Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Retain ticket for inspection"

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

"Retain ticket for inspection", you can see that sign in almost every public bus in the town. But have you ever seen any ticket inspection there? I didn't and never retain my ticket. Always throwing it away at entrance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

its just a generic printout used across ireland.

its probably more aimed at the dublin bus services seen as they have two doors, one which the driver is not beside and passengers have the ability to use pre paid cards which they can bypass the queue with and not have to deal with the driver.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

City Direct Buses say it all over their buses, but you dont get a ticket. Or change.

I haven't seen a bus inspector in years. Only once actually. On the bus to secondary school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

Forum choice fail.

unlucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

WooPeeA wrote: »
    "Retain ticket for inspection", you can see that sign in almost every public bus in the town. But have you ever seen any ticket inspection there? I didn't and never retain my ticket. Always throwing it away at entrance.
    I thought you were going to entertain us with a story about how you were caught and the inspector thought you were trying to evade the fare. Oh well :). I've never seen bus inspectors either but whenever I use the bus I only dispose of my ticket when I'm getting off the bus at my destination.
    m83 wrote: »
    Forum choice fail.

unlucky.
    :confused:Why? The OP posted a thread about Galway buses in the Galway forum. Where would you have put it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭m83

malice_ wrote: »
    :confused:Why? The OP posted a thread about Galway buses in the Galway forum. Where would you have put it?

AH is thataway <----

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

I've met inspectors twice in Galway when I used the bus to Oranmore daily a few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭redshoulder

Just once a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

m83 wrote: »
    AH is thataway <----
    Why would you put this thread in the After Hours forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I've only seen one, a few weeks ago on the last bus from Ballybane to Eyre Square. She didn't check any of the tickets, just chatted to the bus driver till he had to leave. Good job....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Haven't been on a bus in Galway for a while, but when I relied on them in college (ca mid-Nineties) I met quite a few inspectors. Remember one gent turning a blind eye when my 18-year-old student self handed him a ten-journey ticket for a schoolchild. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There's at least one inspector, smiley-faced older guy who hangs around Eyre Square quite often. Never seen him check any tickets though, seems to focus more on chatting to the drivers. I'm guessing he checks that they leave on time (well tries to, anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

I was on a bus going from fairview into town on the 29a or something and 3inspectors got on. Started checking tickets all over the show. First time i'd seen them do this and since then i keep my ticket handy for the eventuality. Got checked a few times on the luas but not as much as they say they do. Better safe than sorry and keep your ticket i say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭WooPeeA

So conclusion form this thread is no inspections in Galway public transport at all.

I wonder why driver has to print a ticket. Just loosing of paper in today's the climate change times. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

So conclusion form this thread is no inspections in Galway public transport at all.

I wonder why driver has to print a ticket. Just loosing of paper in today's the climate change times. :rolleyes:
    Excluding the obvious: return journeys and weekly tickets.

I think it's for keeping track of how many tickets are issued or for a quick check of the current number of passengers (if used properly; some of the more seasoned drivers still like to get up and look about for free seats). Convinced I've seen some printing off what appears to be some sort of summary at the last stop. Save the trees!

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Duras

This is a polite way of saying that one must buy a ticket to take the bus. Imagine me walking in the bus, passing the driver and sitting on a chair.
    "Sir the ticket, the ticket, you need to buy a ticket" he'll say.
    "What?? Didn't I just buy one?"
    "But sir, you didn't"
    "I did, you just don't remember"
    etc etc
    Having asked the passagers to retain their ticket the bus driver will be able then to ask me for the ticket i just bought, prove to me that I am an insolent lier and kick me out of his bus.

See? The sign is like a fire extinguisher. Noone actually uses it but it's good to have it around.

Don't use buses these days - I walk everywhere.

On the bus to school we got inspected the odd time. The inspectors never seemed to be interested in the numbers on the bus / standing, only if they had a valid ticket.

Ticket inspections in the Paris metro were serious. They checked in the tunnels in the stations - you passed plainclothes police then about 10 - 15 meters later you walked around a corner into about a dozen inspectors with uniformed police behind them.

The first couple of times I thought the police were overkill until I saw some guy go crazy about being caught and try to hit an inspector.

Advertisement