Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Hire

Options
  • 29-12-2008 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Need to hire a car for 5 days in the UK in march for 2 adults and 2 children from Bristol Airport. Any ideas? Best price? Including child boaster seats?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Google tells me there are only 4 companies at the airport
    On each one choose same type car and see what the price difference is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I was having problems with Avis this morning because I wrecked my online booking on Christmas day. I called Avis in Cork today and the guy helped me out with a better rate than any website going.

He put me on rate code PR for preffered customer and tell them your AWD is P789100.

Call them on 021 - 4281111

Avis are in Bristol Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

One thing to look out for when hiring cars from smaller airports, is the 'local service charge' or something similar. Sometimes they don't hold a stock of cars at the airport and have to bring them up the airport from a city centre location and charge you a fortune for that, especially if it's out of normal hours and someone has to hang around waiting for your flight to come in. I've been stung at Bournemouth airport a few times in that way.

FWIW the most transparent company I've dealt with in terms of actually paying exactly what you get quoted without all kinds of hidden extras is Avis, but maybe I was just lucky. Wouldn't touch Hertz with a bargepole.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I like Avis because you book it without paying a penny/cent(for the pedantic pats). You only have to pay when you arrive.

I have a Holden Commodore booked in Perth for 9 days for €204 including all taxes and standard insurance. Their own website is showing €475 for the exact same thing.

There is a lot to be said through human contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Berty wrote: »
    I was having problems with Avis this morning because I wrecked my online booking on Christmas day. I called Avis in Cork today and the guy helped me out with a better rate than any website going.

He put me on rate code PR for preffered customer and tell them your AWD is P789100.

Call them on 021 - 4281111

Avis are in Bristol Airport

FYI, that AWD will probably expire in a month or so.

I always use AVIS - I find them great - no messing and no bullsh1t. The customer service here in Ireland is absolutely excellent (in my experience). I was in France recently, my flight was delayed and the rental station was closed at the destination airportwhen I got there. I rang Cork - the main J&P number (021 428 1100) and was put through to a very helpful lady who told me she would contact the mobile number she had for the station manager at the airport I was at. 10 mins later I had my car.

But - when checking the price try www.avis.ie and see what it quotes you. Then try www.avis.co.uk, www.avis.com, www.avis.fr, etc, etc - prices can vary so shop the various regional sites - you might save a few bob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭craigmcc

Thank you for the advice! Just booked with Avis Ireland for €184 for 5 days which I'm happy with.

Craig

Advertisement