Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Looking to buy small automatic (secondhand)

Options
  • 29-12-2008 6:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

what small auto would you buy? (2006 - 2007) up to 1.4
    Gonna buy one soon so need your experience and advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif

Not popular....deal to be done on this
    no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif

no-image-large.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

If your throwing the Prius in there, which AFAIK is 1.5, the Civic Hybrid would be one to consider as well. Uses a different system to the Prius, which some people argue to be better.

Is there any reason why your staying below 1.4?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Small automatics are saleproof.

There's also the matter that manual gearboxes make much more efficient use of the power available when you're dealing with very low power engines, which means that the automatic will be very, very slow compared to a manual version of the same car.

Any particular reason why it has to be below a 1.4?

You really need a larger engine for an automatic to work because a small engined automatic is going to be very slow, and as a consequence will not be good on mpg by any stretch of the imagination.

If you're worried about cost, get a manual, if you just want an automatic get a decent sized engine(1.6 minimum).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

my dad bought an 07 Kia Picanto for 5k a few weeks back for my mum.
    OK its no ball of fire and it is fairly heavy on juice but its basically ok for what it is ( biscuit tin on wheels ).

My wife had a fiesta 1.4 auto ( durashift ) - it is a far superior car to the kia in every way - but its alot more expensive than the Kia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Sid71

Thanks for your replies.
    I should have added a budget of €11-12 K
    Not looking for a racer! I am way past that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

E92 wrote: »
    Small automatics are saleproof.

I don't agree at all. Small automatics are very saleable, but not to the typical Motors Board poster !

Very popular with older drivers, who need their independence but are starting to burn out clutches ! I bought a 06 Atoz automatic in May for the mother-in-law after she burned out the clutch in her Punto for the second time in 18 months (she reckoned the guy hadn't fitted the first cluth correctly !). Still had one years mfr's warranty left on it !

To OP, if you just want a runabout then try the Picanto per RobAMerc's suggestion or an Atoz. Both should be freely available in January ex car hire fleets, around the 5k mark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

Advertisement