Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming cold, Will it - wont it - snow early Jan?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Well guys what do you think? Will it snow soon?

I for one know squat about models, runs etc and I hate to go off topiic in the model outlook... but I love reading about it even though 9 out of 10 times I get my hopes dashed.

My guess is, we will see snow in the next 10 days but not as much as we hoped and I base that opinion on pure guessing

Will it snow in the next 10 days 52 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    36% 19 votes
    Maybe
    48% 25 votes
    Dont really care
    15% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Hi David, according to your presentation we are guaranteed a snow day! 9/10 fail, 1/10 succeed, with 10 days, at least one has to have snow so! :P :P :P

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

Danno wrote: »
    Hi David, according to your presentation we are guaranteed a snow day! 9/10 fail, 1/10 succeed, with 10 days, at least one has to have snow so! :P :P :P

You would think!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

daviddwyer wrote: »
    I base that opinion on pure guessing

Do you work for RTE?:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

With the current model runs in reliable timeframe, no. In FI it's possible
    Pressure too high even if wind is screaming easterly or northerly.

After each run i will post my thoughts here if snow is possible from GFS and ECM outputs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I dont think we will, everything keeps getting put back, and put back and put back, were forever playing the waiting game:) Hopefully shud see a few flakes before winters over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I'm going for a yes for here, lower down..mwahahah

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Yes..........................

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭homersimpson

Yes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭forkassed

Guaranteed....on january 5th/6th:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I don't think it will where I live we rarely get snow, maybe other parts of the country will get some.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I believe we will have a snow 'event' (how much and where is another question) by mid-Junuary (so maybe not within the 10 days of the poll).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not a cat in hells chance (any chance that FI could be banned as its a nonsense term that confuses newbies who belive it has some scientific basis in reality?)

Thread title changed a tad to reflect on the chance of snow? from next weekend on. Post in this thread if you find something that looks worthwhile in your findings. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭snowfan

Sorry to say David but going on the latest models, its looks like any chance of snow is rapidly reducing. Due to get colder this weekend but hard to say what will happen after that with any accuracy

I still live in hope and pray we don't have a mild January! :mad:

SF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I hope so because its a bloody long time coming!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

With good reason February has come to be my favourite month of the year. So if January does not relieve us of our suffering, I'm confident we'll at least get an arctic blast, that brings a day or two of moderate accumulations to most parts of the country, a couple of times during February.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think this winter will be like all the others over past few years, we shud see a few short lived cold spells mainly from the north-west delivering showers to the western and northern areas. If we get really lucky hopefully we'll get some easterly snow. Thankfully the other tread got closed as it was building some peoples hopes up for no reason, FI Stuff is mainly junk it swings from one thing to another a few times a day. We've seen charts within the 24 to 72 hour timeline go completely pear shaped many times over recent winters, stuff thats 2 weeks out showing snow and cold snaps is pointless! other than wishfull thinking. Ireland is propably the most marginal snow event country in Europe (even Greece gets better winters than us).

Gonzo wrote: »
    I think this winter will be like all the others over past few years, we shud see a few short lived cold spells mainly from the north-west delivering showers to the western and northern areas. If we get really lucky hopefully we'll get some easterly snow. Thankfully the other tread got closed as it was building some peoples hopes up for no reason, FI Stuff is mainly junk it swings from one thing to another a few times a day. We've seen charts within the 24 to 72 hour timeline go completely pear shaped many times over recent winters, stuff thats 2 weeks out showing snow and cold snaps is pointless! other than wishfull thinking. Ireland is propably the most marginal snow event country in Europe (even Greece gets better winters than us).

Well said Gonzo! However I would not agree with Ireland being the most marginal snow event county in Europe - that title would have to go to Portugal! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

mike65 wrote: »
    Not a cat in hells chance (any chance that FI could be banned as its a nonsense term that confuses newbies who belive it has some scientific basis in reality?)
    whats FI mean?

snowfan wrote: »
    Well said Gonzo! However I would not agree with Ireland being the most marginal snow event county in Europe - that title would have to go to Portugal! :)

lol forgot about Portugal, ok were the second most marginal snow event country in Europe:)

despite that im sure at some stage most of us shud hopefully see an inch or 2 of lying snow before winters over.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    lol forgot about Portugal, ok were the second most marginal snow event country in Europe:)

despite that im sure at some stage most of us shud hopefully see an inch or 2 of lying snow before winters over.

I live in hope Gonzo, I really do

However it seems as each year passes, the chance of some decent snow recedes.....I am starting to lose hope :mad:

I know its a US based service, however CNN is forecasting sleet for Dublin on the 5/01/09

http://weather.cnn.com/weather/forecast.jsp?celcius=true&locCode=EIDW&zipCode=336562986788

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I know its a US based service, however CNN is forecasting sleet for Dublin on the 5/01/09

Oh no it's not!

I get the impression that, most of the time, weather forecasters are even more wrong then astrologers :D

Does anyone keep a record of how accurate all these runs really are? Surely the only run that's even slightly close to the truth is the one that comes 6 hours before the weather hits?

If there's 6 feet of snow, an MCS and a hurricane next week then I take it all back. In the meantime... ;)

Confab wrote: »
    Oh no it's not!

I get the impression that, most of the time, weather forecasters are even more wrong then astrologers :D

Does anyone keep a record of how accurate all these runs really are? Surely the only run that's even slightly close to the truth is the one that comes 6 hours before the weather hits?

If there's 6 feet of snow, an MCS and a hurricane next week then I take it all back. In the meantime... ;)

Fair point Confab

And I have just read on another thread that its likely that the current "cool" period we are experiencing is due to be broken up soon by Atlantic weather fronts....still there is always Feb and March !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Don't get me wrong, I really do love bad weather, and I love this forum. But some of the FI stuff is a bit like walking into a strip club - you can look but you can't touch. Fair play though, Snowbie and the gang have cracked down on the FI and hopefully we'll get some realistic stuff. I look forward to snow but I'll have to move to Canada to see it, and similarly with thunderstorms. Thankfully I'm off to Australia for a year in June, so at least the TS wish will be granted :D

Based on the outputs from the 12z GFS and ECM, the likelyhood of even a very cold snap let alone any snow is starting to look remote. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

conceited wrote: »
    whats FI mean?

arctictree wrote: »
    FI is Fantasy Island - used for discussing charts more than 6 or 7 days away.

A

Check out this thread.Some links contained within. I only learnt what FI meant while reading that thread the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭daviddwyer

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Do you work for RTE?:D:D

I'm not bad at the uald guessing... so who knows might send my cv in!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Im scared to go into the outlook forum ,lol , the only person going off topic in there is Snowbie ,anyways I seen on bbc forecast for london that its gona be cold for next few days, on sunday temps will be 0 during the day .

• Advertisement

Pangea wrote: »
    Im scared to go into the outlook forum ,lol , the only person going off topic in there is Snowbie ,anyways .
    What's all that about?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement