Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MINI - a (straight) man's automobile?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭

Without giving it a second thought I always considered the new Mini a girls or a hairdressers car, that was until a mate of mine bought one. He told me he bought it about it about a week before he collected it from the UK. For that week I amused myself by making up various insults and derogatory remarks about the mini and my friend's sexuality. I even went as far to buy a big plastic sunflower I saw in Woodies, for the car of course.

He arrived at my house today to show off the car. It's a Cooper S Chilli, and I have to admit it's a stunner! It's grey with a black roof and black mirrors and there is a nice set of OEM wheels on it powdercoated black. He threw me the keys and we went for a little spin. Even thought it's only a 1.6 it's very quick, impressively quick. The handling is sublime and whine of the supercharger is nice too.

The only thing that didn't impress me was the interior, in particular the speedometer and the tach. I just found them very 'Fisher Price', a little big a plastic for my liking. Other than that I have to admit that my opinion about the Mini has been totally changed. I would now consider buying one.

So what do you think. Can a man really drive a Mini?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭pvt.joker

girls car.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    So what do you think. Can a man really drive a Mini?

Of course he can, assuming its his wifes car and his is in the garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Aedan

He might get away with it if it was a cooper S, if not no way!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

A real man could, an insecure man would probably be too scared.

at the end of this drive, did he make advances on you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

For that week I amused myself by making up various insults and derogatory remarks about the mini and my friend's sexuality. I even went as far to buy a big plastic sunflower I saw in Woodies, for the car of course.

You sound like quite the asshole. :p
    A youngish guy could pull off driving a Mini or Smart. Similary I drove a [New] Beetle for a while, a 2.3Litre V5 Blue one with white strips. Occasionally got slagged, but the Beetle is bigger and chunkier than the Mini and had a ridiculous roar out of the 5 cylinder NA engine.

I wouldnt drive a Mini though, personally, its just way too small with no road presense.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

at the end of this drive, did he make advances on you?

I was prepared for that and had donned extra brute (aka anti gay spray).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Anan1 wrote: »
    A real man could, an insecure man would probably be too scared.

You could say the same thing about wearing lipstick. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

I was prepared for that and had donned extra brute (aka anti gay spray).
    Brut?...naw...'Old Spice'.

New Mini = car for the 'artistic'.

Original mini + oil & grease on your hands, because you've just had bits of the engine out on the kitchen table = straight as a Nenagh Garda's speed laser.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,998 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd find a MINI - any MINI - too girly.. those on here who know me will know why thats a bit ironic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Take your insecurities to PI :D

I'm sick of these stupid threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement