Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PHONE COMPANIES!!!!

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

ok ok ive got a very annoying one here..

i have been a customer with all irish mobile networks, 3, o2, vodafone and now meteor..

i joined meteor due to the fact of there free calls and texts and al my mates are meteor so it sounded like the best network to go for..
    stupid me then decided to go for bill pay, 12 month contract.
    My monthly commitment is 50 quid a month bought a slick phone great for browzin the net etc, the rep in the dundrum store said it was great for the net etc etc.. that i could use it straight away that it wud only cost me about 2-3 euro a day..

now here i am 2 months after signing a contract with no service as i was cut off after a month, with a bill for 1794.22 ALL for internet usage... this bill was brought up over a period of 6 days..

rang customer care, whom were extremely helpful, english speaking and understanding... all they can do is tell me the sites i was on???
    what use is that to me like!!!

i cannot afford this bull**** bill...
    i was misinformed..
    i have tried calling the dumbass store and never get a call back from the manager.
    what do i do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Welease

I am not too familiar with the Irish network providers.. But it sounds like they have some type of data plans which you need if you are going to browse the net, and if you don't have it you pay through the nose...

My advice would be to contact Meteor and explain the situation. If you keep calm and explain the problem (remember its not their fault you didnt read the T&C's.. so be very nice!!!!) they might be able to sort out moving you onto the correct plan, and getting rid of a lot of the outstanding bill.

If memory servers there was a similar thread a few months ago about exactly the same problem.. and iirc they worked out an agreement with the providor to remove the bulk of the charges. Might be worth searching for that thread for the exact details.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭ArseBurger

You should really read the contract before you sign it.

Your contract will state your voice and data plans. What are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 coconut-butter

it doesnt state in the contract that it is 2c per k/b, i specifically asked the store rep if i could use the internet immediatley, he said yes, did not tell me about the data bundles or charges.. he basically said "it'l be round 3-4 quid a day"
    i dunno were he got trained but he needs a p45, before any one else gets filled with his BS

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

on pre pay it's capped at 99c per day but on bill pay it's 2c per kb, as you found out. I have no idea where he got the idea that it'd cost 3 to 4 euro a day unless he thought normal usage was to load google a few times

It wouldn't say in the contract all the pricing but it is availiable on the website. Normally in cases like this i'd just say it was your own fault but since the staff member told you it'd be 4 euro a day and you could quite easily run up a figure of 20 loading images and hundreds watching videos i think you should fight for a refund.

Also you should call the store and tell them. At the very least you can stop this retard costing more people money

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

You really should have checked the exact cost, one call to meteor or a read of the terms on their website would have told you, I'd go back into the store, ringing them wont help and explain to the manager what you were told, if they're any way competent they should ring meteor customer care and explain what happened, they may meet you halfway or tell you tough but you should argue your point as Sam said

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

well the consumer was sold a package that was not "FIT FOR THE PURPOSE" as the law says it should be .

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland

back to that shop pronto !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    well the consumer was sold a package that was not "FIT FOR THE PURPOSE" as the law says it should be .

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumers_and_the_law_in_ireland

I'm not so sure about that spongebob , it did have access to the internet until they blocked the OP because of the high bill.

I would be of the view that responsability of the customer to review the contract , terms and charges here even though the sales man was an idiot, and as in law ignorence of them is not a defence.

That said its a nasty thing to have happened anyone, id go down to the shop and have it out with the sales guy - IN A POLITE AND FRIENDLY WAY ;) and get back on to meteor asap and try and work something out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    on pre pay it's capped at 99c per day

Until you hit 50meg... then it costs per KB. I know you realise this but just in case someone else doesn't and just reads that :)
    Sponge Bob wrote: »

Sounds like complete incompetent staff member (which seems to be the trend these days unfortunitely) but the onus of proof is gonna be on the customer. He signed the contract agreeing to xyz, no one else heard his conversation.

Would suggest calling Meteor, explaining the situation to them and see what they can do about it.

Just remember - it's not the person on the phones fault, it is partially your fault, and be nice, polite and friendly! Don't shout or get thick with them.

Advertisement