Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sister repeating Irish and maths

Options
  • 29-12-2008 11:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭

My sister is heading back next year to repeat Irish and maths. Is going to Dr.Bob for maths as I hear he's the best, how about Irish though? She needs really good grades in both to get where she wants to be, just didn't have the drive when she was younger. Is based in Galway at the moment but would travel for a good teacher or lecturer. Money not a huge issue. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

my gf is a fluent speaker,did irish in college,and would give grinds...but if not if u go to conradh na gaelige im sure they hav resources avail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭yourmano

Thanks a million for that but I doubt she'd go to someone who wasn't a teacher, unless she went to your teacher just for the Oral part. Looking through ratemyteacher with her now picking out teachers who score well and am going to ring the schools next week. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,959 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Isn't it horribly unethical for someone who's receiving a full-time salary as a teacher to be taking on outside students for grinds? As in, shouldn't all their working energies be put into the students they're being paid to teach?

... hang on, thinking some more ... do you mean the schools that exist purely to give grinds? that would make a lot more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

yourmano wrote: »
    My sister is heading back next year to repeat Irish and maths. Is going to Dr.Bob for maths as I hear he's the best, how about Irish though? She needs really good grades in both to get where she wants to be, just didn't have the drive when she was younger. Is based in Galway at the moment but would travel for a good teacher or lecturer. Money not a huge issue. Cheers

ya bob is great. had him in college for my maths classes. got me interested in the classes.

JustMary, I don't agree. I don't know one teacher on full-time hours. Unfortunately I only know science and business teachers but they are all on terrible contracts of 10 or 12 hours which is a pittance to live off. So I'll gladly help my sister and pay whatever the going rate is and get the best of these teachers to get my sister where she wants to be.

As for Dr.Bob, legend, got an A1 in applied myself with him. However, the quest for Dr.Irish has not yet reached an end. Thanks all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

yourmano wrote: »
    JustMary, I don't agree. I don't know one teacher on full-time hours. Unfortunately I only know science and business teachers but they are all on terrible contracts of 10 or 12 hours which is a pittance to live off. So I'll gladly help my sister and pay whatever the going rate is and get the best of these teachers to get my sister where she wants to be.

As for Dr.Bob, legend, got an A1 in applied myself with him. However, the quest for Dr.Irish has not yet reached an end. Thanks all

regarding the Maths grinds, Br. Bob is good at teaching maths, but he knows how to get one thru LC Maths Examinations, NOT real maths, if she's going for an engineering or science degree, get out some first year engineering maths books!, LC Maths Lower and higher is just b u l I s.h_it! I got my points, thought i had maths clicked! but now i just struggle with the real thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭cheekay

bob was amazing..he got me my grades in maths.the irish teacher in the study centre is good if you hav good irish and are looking for ideas for essays and that but if she has ok irish but wants top grades yeats college give easter and xmas courses which really focus on certain topics and topical essays. I would really recommend attending samantha (yeats) courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Ha Ha Bob is the man, if he was shy and reserved he'd be like Russell Crowes character in a Beautiful mind...luckily he's not though..he's feckin nuts!, I enjoyed going to his classes just to see what he'd say...a ringtone going off and him looking off in the distance Awwwww Yes class!, Queen!, I went to see them play a show in London back in 82..They..were..brillant Class!..
    Saw him mentioned in the paper a while back for a tiff with a neighbour, I'd say that was interesting!!

Dr Bob is indeed a genius. Possibly the funniest and nicest lecturer anyone can hope for.

Currently have him as my main lecturer in GMIT and every class is just fantastic. He really gets invested in his students and wants them all to do fantastic.

Is this anything to do with the teacher she pulled in Deburgos?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

JustMary wrote: »
    Isn't it horribly unethical for someone who's receiving a full-time salary as a teacher to be taking on outside students for grinds? As in, shouldn't all their working energies be put into the students they're being paid to teach?

Why is it horribly un-ethical? Is it unethical if you work in an office but babysit at the weekends?

I lecture and I give grinds, my grinds don't take any time or energy away from the students I'm paid to teach, I do it in my own time, my leisure time, my spare time. How is that "horribly unethical"?

Who is this Dr. Bob you all speak of? He sounds legend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 DouglasWinthrow

what does she want to do?

becusae i know for some courses (HPAT medicine etc) it requires you obtain everything in ONE SITTING

so going back and repeating some subjects wont help you, make sure to check that out first?

dafunk wrote: »
    Why is it horribly un-ethical? Is it unethical if you work in an office but babysit at the weekends?

I lecture and I give grinds, my grinds don't take any time or energy away from the students I'm paid to teach, I do it in my own time, my leisure time, my spare time. How is that "horribly unethical"?

Who is this Dr. Bob you all speak of? He sounds legend.

Dr Bob is a lecturer in GMIT's computing section. He also gives grinds as well. His website is http://www.drbobmaths.com/ I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I'd advise your sister to try and get Irish grinds from a good leaving cert teacher or LC grinds school teacher rather than someone who is good at Irish or just a good teacher.

I'd say this because while helping a friend with Irish homework last year I noticed that while she's supposed to be reading really tough short stories in Irish from a course book,her teacher had given them handouts of each story condensed down to one page in simple Irish.She had these handouts for everything she was studying in Irish.The result was that she got a B2 in Hons Irish although her own standard of the language would not allow her pick up the course book and read it without hours of frustrating misunderstanding and flicking through dictionaries etc.She did work hard but those sheets made it much easier.Her teacher doesn't do grinds but good teachers often have these little tricks.

It's a bit of a cheats way I suppose but for alot of people an Irish grade is really just a passport onto unrelated things in college.

Oh and good luck to her! It really takes guts to go back and slog through the LC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

Dr Bob is legend,
    Got him in the GMIT, she should have no probs with maths

Maths going fab but has decided to give the Irish a skip for now, anyone know of any good courses on next year for just Irish, in the evening? No doubt with the amount of people going back to do their Leaving Higher Level Irish there should be quite a few...

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

mary seagrave is a top class irish teacher lives in knocknacarra has her own classroom .. makes you put in alot of work will not spoon feed you but she gives top quality notes .. a very good reputation pm me if you want her number

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

mary seagrave is a top class irish teacher lives in knocknacarra has her own classroom .. makes you put in alot of work will not spoon feed you but she gives top quality notes .. a very good reputation pm me if you want her number

I've heard of her alright. She eventually went with another teacher on a recommendation. So obvious she's not just in it for the cash, took her for two hours last week instead of one, same price. Hard to find someone who will do this these days. Fingers crossed.

Advertisement