Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engagement Party Venue?

Options
  • 29-12-2008 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm about to propose to my very beautiful girlfriend, and I'm planning an engagement party in my home city of Limerick to celebrate with family and friends. Of course I'm presuming that she'll say yes!

My friend has suggested 3 venues - Scotts, the Strand Hotel, and the new George Boutique Hotel. As I wont be in Limerick until the planned party, I wont have a chance to check these out for myself. The only one that I'm familiar with is Scotts, which I do like.

Any comments on these 3 proposed venues? How suitable would they be for a party of 40-50 people of mixed ages. I want somewhere comfortable where people can move around and chat, and I'd need some nice finger food to be provided. As I might like to take some photos, the setting is important too. I like the thought of the Strand Hotel riverside setting. And also the contemporary interiors of the new George could be good too.

Has anyone has parties here, any comments or tips?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Would recommend Upstairs in Dolans, comfortable, private bar, own smoking area with heaters, and closed off to the general public. went to a wedding party there a few months ago and had a great night. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

You can get one of the side bars in Clohessys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

We had ours in the George bar and it was excellent,
    staff were great, finger food was perfect and everybody enjoyed themselves!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 limerick40

leonardjos wrote: »
    I'm about to propose to my very beautiful girlfriend, and I'm planning an engagement party in my home city of Limerick to celebrate with family and friends. Of course I'm presuming that she'll say yes!

My friend has suggested 3 venues - Scotts, the Strand Hotel, and the new George Boutique Hotel. As I wont be in Limerick until the planned party, I wont have a chance to check these out for myself. The only one that I'm familiar with is Scotts, which I do like.

Any comments on these 3 proposed venues? How suitable would they be for a party of 40-50 people of mixed ages. I want somewhere comfortable where people can move around and chat, and I'd need some nice finger food to be provided. As I might like to take some photos, the setting is important too. I like the thought of the Strand Hotel riverside setting. And also the contemporary interiors of the new George could be good too.

Has anyone has parties here, any comments or tips?!

Would definitely recommend the City View Suite on the 6th floor of The Strand Hotel had my 40th birthday there in November and 3 other people have since booked there parties there amazing views of the city full bar and a great balocny area.
    Flexible menu options and they even did a very good deal for us to stay overnight again like yourself there was a mixed age group at the party and everyone raved about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 568 ✭✭✭TheLoc

Yea I'd say the Strand or the George would be the better option. A hotel is always going to be better for that kind of stuff. nice, fancy and people waiting and bringing you food and drink. the right job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 whataboutya

Congrats!!

The clarion is fab i was at a friends 30th in august and it was really beautiful lovely canapes salmon mousses, vol au vonts etc and soft music , the george is beautiful but i always find it a bit devoid of atmosphere. I was at an two engagement parties recently one in the VIP section of angel lane it was ok but most of the party drifted off after midnight as we werent able to talk or anything. the second one i was at was in the new place overhead the bank scarletts it was nice , good selection finger food, alot of wines to choose from great music and a nice crowd.

Somewhere like Chocolat on oconnell street maybe nice also .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Ashfield

Congrats!!

Somewhere like Chocolat on oconnell street maybe nice also .

Id second this, I was here over xmas and it was fantastic
    I meant to actually add it to the restaurant list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭leonardjos

Just an update on this thread - I decided that I wanted to go with the Strand. I go a friend of mine to go and check out the suite with the view there, and he said it was class.

But when I contacted them by phone and by email, I was very surprised at the prices being charged. For 1 glass of sparkling wine (not champagne) per guest, basic finger food rations, and rental of the suite it was working out at over a grand! When i tried to negotiate closer to the 700 mark, she was having none of it! I dont know how she expected to charge these prices to the non-corporate sector.

So eventually we had the party in my parent's house, which luckily is quite spacious and ideal for such a party. Everybody got at least 2 glasses of actual champagne, and there was no shortage of wine and beer for the night. The party kept going till all hours, and everyone had a great time. We prepared some finger food, and ordered cocktail sausages and chicken goujons from the local chipper. I had a DVD slideshows of our photos together with nice party music playing in the background.

Bottom line - it was better than any party in a hotel and for half the price all 40 guests never had to put their hand in their pocket all night long.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Saved the money for the strippers at the stag party,good lad :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭mark1974

Bit of a pointless thread then really:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 951 ✭✭✭tomcollins97

leonardjos wrote: »
    We prepared some finger food, and ordered cocktail sausages and chicken goujons from the local chipper.

Classy!!! Bit of a move from wanting something top notch in a hotel!!!

Advertisement