Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wordsworth Edition Classics???

Options
  • 29-12-2008 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭

Bought the Wordsworth Edition of Plato's Republic (student prices ye see!). In this case the punctuation is fairly dated (no commas enclosing dialog!), extremely sparse notes, and the translation over 130 years old, but the price is why I suppose. I can see the reason why one would/would not buy it.

But take other Wordsworth Editions, they seem very cheap. On www.waterstones.co.uk there currently 1 pence cheaper than Penguin Popular Classics (£1.99), even though they are full size and have fully illustrated covers. A few links: Heart of Darkness, Frankenstien, complete collection.

Just wondering if anyone has ever bought an originally English language book from them (as in not translated). Is it the same as the other editions such as Oxford and Penguin? Is is edited in anyway?

Im just curious how they push a profit margin, and if the books are worth getting. If I was to buy some Id get about 8 at a time to save on postage costs and I dont want to be disappointed.

Advertisement