Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VRT

• 29-12-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

This is probably a really stupid question, but we just bought a car in the north, and I'm wondering if I register it in Sligo will I have an SO reg? WE bought in Enniskillen and Sligo would be handier for us rather than going to Lifford, since we're from the south west.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Trubertq wrote: »
    This is probably a really stupid question, but we just bought a car in the north, and I'm wondering if I register it in Sligo will I have an SO reg? WE bought in Enniskillen and Sligo would be handier for us rather than going to Lifford, since we're from the south west.

From experience the way it works is whatever address you decide to register the car in your name is where it gets registered regardless of where you actually decide to VRT it. You can register it at the Lifford or Sligo VRT office and both will give an SO number plate once that's your registered address you want for the car. So if your address is Sligo it will have a SO address, it simply goes onto the end of the last registered car of the year of manufacture of your car so say the last registered car of 2002 in Sligo is 02- SO-1000, yours will be 02-SO-1001.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭donegalman1

You'll need your rsi number or whatever its called now. They will assign your reg to your county of address, ie if you are from Sligo you'll get Sligo no matter where you bring it across.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

That's great I'd rather a DL reg, our address is Donegal so that's spot on. Many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,196 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Trubertq wrote: »
    That's great I'd rather a DL reg
    Cant say Id blame you for that :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Hi Tubertq,

What do you think of the current values the revenue are putting on cars i.e. the open market selling price. I think its grossly high.
    I am looking to take a Mazda 6 accross... I can see them in the north for around 5500stg around €6000. The revenue have decided that this car has an open market selling value of 18500 so the VRT works out at almost 4000 - its grotesque.
    That said it would still work out much cheaper to take it accross than buy here... Its just another example of being ripped off in this country though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

I think that the OMSP s are away off especially in the current climate. I brought the Jetta in for under €14000, and it is a fairly hi spec car. The OMSP was €19000 but from the research I did, albeit on the web the average price for an 07 Jetta was around €16-€17K. There was a guy on RTE last week who reckoned even the web site prices are inflated and there are deals to be done on fore courts.In the end I am happy with the deal I got but I only had to go to Enniskillen and therefore hadn't much hassle with the whole thing.The VRT and all that is simple once you have the money to pay it!!! Hope all goes well for you.

Happy New Year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

If you can show that the OMSP is too high (via quotes from garages etc) then you can appeal the VRT. This process is supposed to have a fairly high success rate. You can request the appropriate forms from the VRT office.

PS: The Mazda 6 has relatively high CO2 emmissions and therefore the VRT % applied is higher. 25% I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 madalig

office has closed in lifford and is now in donegal town, that's not far for inishowen people to travel

Advertisement