) which is essentially a power sharing arrangemenet, the subject of the North still provokes the hottest of debates among people.

Though I lived very near the north, and some villages and towns even on the southern side of the border were bombed, about the only time I actually was near the scene of violence was once in Belfast when the IRA hijacked a van and blew up the front of the courthouse in central Belfast. Also was in Belfast when I heard some shots fired by the INLA near the Divis flats. No fatalites in both incidents.

'troubles'
    2 cousins of mine were in prison during the troubles ( my grandfather and uncle were also both in prison in 1919 - 1922 for IRA membership ). One of my cousins was very badly beaten up by the brits when arrested during internment as he was a memeber of the civil rights movement, was held down on the ground and rifle butts were used to smash bones in both hands. He later sued the brit army on court and won a substanial amount for mistreatment from them.

5. If you could speake the prime minister what would you say to him about the conditions of North Irland BRITS OUT

Got to go. Will get back to answer the other questions.

I am very curious about the rest of your answers.
    Thanks again for your help

Irjudge1 wrote: »
    1. I can understand the viewpoint of both sides. I think the political issues will still be there for generations to come. Hopefully the violence is gone for good.

2. At home (within 20 miles of the border) we were much more concious of the issues than what I have heard from people in Dublin for instance who generally were of the view that the people of the North were Nuts and should be cast into the atlantic on their own.

3. When I was at College in Belfast in 94 the ceasefire had been implemented but there were still obviously a lot of tension. In my home town there were a number of murders mostly relating to republican infighting.

4. No.

5. I think the more recent British and Irish governments have done their best to secure peace as best they can.

6. The EU did not appear to have any interest in resiolving the issue. To be fair the dutch should have sorted it out because it was William of Orange who really made a mess of things (JOKE). The Americans have certainly done their bit.

7. Yes we have different religions and different historical viewpoints. That is the difference. There are far more similarities. We both like to drink, play football and poke fun at the English.

8. Amnesia would solve the troubles once and for all.

9. Hopefully Northern Ireland will be a stable peaceful place whether it be part of the Republic or Britain.

I am 35 years old and male.

Thank you very much for your help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Hookey

1. Lived in London for 15 years and the attitude of Dubliners and Londoners was remarkably similar; "they're all nutters and a plague on both their houses".

2. Yes, at various times. Usually security alerts in London, and occasional transport disruption.

3. As above, sort of background noise about Belfast in the media, and then headline news when something big happened in the UK.

4. Had an (English) uni friend slightly injured in the Manchester bombing. Heard the BBC bomb when it went off (lived about 1/2 KM away).

5. Nothing. Belfast seems OK to me, and the north is making loads of money off the south right now.

6. EU has, but the US didn't. Why would the EU get involved anyway?

7. They each have their own traditions, but I'm not a fan of living in the past and have no time for sectarian differences, especially when it comes to religion.

8. Economics. People tend not to fight when they have something to lose.

9. Depends on point 8. If NI can develop economically, then it will be probably be peaceful. I used to think demographics would eventually deliver a catholic majority who would vote for reunification, but I'm no longer sure. It may happen in the long run, but probably because of the breakup of the UK rather than any pro-Republic sentiment. If Scotland breaks away from the UK, the English will dump Wales and NI as well, and most English would be happy to see them go.

Hookey wrote: »
    1. Lived in London for 15 years and the attitude of Dubliners and Londoners was remarkably similar; "they're all nutters and a plague on both their houses".

2. Yes, at various times. Usually security alerts in London, and occasional transport disruption.

3. As above, sort of background noise about Belfast in the media, and then headline news when something big happened in the UK.

4. Had an (English) uni friend slightly injured in the Manchester bombing. Heard the BBC bomb when it went off (lived about 1/2 KM away).

5. Nothing. Belfast seems OK to me, and the north is making loads of money off the south right now.

7. They each have their own traditions, but I'm not a fan of living in the past and have no time for sectarian differences, especially when it comes to religion.

9. Depends on point 8. If NI can develop economically, then it will be probably be peaceful. I used to think demographics would eventually deliver a catholic majority who would vote for reunification, but I'm no longer sure. It may happen in the long run, but probably because of the breakup of the UK rather than any pro-Republic sentiment. If Scotland breaks away from the UK, the English will dump Wales and NI as well, and most English would be happy to see them go.

thank you for answering but what is your age& gender:

McArmalite wrote: »

what is your Age& Gender:

thank you for answering but what is your age& gender:

Male, age 38

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Name: Des

the questions:

- The root of the troubles was the creation of the unionist state by the British in 1922 manufactured with a false majority as the only way they could hold onto a part of Ireland. From it's first day it was run like the Ku Klux Klan ran the southern states of America with gross discrimination in employment, housing, police murder and brutality etc been the methods of intimadation. Copying the black civil rights movement in America, they marched for civil rights in 1969 and in return were attacked and murdered by the unionist police and unionist mobs. Hence giving rise to the envitable backlash from the nationalists. Here is a good site with good news ocverage of it as it happened http://www.rte.ie/laweb/ll/ll_t11d.html See Derry Civil Rights Demonstration sand click on the Look and Listen button

- Nowadays it's not in the news that much but the vast majority of people still see it as an injustice and would like to see an end to british rule in our country.

- Well I live in Dublin and am down the north maybe 2 or 3 times a year, so no, I ddin't see much violence ( Coming from my area of Dublin, Cabra, you don't have to go anywhere else to violence !!!! )

'troubles'

- Yes, I have met quite a few people down the years who have been a victim of the troubles, mostly friends of my father and people at public meetings etc

- Not really sure. I would just like to see a united Ireland, much as a Dutch man would not like to see part of Holland occupied by the Germans.

- Well, people of Irish extraction in America did quite a lot. They put pressure on Senators, Congressmen to be quite critical of British murder and abuses. A campaign called the McBride principles which demanded companies operating in Northern Ireland to not discriminate against employees on the basis of religion if they hoped for investment from US city and state pension funds. This forced the british to adapt strong laws to end discrimination in employment.

cotholics? yes how

Well, their was some very stupid laws in the Republic regarding divource, contraception etc which were practically written by the Catholic Church. Thankfully they are gone now.

Because the violence of 'troubles' is finished both the society does have several ideees about each other

In the long run it is going to end in a united Ireland, their is no doubt about that.

Same as above

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭DublinDes

Hookey wrote: »

" the attitude of Dubliners and Londoners was remarkably similar. " Just because you kissed the brits butt when you scratched out a living over there, don't pretend the vast majority of Dubs think like you.

I suppose you regard the burning down of the British embassy after Bloody Sunday as a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ???

Or the attempted burning down of the replacement embassy in Ballsbridge during the 1981 hunger strike as a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ???

Or the so called Love Ulster unionist march which was destroyed by REAL Dubs like myself as a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Dublin_riots

Yuor lovely average Brit blames it all on the Irish, ( it's never their fault whether it's Ireland, the Middle East, Asia etc when they nurtrued the conflicts). Protestants, Catholics, north or south your all the bloody same while our poor boys are in the middle just trying to keep the peace, the great British sense of fairplay etc, etc, etc.

Do me a favour, bring your wee union jack onto Hill 16 sometime and we'll see how much there is a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Centauro

Name:

the questions:

I grew up with the troubles, It's a manifestation of tribalisim. A particularly odious human trait.

Most of my life there was nothing BUT the troubles. It cast a shadow over all aspects of life in Northern Ireland.

3. Do you see/hear a lot about the 'troubles'? yes, where. Yes.

See previous answer. I grew up in Belfast, and now live nearby. Tribal markers are still in place, people here work together by necessity, but by and large still choose to live in "tribal" enclaves.

'troubles'

Yes. I was injured myself, also close family members injured, and I witnessed many atrocities comitted by both Loyalist and Republican murder gangs.

about the conditions of North Irland.

We are heading in the right direction.

No. It's no business of the rest of the world.

cotholics? yes how.

I'm a protestant, my wife's a Catholic. We are no different.

Ecenomic investment, integrated education. Bulldoze the sectarian ghettoes and provide people with decent homes with no regard for sectarian demographics.

British, although the drift towoards a more liberal society in the republic is a good thing. Continued movement in that direction could eventually make the prospect of a united Ireland acceptable or even preferable to northern unionists/protestants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

With all due respect 'Magicillusion' you will not get any real answers here (just biased opinions), because there are two truths out there > one Protestant-British truth & one Catholic-Nationalist truth ...........

Already you can see two sides forming on the Thread.

Good luck Magicillusion, but remember to find out "The Facts" regarding the Troubles & dont rely on opinions.

Camelot wrote: »
    With all due respect 'Magicillusion' you will not get any real answers here (just biased opinions), because there are two truths out there > one Protestant-British truth & one Catholic-Nationalist truth ...........

Already you can see two sides forming on the Thread.

Good luck Magicillusion, but remember to find out "The Facts" regarding the Troubles & dont rely on opinions.

we're not asking questions for facts only peoples opinion about it
    and the res off our report is based on facts
    what i do whant to ask just because i'm curiouis about it

is it true that the protestants army every day/week/moth paraded around the catholic district

and that an employer can not only hire Protestant people but also catholics and that this must be well divided

DublinDes wrote: »
    " the attitude of Dubliners and Londoners was remarkably similar. " Just because you kissed the brits butt when you scratched out a living over there, don't pretend the vast majority of Dubs think like you.

I scratched out quite a nice living thank you, and funnily enough didn't have to kiss any arse. They've taken down the "no blacks or Irish" signs these days.
    I suppose you regard the burning down of the British embassy after Bloody Sunday as a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ???

Since I was 3 at the time I'd say 70s attitudes on both sides of the Irish Sea were very similar, but I didn't really have an opinion, being like, 3 and everything. I'm talking about the last ten years.
    Or the attempted burning down of the replacement embassy in Ballsbridge during the 1981 hunger strike as a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ???

Once again, in the eighties everyone hated everyone else. What's your point?
    Or the so called Love Ulster unionist march which was destroyed by REAL Dubs like myself as a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ??? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_Dublin_riots

So basically you're proud to be a knacker? Lovely.
    Yuor lovely average Brit blames it all on the Irish, ( it's never their fault whether it's Ireland, the Middle East, Asia etc when they nurtrued the conflicts). Protestants, Catholics, north or south your all the bloody same while our poor boys are in the middle just trying to keep the peace, the great British sense of fairplay etc, etc, etc.

Funnily enough I was reading an English book about the English legal system just yesterday, which went on, at great length, about the abuses heaped on the Irish by the English for centuries and the great injustices done in the name of Empire and the Act of Union. It was written in 1911. Take your head from out of your arse for five minutes and actually read what real Brits actually think (rather than the Daily Mail), about lots of things; Iraq, Northern Ireland, their relationship with the US, and you might notice they're a damn sight more self-critical than you seem to be. You may continue to live in 1916, but a lot more of us have moved on, and instead of the exact same "my country right or wrong" jingoistic flag-waving that people like you are so quick to criticise the Brits for, we tend to take a more balanced view.
    Do me a favour, bring your wee union jack onto Hill 16 sometime and we'll see how much there is a remarkably similar attitude of Dubliners and Londoners ;)

And I'm sure if you took a tricolor to Lords you'd find common ground in your shared xenophobia. Oh, actually you probably wouldn't.

thanks for answering everybody

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

is it true that the protestants army every day/week/moth paraded around the catholic district

and that an employer can not only hire Protestant people but also catholics and that this must be well divided

Sounds like your opinions have already been tainted formed :cool:

This is what I was trying to warn you about.

Camelot wrote: »
    Sounds like your opinions have already been tainted formed :cool:

This is what I was trying to warn you about.

no its just that a teatcher had tolld that to me so i wanted to ask you guys if it was true. I really dont have chosen a side because i dont live there and i dont know how its there in Noord-Irland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That may be a langauge issue - parade no, patrol yes. And it was not a Protestant Army it was the British army which is not run on religious lines.

Since the Good Friday Agreement came into effect, public bodies such as the police force, civil service etc have to "balance" the proportion of Catholics and Protestants within the workforce to reflect the wider population. This is part of the "Equality Agenda" that also covers areas like sex, race, disability, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

no its just that a teatcher had tolld that to me so i wanted to ask you guys if it was true. I really dont have chosen a side because i dont live there and i dont know how its there in Noord-Irland
    to find out how and why you will need to look on the education and the religious system of the schools; in the republic most of the teaching in schools is done by the catholic church this teaches a anti /british view[before every one starts shouting i went to school in the republic-]even to the stage that football is not aloud because its looked on as british; in the north all republicians are looked on as a enemy[untill recently the republic still laid claim to the north] the answer ?change the education systems and wait another 20 years----i am male and i am 68 years old

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    That may be a langauge issue - parade no, patrol yes. And it was not a Protestant Army it was the British army which is not run on religious lines.

Since the Good Friday Agreement came into effect, public bodies such as the police force, civil service etc have to "balance" the proportion of Catholics and Protestants within the workforce to reflect the wider population. This is part of the "Equality Agenda" that also covers areas like sex, race, disability, etc.

could you answer these questions
    'troubles'
    cotholics? yes how
    each other
    9. What do you think North Irland would be in the future

Advertisement