Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Install ffmpeg

Options
  • 29-12-2008 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,
    I havent got a clue what this is all about so if you can give me some info that would be great.
    I have hosting with digiweb (buisness linux)€99
    I am also getting a site built at the moment but the developer tells me i need ffmpeg installed on the server,now this is the question do digiweb do this on request or does my developer do this and is my hosting good enough?:confused:

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

You could ask Digiweb to install it on the shared server and see what they say. Otherwise you may need to get a dedicated server... or at least a VPS account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 confidential

Thanks Ken,
    By the sound of your reply it does not seem to hopefull my man says he can install the script but is this allowed?
    Now i understand the dedicated sever but not the vps account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭The Mighty Ken

Thanks Ken,
    By the sound of your reply it does not seem to hopefull my man says he can install the script but is this allowed?
    Now i understand the dedicated sever but not the vps account?

Well if it's a shared server (I assume the €90 business account is) then you won't have root access to the server for installing applications, including ffmpeg. Provided it doesn't pose any security risks, the hosting company might be okay to install it on your server but they don't always!

A VPS is a shared server but you have root access to your own specific partition with its own operating system installation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 confidential

Thanks,
    Got you,so it depends on digiweb http://hosting.digiweb.ie/website-hosting/ the third option is the one i have.Now on the control panel of this,the server name is my site,does this make any difference or am i just doing your head in,sorry....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You should contact your provider's technical support team. They'll be able to tell you if it's installed or not and whether or not they can install it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Contact your host to find out if it is possible, and if it is your developer should be able to do the rest if needed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement