Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to the Uk

Options
  • 29-12-2008 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

hi all,

Im moving to the UK on the first week of february to start a new job. Basically i have few questions for anyone who's already done this.

Firstly what would they recommend i do first, like find a house, set up a uk bank account and must i get a social security number etc for working in the uk.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

to get an social insurance number you need to go to your local job centre with ID (passport/ dirivng licence) and they´ll arrange an interview for you..otherwise your employer might be able to get it sorted via fasttrack route.

You also need id/ an address to set up a bank account..and i think you have to have a minimal amount of money to avoid paying charges.
    so id say finding a place would be the most important to get your number/ bank account.
    Im moving to Leeds in a few weeks..what part are you moving to?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭jimmyneo1

Don't know where you're moving to but the first thing you need to do is find a house/apartment to live in. Getting your bank account set up and you're national insurance number will be a lot easier with this in place. If i were you I'd avoid HSBC bank and go with Barclays or Natwest or someone else when setting up an account. Been living in London for almost four years and bank HSBC, they seem to continually screw me over with their incompetence.

Anyway hope the job and everything else works out, workwise things aren't great here but def better than home. Been noticing a lot of people moving over in the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Rex Manning

RBS are fairly ok for setting up a bank account, but all banks need a proof of address. once you get a job, ask them to send you a letter so you have your proof of address.

National insurance number is no biggie - they'll give you a temporary one to begin with (you'll be on emergency tax for a bit while you're getting it sorted)

Gumtree is a handy site for finding accomodation - most accomodation agencies tend to try and fleece you with registration fees and credit checks and the like. Gumtree tends to be used by private landlords so you can avoid the agencies.

Best of luck once you get here! If there's anything else you think i can help with let me know (I'm in Edinburgh)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Gumtree is a handy site for finding accomodation - most accomodation agencies tend to try and fleece you with registration fees and credit checks and the like. Gumtree tends to be used by private landlords so you can avoid the agencies.

Yup Gumtree is very good. There are links to local gumtree websites from the main gumtree website (e.g. Cambridge gumtree, Leeds gumtree etc.).

Another reason to avoid agencies is that they generally demand up to three months rent in advance and a 1 month deposit if you are coming from another country (or at least in the Cambridge area 5 years ago they did!).

Feel free to post queries on boards.org.uk as well, most of us there have moved over from Ireland.

If you are going to be travelling between Ireland and England a few times a year you could consider opening an account with Nationwide Building Society, their ATM cards can be used throughout Europe with no charges :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Moving Company

If your moving your Household as well, I would recommend you try Oman/Nat Ross Moving & Storage, they have offices in Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Belfast. Supply a really good service at a reasonable price adn very professional. Have a look at their website www.oman.ie or you could email graham.beazley@oman.ie They deal with privtae moves as well as Corporate company paid moves. Good Luck with the move !

• Advertisement
Advertisement