Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

o2 broadband on linux

• 29-12-2008 7:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭

I bought an acer aspire one, which runs on lipus linux, a version of fedora I'm told. I want to install my o2 broadband onto it so that I can use it as I had intended. I attach it via usb and I can't get the .exe to do... anything really. I have installed wine to get by any limitations in terms of windows apps.

Anybody have any suggestons on how to get it working? Something step by step would be most appreciated.

(I'm writing this from another laptop by the way!)

Cheers ladies and gents.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Don't try using the exe in Wine. There's no need for it and it almost certainly won't work. Fedora 10, is it? Try using the network manager (in taskbar). Open it up and bring up the tab for mobile broadband. The newer versions of the network manager support mobile broadband pretty much out-of-the-box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

I'm afraid I'll need to be baied through this if you would be so kind! I'm opening up the connection manager and there is no tab or any kind, just the option to connect to wireless signals or to create a new connection. If I follow that path there is no given option for a usb connected device. Would the connection be given another name?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 573 ✭✭✭MacGyver

its possible, but its ages since ive done it and it was on 3ireland but if you have a look here you might find something to help. i know its a different OS but similar thing should work http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=4146160

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Hi, I found this on Google:

http://www.linux.com/forums/topic/2807

Some of the settings might be slightly different with O2, like the APN and the phone number. I had one of those working in Ubuntu, but it was with 3 - it's quite easy once you figure out how to do it. Nowadays these are just plug and play in Ubuntu.
    Anyway, hope this helps and good luck.:)
    CONFIGURING 3 MOBILE BROADBAND FOR LINPUS LITE (HUAWEI E160g)

Plug in your usb modem and turn on your AA1 (this is important, the AA1 will not properly detect you modem if power is already on)

1.ACTIVATE ADVANCED SETTINGS (if you havn't already!)

There is a walk through on YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CmbYrvt3e8)

Open my documents, then click 'file', then 'terminal'.
    Type: xfce-setting-show
    Press enter
    Click on 'desktop' tab
    Click on 'behaviour' tab
    Tick show desktop menu on right click

2.OPEN GNOME-PPP

Right click on desktop screen
    Then move mouse over 'network' and click on 'GNOME PPP'
    Type in your password (the one you chose when you first switched on) and press enter

3.CONFIGURE GNOME-PPP

In username type: three
    In password type: three
    Tick remember password
    In phone number type: *99#
    Click 'setup'
    Click 'detect'
    After a short while your modem will be detected
    Click 'init strings'
    In init 2 field enter: ATZ
    In init 3 field enter: AT+CGDCONT=1,”IP”,”three.co.uk”
    Click 'close'
    Click options and you can choose to minimise on connect (if u want)

4.CONNECT TO THREE

Click 'connect'
    After around 30 seconds you should be connected
    At this point you will not be able to surf the web, we need to edit a file first

5.SET PRIMARY DNS

Right click on the icon of two black screens at the bottom right of the desktop and then click 'connection log'
    Scroll down to 'Primary DNS address' and copy the address, i.e. (172.31.140.69)
    Click 'close'
    Right click on the desktop
    Click on 'terminal'
    Type: sudo mousepad /etc/resolv.conf
    Press enter
    A new window will open
    Delete the part that says 'generated by network manager do not edit'
    Then type in nameserver
    Press the space bar and then paste in the copied DNS address
    Click f'ile'
    Click 'save'
    Close the window
    Close the terminal
    Open your browser and hopefully you can now surf via you 3 usb mobem.

GOOD LUCK and please let me know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

i have a *.deb file supplied by 02 germany which their tech support supplied when pushed on linux. From what I gathered from reading the related forums it did work. I have have never actually used it myself.

• Advertisement

boidey wrote: »
    i have a *.deb file supplied by 02 germany which their tech support supplied when pushed on linux. From what I gathered from reading the related forums it did work. I have have never actually used it myself.

I don't think that would work in Linpus/Fedora because they use .rpm binary executables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

I'm not familiar with the Aspire One but I'll try give ye a hand.
    Open the Package Manager(It might be called "Add/Remove Software") and look for network-manager, version 0.7. Install it.

If it isn't there try this.
    Download Network Manager 0.7
    Save it to your Desktop on the Acer Aspire One

Using the info from the links below, open up a terminal.

type sudo rpm -UHv /home/username/Desktop/NetworkManager-0.7.0-0.11.svn4229.fc10.i386.rpm replacing username with your actual username

You can download network-manager from any computer and copy it on to the Acer Aspire one.Copy it to the desktop or the above command won't work.

Its very important that its version 0.7 as this makes it as easy as possible.
    When network-manager is installed, plug in your O2 3G usb modem.

It should prompt you to configure the modem - I think you just pick Ireland,click next,select O2,maybe enter a password and then you're done.

Open up your web browser and see if it works.

How to access the terminal. A step by step guide from Laptopmag

FYI Aspireoneuser.com forum - installing software

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭corkie

Check this link if your you wish to stick with the pre-installed linux!

Alternatively replace the the OS with a version of ubuntu.
    eeebuntu designed for the eeepc also works well with acer aspire one.

Regards,
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭thelepo

Cheers to all. I'll try this out when I can get the laptop to a wireless point soon and get back to you. At least one of these methods should work. I'll try installing network manager first.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 16 daveyj

Hi
    I recently got an Acer Aspire One, running Linux. (linpus)
    I also bought the O2 broadband €20/month. Modem unit is a Huawei E220.

This is how i got them to work;

1: Download the latest firmware for the Huawei HSDPA Modem which is the white thing with O2 written on it from

http://www.o2online.ie/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/firmware+update

2: Using a windows computer, unzip the files on the desktop. Take the sim card out of the O2 modem, if you had already put it in. Connect the modem to your computer. Wait a few seconds for it to be picked up and the computer to say your new hardware is ready to use, or whatever it says. Double click the file on your desktop called "E220_CustCare_Firmware_Jan2009" and then double click the file "E220 SU Part1". And follow the instructions. This is the new dashboard update for your modem. When this is complete, double click the file "E220 SU Part2", and follow the instructions again until it is succesful. Your O2 Huawei HSDPA Modem is now fully up to date and no problems should arise from it's end of things.

3: Turn on your Acer Aspire One, and perform a "Live Update". This gives little security patches and other things that i don't understand. You can find the "Live Update" button in the "Settings" panel. The "Settings" panel button is on the bottom right of the screen above the notification bar (above where the clock is). When you click it follow the instructions, making sure that the update for the Huawei is checked, and click update... then wait. It can take a few mins. Reboot the Acer Aspire One (shut it down and turn it on again)

4: Now when you click on the "Connect" panel arrow (to reveal all connect options) you should see a green icon called "Mobile Partner". Click this and let it load up. Put the sim that came with your O2 Huawei HSDPA Modem into the modem and then connect the modem to any of the Acer Aspire One's USB ports. Leave it a few seconds until the computer recognises it.

5: Now it's just configuring it in "Mobile Partner". In the "Mobile Partner" window, click >tools>options.
    Enter the following information:
    (*please note this is for O2 ireland only, I retrieved this information from an O2 technical person on this number 1850601740*)

Profile management tab:
    Click the button "new"
    Profile name: whatever you want, i put "O2 3G"
    APN: click >static. APN: "open.internet"
    Authentication: access number *99#
    Username: gprs
    Password: gprs
    Authentication Protocol Settings: CHAP

Network tab:
    Network Type: WCDMA preferred
    Band: All bands
    Registration mode: Auto search and register

Thats it. Now click connect.
    All the best

Daveyj

• Advertisement

That's a great how-to.

I think it's really piss poor that Linpus doesn't work right out of the box with the Huawei E2** dongles, they've been fully supported in Ubuntu since last November.

Seeing as a netbook is meant to be a mobile device it's really crap that they haven't it sorted out.

Advertisement