Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should i get a 360 (I have a ps3 already)

• 29-12-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭

Basically im an avid sony fan(:o) and have a ps1,ps2,ps3 and psp all lined up around my room along with some retro nintendo consoles etc and my pc. Im basically looking for an excuse to buy a 360(besides halo 3), what's so good about the 360? How easy is it to mod(Dont worry i never pirate games) and will it affect xbox live?
    Wheres the cheapest place to get a new 360

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭steve927

Basically im an avid sony fan(:o) and have a ps1,ps2,ps3 and psp all lined up around my room along with some retro nintendo consoles etc and my pc. Im basically looking for an excuse to buy a 360(besides halo 3), what's so good about the 360? How easy is it to mod(Dont worry i never pirate games) and will it affect xbox live?
    Wheres the cheapest place to get a new 360

Hmmm, i thinking of going the opposite way because of this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055202987 which i've just added to:mad:

Modding is easy, burning games and finding them is simple, shouldnt get banned from XBL if you stealth burn the games.

Xbox live gaming is great but obviously depends on the game.

Lots of choice for games.

Video downloads are good.

Game downloads are great for both Arcade & original xbox games.

One of the best features of the Xbox for me is the ability to download movies on my PC, stream them through the xbox or put them on a flash drive and watch them on my TV without having to convert them or do anything with them. Its so handy.

On the downside, its so noisy. Even though you can now install your games directly onto your hard drive from the disc and play them from there it still makes a terrible noise even though the disc aint spinning.

No Blu Ray

Xbox live subscription isnt free.

Hope this helps dude:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

What's good about the 306 besides halo?

Better & more Exclusive Tiltes such as Gears of war 1&2, Fable II, Mass Effect, Forza 2, Left 4 Dead and Project Gotham Racing 4

Although if your pc is decent enough for game both Left 4 Dead and Mass Effect are available.

PS3 has some good ones but not as many MSG4, Little big planet and Resistance 2 is about all.

Xbox live is by all accounts the best on-line community and also has a large library of downloadable content both games and movies but it's not free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

steve927 wrote: »
    One of the best features of the Xbox for me is the ability to download movies on my PC, stream them through the xbox or put them on a flash drive and watch them on my TV without having to convert them or do anything with them. Its so handy.

Do you use TVERSITY for this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

mick.fr wrote: »
    Do you use TVERSITY for this?

sorry if this deflects OT but what's the benefit of using tversity? i often see comments from people using it but i just don't see the need. my 360 easily streams from all the computers in the house just by being connected to the router (and also having the latest WMP installed obviously). Am i missing something? Does it play super-rare file types etc???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

The Xbox is quite cheap to buy now and there's lots of great games apart from Halo 3 e.g. Gears of War II, Fable II etc. Generally speaking games on the Xbox gets more DLC first eg Fallout III, GTA IV.

Once you install games to the hard-drive its not noisy at all to play on. The console is not as well built as Sony's though; they break and look cheap. The 360 can handle most popular media files but won't play ISOs or rarer formats like MKVs. My understanding is the PS3 is a more versatile media player than the 360- it can display album cover art for example.

I'd recommend it but only if you think you'll play the games exclusive to the console or have a few mates on Xbox Live.

TVersity alllows you to stream web clips to your console e.g. Youtube. It also converts cetain audio files and allows you Xbox 360 to play them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Ermm, if a lot of your online mates are on XBL then maybe? Some people like the controller better and then theres the four good exclusive games on the system (Gears, Halo, Forza and PGR). If youre willing to pay €179 minimum for that then buy it. Im hapy enough with my baby for now, spent enough to get it! €700 at launch! Remember you will pay to get a wireless controler, wi-fi and hard drive if you go for the cheapest option, this is where microsoft makes its money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭ROC1977

theteal wrote: »
    sorry if this deflects OT but what's the benefit of using tversity? i often see comments from people using it but i just don't see the need. my 360 easily streams from all the computers in the house just by being connected to the router (and also having the latest WMP installed obviously). Am i missing something? Does it play super-rare file types etc???

You Xbox can only stream avi/divx wmv wmvhd, and one or two other files types. MKV which is bascially a blur ray rip can't be streamed on a 360 with out programs like Tversity. You can also watch internet feeds like G4TV, your youtube favs etc.

Advertisement