Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of Small Kitchen Extension - 2.3m x 3.75m

• 30-12-2008 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭

I'm considering a small extension to my kitchen so that I can move things around a bit and add a small dining area with a sofa. I'm trying to put a budget together but don't have a clue as to what costs I am looking at. I will get an architect/arch tech but reckon I will get something in measuring 2.3m x 3.75m. See plan below.

rjl99i.jpg

It will need to meet and match the two existing (came with new build house) extensions as per the picture below. (The extension will be going into the space where the shed currently is.) I reckon I would replace the existing window with a shorter one (to facilitate the new sink location) and include a set of white PVC french doors. In addition, I'll need to put a velux into the utility room to replace the door I will have done away with.

Any idea of what costs I am looking at for prof fees, builder etc?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Very hard to say in this climate. It depends on location, access to rear garden and area. €80 - €100 per square foot is still a good basis outside M50.

Your proposed extension may be exempt from Planning permission but sometimes a small extension can cost the same as a larger one as sometimes size isn't an indicator - I mean if its too small it can cost more per sqft to make it viable. A small extension can take as long to build as a bigger extension - time is money!

The exensions closeness to the existing boundary may be problematic regarding construction / plastering etc. Its always a good idea to discuss your proposals with your neighbours. Seek their full permission to temporarily remove boundary fence, if fence will be in your way.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭eggerb

Cheers RKQ. I hope to build right up to the boundary fence on this side as it will give me an extra metre (3.75m instead of 2.75m). I have never even met the neighbours on this side (they are on an adjoining street) so I also hoped to built without the need to approach them about removing the fence. I know they have their bamboo and nice shrubs against this particlar fence! What are the optoins here. Must the builder render finish? Is there an alternative finish?

Access-wise, I have two 1 metre wide side entrances and would, in effect, be doing away with one of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No problem, glad to help.
    "Must the builder render finish? Is there an alternative finish? "
    An external render on blockwork is a good traditional seal against the elements. It will also match your existing home. There are alternatives but all require access and space to apply.

I can't discuss legal situations here but I would advise having a chat with your neighbours - if you need to touch the fence (Hopefully you won't need to remove it!)
    The boundary fence belongs to both of you, so you can't remove it without their permission.

Its a good time of year to get to know them!

Advertisement