Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Diouf spitting

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

mayordenis wrote:
    do you think any celtic fan in the area was going to say yeah he got all kinds of abuse?? the bias is unbelieveable

It might come as a surprise to you, but I believe what some of my friends tell me about the incident who witnessed it over some anonymous person on an internet forum who is making guesses. I think you and everybody else would do the same.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The Muppet wrote:
    Why should we listen to you? What are your credentials? The pundits on MOTD are all exprofessionals who have played the game at the highest level they know what they are talking about.

what makes there opinions of something "skumbagish" better or worse than anyone else's granted there opinion on football are top class :/ but as i said they are not some sort of social hero's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

mayordenis wrote:
    what makes there opinions of something "skumbagish" better or worse than anyone else's granted there opinion on football are top class :/ but as i said they are not some sort of social hero's

They were not commenting on social issues , they were discuusing an incident in a football game which they are eminently qualified to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

I couldn't care less what the circumstances were, what Diouf did was disgusting. I personally hope he never puts on a red shirt ever again. I never rated him anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

mayordenis wrote:
    And in relation to the panel on MOTD why?? why would you listen to them at all?? they are not a bloody social front they are a bunch of ex-pro's who played in a different time.

Since when is Alan Shearer an "ex-pro who played in a different time" ???

What Diouf did against Pompey is appalling, one of the lowest incidents I've seen in recent years. The fact that it was completely unprovoked just makes it worse. Diouf should be given a good long ban by the FA, and told to f*ck off by Bolton, Liverpool and the Premier League in general.

To spit, from 2 feet away, into someones face is disgusting. To do it on three occasions is unspeakably low:

vs Celtic
    vs Middlesbrough
    vs Portsmouth

I, for one, hope I never see this waste-of-space on a football pitch again.

PS - As Alan Shearer said, Arjan de Zeeuw deserves a medal for not lashing out at him. I know I would have, regardless of whether I was playing for Portsmouth (god forbid, Saint til I die) or Bolton.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭enda_4

In fairness u think you have to pay complements to d portsmouth player, anyone else would have nutted him, that was just pure scummy. Deserves a good ban 4 it, especially the fact that he has done it before.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Problem is he or his agent keep coming out with the same apologies every time he's in trouble and then he just goes and spits or dives again a week later. You'd think he would have grown up and learnt by now that some of the things he does are not acceptable and he should rightly be punished for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Look like he is facing a 3 match ban, serves him right, I hope never to see him in a pool shirt again, he can leave on a free for all i'd care
    Players' chief Gordon Taylor has called for a sense of perspective to be applied to El-Hadji Diouf's latest spitting offence, insisting the player "has not committed murder".

The Bolton striker has been charged with misconduct by the Football Association and faces a three-match ban if he is found guilty. Taylor said counselling rather than excessive punishment is the way forward for Diouf, who was caught on camera spitting at Portsmouth captain Arjan de Zeeuw during Saturday's Barclays Premiership match.

It is not the first time the Senegal international - who has already been fined two weeks' wages by his club - has been involved in spitting incidents. And Taylor said that while he deplored Diouf's latest misbehaviour, the way forward was to work with the player towards preventing the same thing reoccurring.

Taylor said: "The FA have seen something they don't want to happen so they can't very well ignore it. But they have to take into account that he has apologised and received a sanction from Bolton already.

"He has not committed murder, but he has done something unacceptable within the disciplinary code, and he has taken the first step in apologising."

Diouf was fined £5,000 at Glasgow Sheriff Court in March 2003 after spitting at a Celtic fan during a UEFA Cup game for Liverpool. He has subsequently been the subject of further similar allegations, including an unproven case at Middlesbrough earlier this season.

But because his offence against Celtic was committed in a match outside the FA's jurisdiction, they are powerless to take it into account when deciding Diouf's latest possible punishment. Instead if they find him guilty they are bound to ban Diouf for the maximum three matches as required by their regulations for a misconduct offence.

Taylor added: "It is something that has happened before and it may well happen again. You don't want it to happen just like you don't want racist abuse or over-the-top tackling which can threaten a career.

"It is unacceptable. Like it or not, players are role models and this is a bad example."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

eh, patting someone on top of the head is violence. Its assualt
    Assault is defined as an act that causes bodily harm or unlawfully threatening to do so. A pat on the head does no damahe so really cant be seen as assault.
    If it was we'd see people suing everybody for walking into them, touching them while sitting down beside them or what not.

Assault is a serious thing but saying that any kind of contact is assault is unbelievably stupid.
    If the fan had hammered is head then id agree but a light patting isnt assault.

Once ok, it was a mistake and possibly caused by something. Twice and you start to wonder. Three times and there is just no excuse. He should have book thrown at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

3 match ban and apparently some sort of counciling is being considered for him.
    5+ match ban imo seeing as its a repeated offence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Spitting on an opponent is the lowest act you can commit on a player in my mind!
    Im a liverpool supporter and if i was to see diouf put on the shirt again i would not watch there games until he has left!
    I can't understand how anyone can even begin to defend his actions,his own team mates at bolton even critisized him for it!
    I honestly believe bolton should have termonated his contract for his actions.
    Lastly from playing soccer, hurling and gaelic football for years taken numerous knocks breakin many a bone pulling many a muscle i can honestly say with hand on heart id take them all again than getting spat on by a scumbag on a pitch!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm amazed nobody has lamped the fúcker yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Its the lowest of the low. I spat on a guy playing ball one day by accident (one of those windy days) and spent most of the game apologising for it, trying to convince him I didn't mean it !!!! because its sooo low.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Just stating my oppinions here.

Whoop-de-doo, he spat at someone, I think De Zeeuw's stamp was FAR worse that a bit of saliva, which is after all only " clear liquid secreted into the mouth by the salivary glands and mucous glands of the mouth; moistens the mouth and starts the digestion of starches " unless the poor little dutch man is made of potatoes he doesnt really have much to worry about.

second of all, Diouf is a very good player, he has been playing great for bolton, and anyone who says otherwise is either (a) an idiot or (b) hasn't watch a bolton game all season, for liver pool he played 86(?) times and something like 75 of those were on the wing, WTF? if Man Yoo played horse face on the wing he wouldn't even get a sniff of the ball, this lad gets played out of posistion, does a decaint job and get blasted for it, you lot are the height of inteligence as far as footballing goes, oh yes.

And last of all, the lad has/had a few mental problems, ffs at the age of 19 he moved to europe from poverty none of us will ever even see never mind live in to a team who payed him stupid money to play a game he loved, being told he was the best thing since sliced bread everyday and then bening hyped up by the media, if every now and then he acts a like a child, what do you expect, he has never had a chance to grow up, and he's not the only player in football with that problem, look at cassano at Roma, amazingly gifted player, a lot of problems, and there a hundreds of other examples around europe.

Anyway, all he did was spit on someone after he'd was almost sl;iced in 2 with a tackle, like Taylor said "he didnt commit murder".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Seaneh wrote:
    Just stating my oppinions here.

Whoop-de-doo, he spat at someone, I think De Zeeuw's stamp was FAR worse that a bit of saliva, which is after all only " clear liquid secreted into the mouth by the salivary glands and mucous glands of the mouth; moistens the mouth and starts the digestion of starches " unless the poor little dutch man is made of potatoes he doesnt really have much to worry about.

second of all, Diouf is a very good player, he has been playing great for bolton, and anyone who says otherwise is either (a) an idiot or (b) hasn't watch a bolton game all season, for liver pool he played 86(?) times and something like 75 of those were on the wing, WTF? if Man Yoo played horse face on the wing he wouldn't even get a sniff of the ball, this lad gets played out of posistion, does a decaint job and get blasted for it, you lot are the height of inteligence as far as footballing goes, oh yes.

And last of all, the lad has/had a few mental problems, ffs at the age of 19 he moved to europe from poverty none of us will ever even see never mind live in to a team who payed him stupid money to play a game he loved, being told he was the best thing since sliced bread everyday and then bening hyped up by the media, if every now and then he acts a like a child, what do you expect, he has never had a chance to grow up, and he's not the only player in football with that problem, look at cassano at Roma, amazingly gifted player, a lot of problems, and there a hundreds of other examples around europe.

Anyway, all he did was spit on someone after he'd was almost sl;iced in 2 with a tackle, like Taylor said "he didnt commit murder".

this is a joke right?

sliced in two, you mean the same way vieria was sliced in two by hamanns "tackle" last sunday?

• Advertisement
Advertisement