Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

poached turkey ?

• 29-12-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone else poach their turkey al a Richard Corrigan?

Boned, rolled and stuffed the legs (as my dad has done for years), took the back off and poached the crown in stock. Browned it in a pan after so it didn't look boiled.

Best turkey I've ever cooked - really moist but not under done.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

I was not brave enough to try it this year. I saw him do it on the tv and it looked so simple. Will give it a go on new years day. So it was nice i take it? it did look devine ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah, - go for it. Well worth it.

But don't believe Corrigan when he said to poach it for 55 mins.

I did mine for 1 1/2 hours (it was a big bird though) - that's what it says on the RTE website too - contradicting Corrigan on the show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I got a turkey fry kit in the states a few years back, and TBH I will never cook turkey any other way.
    3.5 minutes per pound and the turkey is the moistest you will have along with beautiful crispy skin.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I got a turkey fry kit in the states a few years back, and TBH I will never cook turkey any other way.
    3.5 minutes per pound and the turkey is the moistest you will have along with beautiful crispy skin.

Do tell more!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Beerlao

i'm thinking it's a giant fryer that can fit a whole turkey... mmm... greasilicious

• Advertisement

Turkey frying originated in the Southern US and I had never heard of it until I was talking to a Canadian who told me about it, and said that it was the best way to cook turkey.
    SO I happened to be in Nth Carolina back in 04 and got a kit from Walmart $50
    It comprised of a Large stockpot made of aluminium, a big burner and some other bits and pieces that can be used for boiling seafood etc.
    The pot is about 60cm tall and 40cm in diameter.
    I use commercial frying oil for it, and just heat the oil to 350deg F and slowly lower the turkey in to the oil.
    I have cooked up to a 25 lb bird in it but this year I did a 22lb'r as that was the smallest my supplier had.
    There are various different recipes for marinades and rubs that you can inject into the bird to make it different flavours but I have found that the bird is fine just as it is.
    The trick is that once the skin is sealed by frying the bird is actually pressure steamed by virtue of the pressure of the oil keeping all the moisture inside the bird.
    The skin is fantastically crispy and the bird is not greasy at all.
    I have some pics and will try and stick them up later.

sounds delicious if not potentially inferno inducing!

I guess that is a danger that is inherent but I have never found it to be a real problem, You have to fry it outside! I think that nerdchef Blumenthal did a show about roast chicken a while back and used a turkey frier to cremate a chicken for the camera but in reality the temperature gauge shows where the oil is temp wise and you take it from there.

ah, an outdoor activity - that makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Look up fried turkey Alton Brown on You Tube and you'll find a hilarious series of videos instructing you how to deep fry a turkey. I'd insert the youtube link if I knew how!

• Advertisement

mags16 wrote: »
    Look up fried turkey Alton Brown on You Tube and you'll find a hilarious series of videos instructing you how to deep fry a turkey. I'd insert the youtube link if I knew how!

Here it is.

Advertisement