Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Twickers

• 29-12-2008 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi, I'm thinking of trying to get over to the Wasps V Leinster match on 17 Jan for my stag. I don't know London so was hoping someone here could give me some info.

What's the best airport to use? Is Twickenham close to the city / nightlife? Is it on a tube / train line? Get a hotel near Twickenham or somewhere else? Any hotels anyone could recommend? Any other info?

Cheers in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭RugbyFanatic

LinoRichie wrote: »
    Hi, I'm thinking of trying to get over to the Wasps V Leinster match on 17 Jan for my stag. I don't know London so was hoping someone here could give me some info.

What's the best airport to use? Is Twickenham close to the city / nightlife? Is it on a tube / train line? Get a hotel near Twickenham or somewhere else? Any hotels anyone could recommend? Any other info?

Cheers in advance.

Its only a few miles from heathrow and the london underground is a few minutes walk from the stadium

They usually set up a nice camp for all the away fans with beer stalls etc. I went over for Munster final in HC and had a great time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Not really been out in London before, so what’s the craic and the places to go? I heard Liverpool Street is good?

Do u think there’ll be a pub that all the Leinster supporters will take over or is it best to head straight for town after??

I got tickets and am flying out of Gatwick but not got accommodation; think I might stay in central London… Anyone got any ideas??

All suggestions very much welcome.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭louthandproud

03mcgs0 wrote: »
    Not really been out in London before, so what’s the craic and the places to go? I heard Liverpool Street is good?

Do u think there’ll be a pub that all the Leinster supporters will take over or is it best to head straight for town after??

I got tickets and am flying out of Gatwick but not got accommodation; think I might stay in central London… Anyone got any ideas??

Cheers

London itself is so big you probably wouldn't even notice that there was a match on if you are hangout in the city centre areas, Richmond town (close to Twickers) is good for rugby atmosphere, there's a pub there called Molly Malones (I Think) it's usually hoping after Ireland games. It's on the tube line too, so easy to get into clubs in town later if you want to, tubes run till around 10:30-11ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭llcoolj14

03mcgs0 wrote: »

Cheers

If you want to stay with the rugby crew, Id suggest you go to leinsterfans.com and see what the official plans are-your also likely to find useful info on hotels etc...if you want to get away from the rugby,there are plenty of places to go in London...depends how big your stag is, and how messy it will get thou...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭03mcgs0

Cheers lads, all info taken on board anyone else with tips or their own plans for the weekend all are very much welcome.

Should be a cracking weekend, hope I remember it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

If you're going to twickers, you have two options really : train out to twickenham station - 30 mins walk through twickenham town and you're there. Other option is the tube to Richmond and about a 30-50 min walk (depends on the route - there are one or two ways to avoid the crowd). Hope its of some help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭garbanzo

See you there lads. Looking forward to it. There is a good pub in Richmond called ''The Lemon Tree " which is rugby friendly. Turn right outside the tube station and it is there on the left. As said earlier there will probably be other (and larger) sporting events on in London that day so don't expect a festival atmosphere like you'd have in Dublin when a big day is on. Have a safe trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭Ulstermell0

I live in South London and alway get overground to Twick from Clapham Junction.
    useually ok for HC matches but was a bit of a pain getting back on the train after the Eng-NZ match.

I'm going to head to this one, I see on the Ticketmaster site they are offering 2-4-1 tickets with a promotional code/password does any one have the code by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

useually ok for HC matches but was a bit of a pain getting back on the train after the Eng-NZ match.

I'm going to head to this one, I see on the Ticketmaster site they are offering 2-4-1 tickets with a promotional code/password does any one have the code by any chance?

There's a fan site called "Drunken Wasps" and a forum on the club site iirc. Go incognito and ask there if it isn't already posted. I'd imagine it was an offer sent out in an email to supporters club members of Wasps to get the numbers up, but they will more than likely spread the word around the net.

May be tickets in the home section though is the only thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,198 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Had the same experience for the Ba-Ba's vs. SA - train was absolutely jammed, ended up going back by a few pubs in twickenham heading towards richmond. TBH, if I was going again, I'd go the richmond route, simply because there are waay more options if you want a pint or two before the game that isn't jammed.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    There's a fan site called "Drunken Wasps" and a forum on the club site iirc. Go incognito and ask there if it isn't already posted. I'd imagine it was an offer sent out in an email to supporters club members of Wasps to get the numbers up, but they will more than likely spread the word around the net.

May be tickets in the home section though is the only thing.

thanks this was a great help - i hope anyone going to this game has a
    'WASPSNEWYEAR' ;)

grr missed the deadline - midnight last night, duh!

lino - you may find this helpful - http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/downloads/Wasps_Away_Guide.pdf

Advertisement