Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Match Thread: Man utd v Boro

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭DenMan

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Did you not watch last year? Away United will go 4-5-1 with Rooney on the wing doing Defensive duties leaving Berbs to do his job.

Also after the last few match threads broke down to Rooney and Ronnie bashing at unprofessionalism where's the disgust at Pogatetz? Also what about the well known facts that if Rooney or Ronaldo didnt play for United they'd be sent off? Don't remember Pogatetz in a United jersey.. How come he didn't go?

I fancy Inter scoring at Old Trafford. Maybe more than one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Fiver says they dont!

And of course Berbatov and Rooney amongst the bonus points on fantasy football site. How are they decided! joke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

have a read back and see who brought Liverpool into it.

wasn't having a go at liverpool fans on here at all i know who brought it up..its just gets boring..

The match was very frustrating.delighted Berbatov got a goal hopefully it'll be the start of something beautiful(and worth 30mil:D).. i thought he played well tonight some good passing...
    Ronaldo in the first half was bad, he tried a lot but it just wasn't working for him.
    Park was good aswell but his finishing lets him down.i felt he deserved a goal for all his effort..the defense was solid which is always reassuring..
    I think the inter matches will be very tough if we're missing vidic for the both of them{do we know what the story is with that yet?)
    I didn't think we were going to get the goal tonight, but it came thank god
    We're definatley going to have to step up our game for chelsea's visit or we could be in trouble

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

DenMan wrote: »
    I fancy Inter scoring at Old Trafford. Maybe more than one.

Fair enough. In the Champions league and Premiership United this season have conceeded 6 goals at Old Trafford. I don't see it happening but you're entitled to your opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Oh one last thing ;)

What was that banner across the Stretford End about? Something to do with trophies won I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

mike65 wrote: »
    Oh one last thing ;)

What was that banner across the Stretford End about? Something to do with trophies won I think.

"Manchester European capital of trophies 2008"

think it was taking the piss out of Liverpool being European capital of culture 2008.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭Killme00

missed the game, another 1-0 goddamn

Whats this about a banner in the Stretford end?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Does nobody else remember our run of 1-0 wins last season. I know the results don't look good but our performances have been alright with plenty of chances being created. Only two points dropped at home so far. Still in touch with the league leaders after a difficult first half of the season (considering the away games we have played and the disruptions to our season), in the next round of the CL, semis of the CC, and no major injuries going into the 2nd half the season. With all things considered I would say job done for the first half of the season, I am really relishing the next 5 months and I'm sure the club is too.

A title fight with Liverpool would be brilliant it would make equalling there fantastic record all the better if we beat them to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

The main issue I had with tonights performance and against Stoke was that the majority of our play went across /through the middle. In the second half tonight, I saw one cross (after beating the full back) put in, that was Fletcher who crossed to an empty box. We were clearly short on ideas and I just felt we could have used Ronaldo to greater effect by getting him to run at the full back. O'Shea and Rafael didnt offer much support going forward either. Gary Neville had an impact when he came on as he was getting up the wing. Frustrating night, however we have picked up maximum points on our return from Japan which was something I was worried might not happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Yeah you's are doing well to be getting the points anyway, that's the main thing.

As an outsider on Man U I think that your fringe players aren't as up to the task this year and are scraping by sometimes much like Liverpool do did at the start.

It's gonna be an interesting 2nd half to the season, I think it's down to a two horse race, hard to rule Chelsea out but they seem to have lost something in this season (jammy deflected goals to equalise/win).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭eddiehead

bohsman wrote: »
    Aidan has KK Ciaran has 77

Flop AJ8 5 K

Ciaran gone in 5th.

LEPO update thread maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

Me tired.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭doonothing

Trilla wrote: »
    Fiver says they dont!

And of course Berbatov and Rooney amongst the bonus points on fantasy football site. How are they decided! joke

+1

And, no way :O
    Is there any indication to how the points are awarded?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

Highsider wrote: »
    Berba turning out to be the biggest flop since Veron. Spurs must be killing themselves with laughter...30m :D

Sure they can be killing themselves with laughter over the £49m they got in total for Berbatov and Keane.

There's no doubt that Berbatov has the skill to socre a couple of vital goals between now and the end of the season. United are in a decent position to defend their League and they're still in the Champions League.

Let Spurs laugh with their relegation battle and defence of the Carling Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

SteM wrote: »
    Sure they can be killing themselves with laughter over the £49m they got in total for Berbatov and Keane.

There's no doubt that Berbatov has the skill to socre a couple of vital goals between now and the end of the season. United are in a decent position to defend their League and they're still in the Champions League.

Let Spurs laugh with their relegation battle and defence of the Carling Cup.

In fairness, for all your bluff, he is not turning out to be the player that Manu thought he would be. Unless there is a major turn-around in form, he will be a major flop, of Veron proportions.

I do find it amusing, however, that Manu fans can "look over" the terrible performances last night and at the weekend and give it the usual "3 points", "look at all the 1-0 wins last year", "yada yada yada" and when other teams do it, it's a case of " sure you won't be that lucky for the rest of the season".

Utd are not firing on all cylinders, and it will just be a matter of time before they do really slip up, be it in the league, or as I suspect, in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,719 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Scholes is the best midfielder in the league. Keeping himself and Carrick fit and in the centre will be the key to Uniteds success.

Berbatov was the difference last night and against Stoke, sublime assist for Tevez and great finish last night. His 2 seasons with Spurs he really only got going in December, seems he is carrying on that tradition with United.

Boro didn't park the bus and that's a credit to them but United did cut them apart at times, A straight Ronaldo and it would have been 4 or 5 for United last night.

3 Lung Park was definately out to prove himself for that contract too, shocking miss but apart from that I thought he was excellent, even getting himself booked.

United have the best defense in Europe last season to come back, the most successful midfield partnership the past 2 seasons and the majority of the sticky away matches played. 2 Cup matches up next to set them up nicely for the big one one at OT, a must win to get one point behind Chelsea with 2 games in hand, Liverpool have a sticky away game at stoke the evening previous. Exciting times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭SteM

I'm not overlooking anything and I'm not bluffing anything. I said to a friend last night while watching the game that Berbatov is reminding me of Veron. A good player but not the right player for United at the time that he came in. I usually try to give new players a year before judging them totally though.

Everything else I said is fact. United are still in the League and CL. They're not scoring many goals yet the goal difference is +19 whereas the league leaders are +22.

It seems that any of the top 4 or 5 could mess up on any given weekend this season, not sure why you're singling United out for the slip. They're as defensively sound as any of the top 4 (shipped one more than Chelsea and three less than Liverpool). That's a solid foundation to build on at least.

Hobart wrote: »
    Utd are not firing on all cylinders, and it will just be a matter of time before they do really slip up, be it in the league, or as I suspect, in the CL.

Or alternatively fire up those remaining cylinders and win the quadrouple. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Boggles wrote: »
    Or alternatively fire up those remaining cylinders and win the quadrouple. ;)

They are more than capable of it (quadruple :D), I just see very little sign of it of late.

And I'm not even close to be being convinced about Liverpool or Chelsea either tbh, but that's probably for another thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

In fairness, for all your bluff, he is not turning out to be the player that Manu thought he would be. Unless there is a major turn-around in form, he will be a major flop, of Veron proportions.

Really, a flop already?? 7 goals and 6 assists in 16 games, league and champions league. That’s some flop.

Also I'm loving our defence at the moment only conceded 4 goals at home all season and 3 of them was against Hull.

I love how bad we are playing, just love it!

• Advertisement

They are more than capable of it (quadruple :D), I just see very little sign of it of late.

I agree with you Hobart, I have not seen United turn out this season, but I think the Scholes and Carrick partnership is the key, with the strong back four behind them.

It can be argued aswell that Berbatov is a flop, it all depends on the level of expection people had from him, 7 assists and 3 goals in 15 league appearences is a poor return especially goal wise, but having watched every minute of him he is improving and should improve his goal ratio, I think even United of last season would have only drawn against Stoke and Boro last night, I have to say Berbatov was the difference.

As for people saying Spurs are laughing at the 50 odd million that they got from the transfers of Keane and Berbatov, I doubt many Spurs fans are giddy at the moment. If they get beaten by a strong Wigan side away next it could mean rock bottom for the Londoners.

I know Spurs fans and selling the 3 international strikers without replacing them was not amusing in the least. What will it cost them in January to bring in the new faces, add to that what Ramos was paid to leave and what Arry was paid to take over and your not getting much change from your 50 million.

Come May Keane or Berbatov could be lifting some serious trophies, I wonder will there still be people laughing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,999 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

RasTa wrote: »
    Really, a flop already?? 7 goals and 6 assists in 16 games, league and champions league. That’s some flop.

Also I'm loving our defence at the moment only conceded 4 goals at home all season and 3 of them was against Hull.

I love how bad we are playing, just love it!
    Berbatov has been a flop so far, no question about it.

Interestingly, I mentioned this as the game was starting last night. I think yet again it was proven that Evans looks good playing with Vidic but has looked horrendous beside Ferdinand. As I've said before I think Vidic makes Ferdinand look better than he is and I think the performances of Evans beside both prove that point. My personal opinion is that Ferdinand is the most overrated defender in the Premier League while Vidic is underrated by most. I don't think its any accident that the United defence improved significantly when Vidic arrived and two league titles and a Champions League in that time sort of prove his worth.

eagle eye wrote: »
    while Vidic is underrated by most.

I don't know what "most" people you would be talking to, but I have yet to come across anybody who ever they support underate Vidic???

But I have come across plenty who slate Ferdinand, so I don't really know what you are trying to prove or point your trying to get across.
    I don't think its any accident that the United defence improved significantly when Vidic arrived and two league titles and a Champions League in that time sort of prove his worth.

You can also add Evra to that and a bang in form Brown, dismissing Ferdinand as not being a big part of that is quite naive to be honest.

Basically your wrong, a denfense is only as strong as it's weakest link. Ferdinand is an excellent centre half, so is Vidic, together they complement each other superbly.

I don't know what "most" people you would be talking to, but I have yet to come across anybody who ever they support underate Vidic???

But I have come across plenty who slate Ferdinand, so I don't really know what you are trying to prove or point your trying to get across.
    Well basically what I'm saying is that you could put 6 other Premier League defenders beside him and the United defence would be as solid as when Ferdinand plays along side Vidic. It might even get better.

Well basically what I'm saying is that you could put 6 other Premier League defenders beside him and the United defence would be as solid as when Ferdinand plays along side Vidic. It might even get better.

Nonsense.

Nonsense.
    please explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

please explain

He doesn't have to explain, because what you're saying is nonsense.

I do find it amusing, however, that Manu fans can "look over" the terrible performances last night and at the weekend and give it the usual "3 points", "look at all the 1-0 wins last year", "yada yada yada" and when other teams do it, it's a case of " sure you won't be that lucky for the rest of the season".

The only thing terrible about our performance last night was the finishing. Everything else about our game was very very good. The stoke game was poor but a lot of people will go away to Stoke and struggle. The fact it was after the trip to Japan makes the 1-0 wins perfectly acceptable.

We all all know when you say "other teams" you mean Liverpool so just say it. And the reason that is said about Liverpool (not just by United fans) is because we are used to Liverpool having a really crappy month every season and dropping off.

As for it being a matter of time before we slip up. Well off course thats possible buts its equally possible we start taking a greater percentage of our chances and start demolishing teams.

He doesn't have to explain, because what you're saying is nonsense.
    Have you read what I've written, my point is quite clear. Put Evans beside Vidic and he looks decent, put Evans beside Ferdinand and he looks terrible.

Explain that.

Or of course its easy to hide behind a silly comment like you just did and say no more, rather than hide a lack of knowledge and/or a lack of a good argument to show me where I'm wrong here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Have you read what I've written, my point is quite clear. Put Evans beside Vidic and he looks decent, put Evans beside Ferdinand and he looks terrible.

Explain that.

Certain types of players compliment other types of players. Doesn't mean any of them are crap, just that certain pairings work. Balde for example, with an intelligent defender beside him is actually pretty good, but with an equally dim (even if good) one, he's poor and looks lost.

Vidic does a lot of the dirty work so more refined defenders like Evans and Rio can do what they do best. Not strange that when the tough guy is out of the picture, the other two dont work as well together.

Explain that.

Or of course its easy to hide behind a silly comment like you just did and say no more, rather than hide a lack of knowledge and/or a lack of a good argument to show me where I'm wrong here.

I believe the nonsense part was regarding the 6 defenders comments. Please name the six defenders that you could put in beside Vidic and the United defense would be the same or better.

I could also explain how Evans looks better beside Vidic then Ferdinand very easily.

Vidic attacks the ball better than Evans or Ferdinand, and is a more physical defender. Evans and Ferdinand tend to read the game ahead of the them and defend by being in the right position quicker then the attacker. Evans and Ferdinand can "dove tail" with Vidic nicely. While Evans and Ferdinand together leaves the defense looking unbalanced.

So its not about which is the better player its about the partnership, I agree Evans and Vidic make a better partnership then Rio and Evans. But

Rio and Vidic > all IMO

I believe the nonsense part was regarding the 6 defenders comments. Please name the six defenders that you could put in beside Vidic and the United defense would be the same or better.

I could also explain how Evans looks better beside Vidic then Ferdinand very easily.

Vidic attacks the ball better than Evans or Ferdinand, and is a more physical defender. Evans and Ferdinand tend to read the game ahead of the them and defend by being in the right position quicker then the attacker. Evans and Ferdinand can "dove tail" with Vidic nicely. While Evans and Ferdinand together leaves the defense looking unbalanced.

So its not about which is the better player its about the partnership, I agree Evans and Vidic make a better partnership then Rio and Evans. But

Rio and Vidic > all IMO
    Laursen, Toure, Carragher, Woodgate, Richards and Distan could all replace him without loss to United and the first two might improve the defence. Not to mention Evans who has shown he can be excellent beside Vidic and there are probably a few others as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Laursen, Toure, Carragher, Woodgate, Richards and Distan could all replace him without loss to United and the first two might improve the defence. Not to mention Evans who has shown he can be excellent beside Vidic and there are probably a few others as well.

All decent defenders but im not sure any of those clubs would keep their players if Rio was an option, barring age.

And Toure better? he's barely been first chocie for Arsenal this year...

please explain

You are talking nonsense for the following reasons.

1. Vidic is underated - incorrect
    2. Ferdinand is over rated and gets all the accolades - incorrect
    3. You could put 6 other centre backs beside Vidic and the partnership would be better than Vidic / Ferdinand - incorrect
    4. Evans 2 best games IMO were the one last night and the one against Villareal at OT. Where he partnered both Vidic and Ferdinand respectively.
    5. Uniteds 2 most impressive defensive displays last season were the 2 games against Barcalona where it was a Ferdinand / Brown partnership.

You obviously don't like Ferdinand or rate him which is fair enough, but when your not been fair and balanced you will be accused of talking nonsense which in this situation you clearly are.

You obviously don't like Ferdinand or rate him which is fair enough, but when your not been fair and balanced you will be accused of talking nonsense which in this situation you clearly are.
    LMFAO, why do people think you dislike someone when you say that he is overrated?

I just don't think he is as good as he touted to be, thats all, I think that Laursen and Toure are better than him.

As it turns out I like the guy, he gives his all every game and you cannot fault him for that. I have said before that he has leadership qualities as well and I give credit where I feel its due.

I personally believe that Vidic is the best centreback in the World. I believe that Evra is one of the top three left backs in the world also. He may well be the best but its a tight call between him and two others. I just think that Ferdinand is overrated by so many, he reads the game well and is a top defender, lets get that clear, I'm not saying that he is average in any way, I just think that there are a good few better than him. For me he was going downhill until Vidic arrived at Old Trafford, he has improved since Vidic's arrival but I'm starting to wonder if thats down to Vidic being able to make others around him look better than they really are, i.e. Evans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

LMFAO, why do people think you dislike someone when you say that he is overrated?

I just don't think he is as good as he touted to be, thats all, I think that Laursen and Toure are better than him.

As it turns out I like the guy, he gives his all every game and you cannot fault him for that. I have said before that he has leadership qualities as well and I give credit where I feel its due.

I personally believe that Vidic is the best centreback in the World. I believe that Evra is one of the top three left backs in the world also. He may well be the best but its a tight call between him and two others. I just think that Ferdinand is overrated by so many, he reads the game well and is a top defender, lets get that clear, I'm not saying that he is average in any way, I just think that there are a good few better than him. For me he was going downhill until Vidic arrived at Old Trafford, he has improved since Vidic's arrival but I'm starting to wonder if thats down to Vidic being able to make others around him look better than they really are, i.e. Evans.

vidic is the best centre back in the world?? hmmm, interesting. im sure if he was english he would be hyped as such in the english media..dunno if its true tho.

and in your opinion then, who are these 3 left backs that are the best in the world but you cannot pick between?? interesting that initially abidal was first choice left back for france in euro 2008. for the record i agree about evra, class left back

Might be something to do with these nonsense comments.

Interestingly, I mentioned this as the game was starting last night. I think yet again it was proven that Evans looks good playing with Vidic but has looked horrendous beside Ferdinand.

Incorrect and already pointed out to you.
    As I've said before I think Vidic makes Ferdinand look better than he is and I think the performances of Evans beside both prove that point.

My personal opinion is that Ferdinand is the most overrated defender in the Premier League

I don't think its any accident that the United defence improved significantly when Vidic arrived and two league titles and a Champions League in that time sort of prove his worth.

As was pointed out to you aswell, it has been a combination of things, Evra, Brown, Ferdinand, VDS, Neville, Hargreaves, O'Shea

A defense is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Not once have you explored the possibilty that Ferdinand might make Vidic a better footballer, as most top class centre partnerships work, but this concept seems alien to you for some reason.

And I think statements like that make you sound like somebody who only started watching football last month.

Oh and between the 2 in the past 2 seasons Ferdinand has had 18 more appearances. ;)

Both are excellent but differenct CB's and as a partnership are up there as the best in the world, to say Toure or Laursen (or 4 others you can think of) would make a better partnership with Vidic is borderline crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭genericgoon

mormank wrote: »
    vidic is the best centre back in the world?? hmmm, interesting. im sure if he was english he would be hyped as such in the english media..dunno if its true tho.

There is proof of that. He's called John Terry. :pac:

A defense is only as strong as it's weakest link.

Not once have you explored the possibilty that Ferdinand might make Vidic a better footballer, as most top class centre partnerships work, but this concept seems alien to you for some reason.

And I think statements like that make you sound like somebody who only started watching football last month.

Oh and between the 2 in the past 2 seasons Ferdinand has had 18 more appearances. ;)

Both are excellent but differenct CB's and as a partnership are up there as the best in the world, to say Toure or Laursen (or 4 others you can think of) would make a better partnership with Vidic is borderline crazy.
    Just for a start I'm watching football for over 30 years and played the game and managed teams for about 17 years in total. Not at a very high level I hastily add. But what you are saying here is that I cannot be right because you say so.
    I know the type of defender Rio is, I know the type of defender Vidic is, but its clear that two different defenders often make the best partnerships. I'm not disagreeing with that, but I certainly believe that Vidic is so good that he can play with a number of defenders beside him who would give the same service as Rio and one or two who might give better service.
    Even the notion that this could be correct seems alien to you, obviously you are a United fan and a big Rio fan. May I ask how long you are following football? Maybe Rio has been there for most of your memories as a United fan.
    I just think that the more I see others play central defence with Vidic the more I am convinced that Ferdinand is not as good as he once was. His career seemed to be on the slide before the arrival of Vidic at Old Trafford and most people thought that, but now he is suddenly considered the best in the Premier League by a large majority of United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,449 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

In fairness - Rio was playing alongside Silvestre before Vidic arrived, and Silvestre was at his very worst. Rio looks great beside Vidic because Vidic is great, thus Rio doesn't have to mop up after a Vidic mistake like he did Silvestre. Rio is playing the best football of his career - he had an iffy start to the season, but he is back to his best now imo. Sure, Vidic allows him to look better than he is, but Rio does the same for Vidic - they improve eachother cause they are a great partnership.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There's no doubt about this. If United don't step it up, they are in trouble. That much is clear to most United fans.

But a lot of us just assume we will pick it up, because we are currently playing well below par.

That said, our lack of clinical-ness in the past 2 seasons was hidden by Ronaldo's incredible clinicalness. At the moment, he's been infecfted by the Ballon'dor curse, which he needs to snap out of right quick. Either that or Rooney/Berbatov need to find their scoring form, because at hte moment, we haven't one clinical player in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

thought the commentator was funny the other night when Ronaldo tried to control the ball and it slipped under his boot, "ronaldo loses it, it rolls right under his golden boot" or something to that effect.

As for the Vidic Ferdinand debate, cop on. Evans doesn't look as good next to Ferdinand, because he's asked to do Vidic's role and can't do it that well. When doing his natural role, he performs.

As for Vidic making Evans look great, maybe he has, but it doesn't change the fact that Vidic has been well below par without Ferdinand, and this season as a whole really. Last night he got caught out of position twice against Boro, hardly a world class attack. The week before it was the same. Arsenals goal by Nasri was all down to poor positioning by Vidic. Best CB in the world? You're having a laugh. Carvalho and Ferdinand are actually in another league to Vidic, who is a great player, but not best in the world.

The idea that we could replace Ferdinand with any of the other top 6 and be fine is as stupid as it is proven wrong by history. When Ferdinand was out with the drugs problem, we were absolutely completely utterly ****e in defence.

Last season, Ferdinand was the best CB in the world. His performances were just out of this world. After Ronaldo, he was without a doubt our best player.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    thought the commentator was funny the other night when Ronaldo tried to control the ball and it slipped under his boot, "ronaldo loses it, it rolls right under his golden boot" or something to that effect.

Yeh, heard that. You just know he thought that up in a bar, and has been waiting for a chance to use it.

But what you are saying here is that I cannot be right because you say so.

Well nearly everything you have said so far on this thread you have been either wrong, inaccurate or just plain old fashioned bollix.
    His career seemed to be on the slide before the arrival of Vidic at Old Trafford and most people thought that, but now he is suddenly considered the best in the Premier League by a large majority of United fans.

More bollix of course.

Ferdinand was in the PFA team of the year 2005, Vidic arrived Jan 2006, no United defender made it in that year.

In your 30 years of football and 17 year management career you think you would have learned to stop talking out of your arsé.

Ferguson and Capallo, 2 of the most experienced and decorated managers in history rate Ferdinand highly, but you with all your "experience" you make him sound like Titus Bramble.

Ferguson and Capallo, 2 of the most experienced and decorated managers in history rate Ferdinand highly, but you with all your "experience" you make him sound like Titus Bramble.
    Where did I say at any stage that he is not a top defender?

Clearly you are not reading what I say with a clear mind.

I said that I think there are a couple of players who could do as good a job and two who I believe could do a better job.

I never said he was poor at any stage, I never said he was not a top defender, I said that imo he is overrated and that the reason for that is because Vidic makes him look better than he actually is. He is still among the elite defenders in the Premier League, no question about that.

I said that I think there are a couple of players who could do as good a job and two who I believe could do a better job......

He is still among the elite defenders in the Premier League, no question about that.

You have a strange understanding of the word 'elite'

Forget it, I should have just stopped when you said this:

Nonsense, Who underates Vidic? FFS!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Just for a start I'm watching football for over 30 years and played the game and managed teams for about 17 years in total. Not at a very high level I hastily add. But what you are saying here is that I cannot be right because you say so.
    I know the type of defender Rio is, I know the type of defender Vidic is, but its clear that two different defenders often make the best partnerships. I'm not disagreeing with that, but I certainly believe that Vidic is so good that he can play with a number of defenders beside him who would give the same service as Rio and one or two who might give better service.
    Even the notion that this could be correct seems alien to you, obviously you are a United fan and a big Rio fan. May I ask how long you are following football? Maybe Rio has been there for most of your memories as a United fan.
    I just think that the more I see others play central defence with Vidic the more I am convinced that Ferdinand is not as good as he once was. His career seemed to be on the slide before the arrival of Vidic at Old Trafford and most people thought that, but now he is suddenly considered the best in the Premier League by a large majority of United fans.

Jaysus, Laursen and Toure! You're having a laugh, Laursen has had 3 good months this season and 5 good years in Fantasy Football with goals from corners! If you think Laursen is a better defender than Ferdinand then you need your head examined.

Toure can't get a game for Arsenal!

Draupnir wrote: »
    Jaysus, Laursen and Toure! You're having a laugh, Laursen has had 3 good months this season and 5 good years in Fantasy Football with goals from corners! If you think Laursen is a better defender than Ferdinand then you need your head examined.

Toure can't get a game for Arsenal!

Tis no real surprise that when he talks about his "managerial career" it is in the past tense. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Jesus lads i'm sorry for startin this thread in the first place:o
    I only started it to talk bout the match. That feels like a lifetime ago now.
    Can we please stop the bitchin and the fuedin for the childrens sakes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement