Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Locked out"

Options
  • 29-12-2008 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭

I have just been speaking to my auntie in Dublin and she has told me that she's having a problem with the internet and outlook express.
    She was on the phone to two different Eircon technicians, one told her to reset the Netopia by using a pin around the back. The other one was getting her to do ping tests and the outcome is she's "locked out" and needs to get a new thingy. :rolleyes:

I asked her what lights were showing on the modem and she said there were some amber ones and a some green ones. She said that when she reset the modem there were red ones but they only stayed amber and green.

Does it sound like the modem is screwed?

I'll be going up on Thursday and can take another modem with me to check the internet, but is it likely to be anything else?

She says the computer is running fine otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Which lights stayed what colour?

Tell her to get the manual and read it. Resetting the router = starting from scratch. The manual details how to connect to it and what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Karoma wrote: »

Tell her to get the manual and read it. Resetting the router = starting from scratch. The manual details how to connect to it and what to do.

Not sure, she didn't say and I've had too many drinks to want to know right now. ;)

I told her to have username and password ready for when I go up Thursday. Hopefully we'll get it up and running again.

I'll take up my old Zysel, or whatever it's called, USb modem. That should be handy to check it out shouldn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

If its usb only then don't forget the drivers for it.

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Good point. I have the CD as well. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Karoma wrote: »

the reset button on the back is just like restartin it, when i was witn eircon i reset it loads of times and never had to enter any config when it came back on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Unless they got her to hold the button in for say 7 secs then the settings will be erased!!!!

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

kleefarr wrote: »
    I have just been speaking to my auntie in Dublin and she has told me that she's having a problem with the internet and outlook express.
    She was on the phone to two different Eircon technicians, one told her to reset the Netopia by using a pin around the back. The other one was getting her to do ping tests and the outcome is she's "locked out" and needs to get a new thingy. :rolleyes:

I asked her what lights were showing on the modem and she said there were some amber ones and a some green ones. She said that when she reset the modem there were red ones but they only stayed amber and green.

Does it sound like the modem is screwed?

I'll be going up on Thursday and can take another modem with me to check the internet, but is it likely to be anything else?

She says the computer is running fine otherwise.

Lol, I doubt they said get a new thingy :P.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

The IOL news server was borked, but appears to be working now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Unless they got her to hold the button in for say 7 secs then the settings will be erased!!!!

MC

Eircom modems all have the same settings including the same username and password (eircom and broadband1). If you reset an eircom modem it's good to go in terms of internet connectivity but if the wep key had been changed from the default it'd have to be put back obviously

Advertisement