Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Converting WMV,MP4 video files to files that are compatible with the Nokia 6300,6234

• 29-12-2008 7:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    Looking for the benefit of your technological expertise.I have a number of video clips in the WMV and MP4 format on my laptop which I can play with WMP or the Nokia Multimedia Player.In fact I can play all the Nokia clips on WMP.Although codecs were missing I have since downloaded a new package.Anyhow my question is how I convert these files so that they are compatible with the above mobile phones.I have tried using the conversion tool available on the Nokia Multimedia Player.This tool allows conversion to a 3gp video file which appears to be compatible with these phones,certainly the 6300 as I have such files which play perfectly on it.So do you guys have any idea of a converter that will allow me to play these different video files with satisfactory clarity,audio on my mobile phones.Please read the piece below on a forum regarding this problem.

However with the conversion there is Right, I''ve cracked it, and it''s NOT GOOD NEWS.... not good news at all...

You see, for mobile phone playback, there are basically a couple of different video formats:

1) Standard 3gp - Named as "H.263"
    2) ''Enhanced'' 3gp - Often named as "H.264 or AVC"
    3) Full MPEG-4 video.

And the problem is, the new 6300 will only play Number 1 - Standard 3gp files, or H.263 format video.

The problem with this??? H.263 only allows for a maximum resolution of 176x144, and a maximum frame rate of just 15fps.

So in other words, to get video to work on a new 6300, it will be much smaller than even the width of the screen in standard mode, let alone full screen rotated, and it''s gonna be in poor frame rate too.

The 6233 however, will happily play MPEG-4 video, and thus much higher quality, frame rate, and resolution of full screen or even larger.

So the 6300 is absolutely CRAP for use as a video player, even for just short clips etc.

THANK YOU NOKIA!

Looking at the specs of each handset on the Nokia site, it says this:

For the 6233
    "Integrated video player for download and playback or for streaming: 3GPP, H.263 video, MPEG-4, and AMR"

For the new 6300
    "# Music player supporting MP3, MP4, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+, H.263, H.264
    # FM stereo radio with Visual Radio
    # Streaming video (3GPP)"

So much more ambiguous, but much less promising.

Thank you Nokia - just keep crippling the phone more and more with each release - we don''t mind at all.

But to answer the question - you need to encode video in H.263 standard 3gp format - so that means max resolution of 176x144, and max framerate of 15fps.

Which is stupid as the AUDIO aspect of the clips can happily be MPEG-4/H.26

It appears the Nokia 6300 is not very video file format friendly!!!!!
    Ta,
    Selig:eek:

Advertisement