Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugot 406 - 1999 - yay or nay?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭

Hey,

Just need a cheap and, relatively, reliable car for the next 6 months to get me to work and back. Looked at a LOT of cars today but found a 1999 406 for e1350.

NCT'd to end of next year, running grand, 97k on the clock.

Garage owner said he'd take my Megane in p/ex for it - maybe give me 300 - 400 off price of Peugeot (my car is in bits!).

Anyone drive a 406?

My mate told me that they have dodgy gearboxes and they are a French car after all - I know all about Renaults! :(

Thoughts?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I had a 1996 Peugeot 406 2.0 for a few years and loved it. It did have an electrical problem that was a bit of a nightmare to get sorted, but in retrospect I think I brought it to the wrong place to get fixed. They're very comfortable and very easy to drive fast on poor roads. I ended up selling it to a friend who put another 30,000 miles on it without incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭silverwex

Thanks Anan, have you heard of anyone else having success with one?

Also, one thing, when we took her for a test spin today, the speedometer didnt work. We wondered if the garage did this by purpose... (less mileage on clock). The interior and exterior of this car was immaculate. Almost like brand new.

No stories about dodgy gearboxes?

Funny you should say that, the speedo on mine went when my friend had it. Turned out to be the speed sensor, which is mounted on the gearbox - a cheap fix. The rest of the gearbox was fine. I don't really know much about them other than my own experiences, i'm afraid. I'd be looking for a service history and proof that the cambelt was changed, but that's true of any car.

Thanks for that. Ill get the mechanic to take a look! :)

PS - Timing belt = cam belt right?

Was changed at 50k.

Meant to be changed every 60k I believe which leaves me with another 10k miles. Only put 5 k on my Megane in 1.5 years so that shouldnt be a problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

the folks always had peugeot 406/407. they trade in every 3 years. no major problems with any of them. they were all diesel though. super comfortable and rockets

• Advertisement

Yeah hear the diesel ones are great - a mate told em a story about seeing one that was a taxi with 497k miles on it and still running fine!!!

This is the petrol one though... thoughts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭GERMAN ROCKS

no real expierence there but it would probably be as reliable if not more reliable. the only thing is that it could be heavy on petrol as its a heavy car. is it the newer type or old type just out of curiosity. i much rather the newer type

This is the one: http://foto.autozone.be/fotosauto/PEU/web450x300/Peugeot-406_6876024.jpg

So you reckon if the mechanic says it seems ok I should go for it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

For this kinda layout, you'll be ok if you get the tbelt done in the deal and ensure the suspension and brakes are aok all round. however, a diesel engined 406 is a powerplant than a petrol one.

Good car these in the hdi. Nowt to be afaid of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭JackFrosty

Had a 97 diesel 406, it was an ex taxi in carlow when i bought it with 300,000 on clock, never gave any trouble in the 6 months i had it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

I think the 406 is probably the best looking family car ever built.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

maidhc wrote: »

And it was in one of the best car chases too :D:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Max_Damage wrote: »
    And it was in one of the best car chases too :D:

... and makes a better Taxi than a Carina any day:

Oh, another thing, we went for a spin which lasted about 5 miles and the clock never changed! Would this be because the speedometer wasnt working?

maidhc wrote: »
    Me too, it's beautifully proportioned from all angles. That and the original Alfa 156 are the two best-looking saloons of recent times, IMO.

silverwex wrote: »
    Oh, another thing, we went for a spin which lasted about 5 miles and the clock never changed! Would this be because the speedometer wasnt working?
    Yes, no signal from the speed sensor means the speedo doesn't know the car's moving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

Peugeot 406 with 6 cd changer is the best car ever

Thanks guys, you've been a great help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,461 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sound cars, even the petrols. One of the few French cars of recent times that have quite a good reputation for reliability! My father-in-law had several of them and he only had some minor electrical problems
    For this kinda layout, you'll be ok if you get the tbelt done in the deal

On a €1k car? I doubt the dealer would agree to that, but maybe he could do it for a reduced fee. The belt would be a bit of a worry alright but you could contemplate just risking it with such a low mileage. Worst that can happen is? Exactly...

Yeah, as I said I only need it for a few months. And Ive only done 5k on my Megane in 1.5 years!! Work is only 3 mins away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I have a 96 406 t.d. (1905) which has covered 202000 mls and is running like new,It has its original clutch...:eek:
    All that goes on them is the drop links on the rear suspention other than
    that just change he oil/filter and and keep diesel in it..I get around 45-49 mpg.
    if its a 1.8 petrol i'd say you will get mid to late 30's.
    The diesels are a very good reiable engine not to sure about the petrols.
    But if its at the right price.....;)
    Got a 407 1.6 hdi diesel aswell which has lots of poke for a 1.6 but
    i'd rather hope into my 406 anyday as the ride/comfort is very smooth..:D

Yeaaaah! I noticed the car drove so well. Was super quiet and the car didnt make any bad noises or anything. Seems to be in good nick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Yep, as i say mine has covered over 200k and it's driving like new.
    if you want to check the rear drop links just grab the top of the rear tyres and pull/push asfast as you can and if you feel a rattle the need to be replaced..:rolleyes:
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/FRONT-DROP-LINK-PEUGEOT-406-1-8-2-0-TD-2-2TD-3-0-V6-99_W0QQitemZ150292433399QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item150292433399&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
    Best of luck with your purchase...:D

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

Row wrote: »
    I have a 96 406 t.d. (1905) which has covered 202000 mls and is running like new,It has its original clutch...:eek:
    All that goes on them is the drop links on the rear suspention other than
    that just change he oil/filter and and keep diesel in it..I get around 45-49 mpg.
    if its a 1.8 petrol i'd say you will get mid to late 30's.
    The diesels are a very good reiable engine not to sure about the petrols.
    But if its at the right price.....;)

I put 60,000 miles on my 98 406 td with no issues except the above mentioned drop links, went through a set every 9 months. lovely car to drive and look great too!

How often should the timing belt be changed on these?

Just read an article and it said every 30k!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

cant say for sure, got mine done after 55k. I doubt its 30k though

I bought mine at 62k and changed the belt (for the first time) immediately. I'd have checked the interval at the time, so i'm assuming it's 60k/5 yrs, for the 2.0 petrol at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Belts normally only have a lifespan of 60k or thereabouts. If in doubt get the belt done. AFAIK Pugs are interference desings. If it was a non interference design I wouldn't get worried about it because if the belt goes the engine just stops, you fit a new belt and that's it. If it goes in an interference engine then when it goes the engine is fubared.

At €1300, even with a couple of faults like no speedo if she's steering well, the gearbox is OK(Peugeots have a rep for crappy gearboxes so I wouldn't be getting my hopes up for good shift quality or anything like that) and the engine sounds healthy and isn't reluctant to rev then you can't complain really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

unkel wrote: »
    On a €1k car? I doubt the dealer would agree to that, but maybe he could do it for a reduced fee

Sure, but if you don't ask, ya don't.........:p

Advertisement