Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Prince of Persia; why all the hatin?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Great game but whoever thinks that the interaction between the two characters is anything other than painful needs to have their heads checked.

I have to press LT all the time, if I don't it'll just bug me (mini-OCD?), but jesus I wish there was a way to turn off that notification. I regret pressing it everytime. I hate the cut-scenes and wish a painful death on the stupid damn prince.

Other than the dialogue (oh and that really annoying bit when you have to rotate the water ponds) the game is superb. Easy, but really fun.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

the only bit of dialogue I liked was the whole "wanna play a word game?" bit... I admit I laughed at that but that was it. In SoT it was all excellent dialogue... but as I said, I'm hopeful for the future and I did like this game!

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Damn you all to hell, you've piqued my interest now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Whatever about the combat (the more I play, the more I realise some of the boss fights - in particular the
    final few Concubine ones
    - are severely borked and frustrating as soon as they change form) there is a wonderful sense of gratification to be had when you do your spinning sword trick into the rising pile of corruption before the enemy manages to spawn.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You know the story with the fighting right?

Normal: hit them with everything
    Blue: hit them with your sword
    Red: Grapple them (hard!)
    Black: Use Elika

When they do an animated move, you need to counter with the correct button, it will always be the same button for the same animation. Learn them and you will slaughter them.

Finally, when you get an attack run in with the sword, use grapple and then elika and then sword again and you can chain the attacks with Elika and Sword, you can have them bouncing around the air like a rag doll, its very enjoyable and does big damage :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Does the 360 achievements have that combo master achievement, its breaking my bloody heart at the moment, the 14 hit combo hit was easy enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,692 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

DeVore wrote: »
    You know the story with the fighting right?...

DeV.

Yeah have gotten the hang of it for the most part, just don't like the way its implemented sometimes :(. For example, the QTEs that require split-second reactions or failure is really cheap design - admittedly I have a bit of a thing against QTEs (I'm all for immersion rather than lightly-interacting cutscenes!) but the later fights pile them on a little.

Now, I really like the combat when you string together a good combo - hit, hit, Elika, Elika, followed by a couple of grapple / aerial tricks - has a real sense of power behind it, especially when you knock an enemy of the edge of the level. But then you have the close the Concubine changing form, and the awkward timing and movement necessary to grapple her.

I think it is the only part of the game - aside from graphics and animation, of course - that improves upon SoT, but still think it could have been implemented a little better. Half the time I love it - when you successfully get in your combo it is a very fluid system alright - but think it can be a bit overly awkward and contrived at times!

That said, for the most part I am still really enjoying the game as I get closer to the end (have fully finished two of the four areas and have finished half of the other two) and while it is easy, it is a pretty relaxing experience. I know it has its critics, but the elimination of death as such is a massive leap forward. It effectively acts as an instant restart, and while it is contrived, it is probably less so than a screen saying 'game over' or a lives system. I know a lot of people bemoan the growing casual nature of gaming - hell, I do sometimes - but little touches like this are pretty important to improving the way we play games, and I definitely applaud the makers for taking this pretty risky step here. I agree with you her Dev, I will really look forward to any sequel - they have the movement, art style and basic gameplay pretty well realised. If they could create a game with the ingenuity and complexity of Sands of Time, it could be pretty spectacular. The engine is there - has been since Assassins Creed. Now they just need to go the extra step and work on creating the game said technology deserves!

I liked it and the animation stlye really suits the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I am nearly finished this now. It's looks good but it's a little reptitive. The combat is a bit annoying. It doesn't require much skill and the combos feel forced i.e you can only do this combo when the game says press B etc. Also sometimes it feels like the game is playing for you i.e. you just have to press A and the prince will jump to a pillar and turn around facing where you need to go next.

It's worth playing for when
    The concubine creates illusions of Elka and you have to kill yourself, so the real one will save you

You can do combos when you are just fighting them, you dont need to wait for a letter to flash up....

Attack with your sword and if you mash the button he will do a standard three attack slash. BUT if you tap twice and then go for a grab, you'll throw him into the air. Then use Elika (Y) and let her smack him, then use your own sword and smack him up into the air again. You can bounce them around like rag dolls tbh :)

DeV.
    ps; Silvine, I thought that was the best bit too... especially since I came up with the idea while playing with mates :):p

• Advertisement
Advertisement