Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone and foreign networks

• 29-12-2008 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Wandered up to the North over the last couple of days, and the iPhone had great difficulty finding and hanging on to networks. Is this a known fault?

It's an O2 phone, but it mostly couldn't get service with O2 UK; sometimes it worked on Orange. I'm wondering about my bill now.

What's the story - have others found the same problem, and is there a fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Did you compare it with other iPhones? I've seen people complaining about the iPhones reception, but other iPhones seem ok. Thus they return the iPhone and the replacement is usually much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

There weren't any other iPhones around for comparison; that's why I'm asking here, in the hope that people may be able to enlighten me with their experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

When I went up there I got O2 UK, Orange and then T-Mobile. It wasn't only the iPhone, my brothers SE was doing the same.

Creggy, how do you mean you got those?

I was offered the same choices, but when I selected O2 UK, the service usually dropped within a few seconds. I then chose Orange and it hung on longer, but also kept dropping. Set it to 'automatic', and again it kept dropping the carrier and looking for it again.

Is this the normal standard of service in Northern Ireland, or is it just with phones from outside their jurisdiction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

luckat wrote: »
    There weren't any other iPhones around for comparison; that's why I'm asking here, in the hope that people may be able to enlighten me with their experience.

Have you compared your phone with others even in the south.

• Advertisement

Not with other iPhones - don't know anyone else in Ireland who uses one. The network coverage in the Republic seems fine so far, though I haven't tried it in the wilder reaches.

Incidentally, I was in a remote area on the west coast recently, and the iPhone (on O2) got coverage where other phones don't.

I'm told that I can buy 50GB of foreign data roaming in advance, and this is apparently a good idea, and cheaper than paying foreign rates. Has anyone done this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Irelandshope

I use an O2 iphone in the North and always get great reception but I travelled to Dublin recently and couldnt get a signal. I called O2 and they told me that because it was a 3G iphone I should have turned off 3G when I crossed the border. I was still in the south at the time so I turned off 3G in network setting and sure enough got a strong signal. I'm not sure if thats the problem you are having but it worked for me.

Advertisement