Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

tigra problems

Options
  • 29-12-2008 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭

Hi

Looking for advice on a few things.

1. When i turn on full lights when driving the engine management sign flashes on and speedometer turns off then back on.

2. when accelrating the car is very slow to pick up and is not overheating.

any help would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

deco28 wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for advice on a few things.

1. When i turn on full lights when driving the engine management sign flashes on and speedometer turns off then back on.

2. when accelrating the car is very slow to pick up and is not overheating.

any help would be great.

What year / engine is in it?

Does symptom #1 above happen consistently? or does it only happen some of the time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭deco28

97 tigra and not all the time when full lights go on and it breaks acceleration when it happens as well.

any help today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

OP are these 2 separate problems or does problem (2) you've identified, only occur after you turn on the headlights and you then see problems (1)???

When you are driving without headlamps on and before the problem with the ECU light and the speedometer starts, is the car driving normally then???

2 separate probs engine is sluggish to speed up at the moment im going to give it a complete service but the lights has only happenned recently when i turn on full lights the car stutters andn speedo slows down and the orange light just flashes on then off

• Advertisement

Problem #1 sounds like an electrical problem, possibly the ground connection/lead from the battery... check the engine ground strap and the positive connection to the alternator also...

After sorting out #1 then tackle the engine being sluggish, you may need the help of a code reader for this one...

well im thinking that the battery really needs a change as its been a while and 2 will flush engine and change everything and see what happens would this help?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

well im thinking that the battery really needs a change as its been a while and 2 will flush engine and change everything and see what happens would this help?

Check the egr valve

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

I'd agree on the egr valve.
    these engines give egr problems all the time( around that age)

is it possible to change this myself or is it to big a job?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭frag4

well you need to plug into a computer to find out.
    stay away from a main dealer and use a good indy for a car this age.

Got it done a few year ago 1.4 tirga for the girfriend I think it was around €400.
    Never seen such a car to give problems.
    She bought 2.....icon11.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Most mechanics don't see too many Tigra's because they are rare enough. Having said that, it shouldn't be a big deal to diagnose one. I keep getting this car confused with the Ford Puma... OP, get it hooked up and diagnosed.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    Most mechanics don't see too many Tigra's because they are rare enough. Having said that, it shouldn't be a big deal to diagnose one. I keep getting this car confused with the Ford Puma... OP, get it hooked up and diagnosed.

Is it not the same as the corsa?? i thought it was, but maybe i'm wrong, i can't imagine that opel would engineer a specific car from scratch for such a small market.

dilbert is right it is a sporty corsa. Just asking to see if the head gasket would cause accelerating problems or cause the car to be sluggish. Although i dont have the usual signs im just checking.

dilbert is right it is a sporty corsa. Just asking to see if the head gasket would cause accelerating problems or cause the car to be sluggish. Although i dont have the usual signs im just checking.

It might cause a miss-fire, but its highly unlikely.... If you had enough water getting into the combustion chamber to cause the missfire, you'd have large amounts of steam coming out the exhaust.... with a HG failure you'd have lots of other sympthoms too ( over heating, coolant loss, oil in coolant ect... )

There's loads of things that can cause sluggish performance, even something as simple as a vacuum leak / un-metered air. I would sort out your #1 problem first....

Advertisement