Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Triton T90i Shower problem

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi
    I have a problem with my triton shower. It works fine for the first user but if you want to use again within an hour or so it does not start. So you have to wait for more than an hour before it will start up again. We have it 6 years or so and replaced the pump a few years ago and recently replaced the canister containing the element. Any ideas what can be wrong ? I suspect it is some overheating cut out or similar ?
    SI
    :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There is a thermal cut out switch on top of the heater can, and it sounds like something is tripping that when the shower is turned off. The whole can then needs to cool down until the trip can reset. The question is why is the can so hot on shower switch off that the trip operates?

The only possibility I can think of immediately are that if you live in a hard water area, the element inside the heater can could have bcome heavily limescaled so that you have to turn the shower to an abnormally high heat setting to get a hot shower. Then, when you turn it off, the heat built up in the element and the scale trips the thermal switch. So, have you noticed a need to go to progressively higher heat settings over a period? If so I'd suggest some descaler in the supply to the shower, but make sure to flush it well before use.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Spring

i have a different problem with my my Triton shower - hope someone can help:)

was installed at least ten years ago and used daily until five years ago. now used only about one every three months as house is not occupied for the moment. recently the shower continued to run after switching off, cold water only, not hot. have had to run up to the attic to switch off the water supply:o

is there a cut-off, or relay that can be replaced? any ideas??

Sounds like the valve between the pump and the heater can is not closing properly on power off, allowing cold water to flow through the pump and through the heater can to the shower head. This could be happening as a result of the shower not having been used for some time -- the valve is simply sticking. With the power turned off at the main switch and the front cover off and the water on, you could try a few gentle taps on the valve casing and see if that frees it. If not it will have to come off and be either replaced or freed. The valve is between the pump on the left and the can on the right, immediately below the selector switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

it was to do with the water filter in the shower been partially blocked so was putting pressure on the shower and kept tripping the switch.
    the filter is usually on the bottom of the Mira shower inside the casing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

hi, i'm having a problem with my Triton T90i as well. This morning i turned on the shower and it didnt sound right. pressure and heat were down and only got about 2 mins in it before both had faded and stopped completely leaving me with cold water.now only cold water comes out at normal pressure and there is no sound of the pump or heater working.

The missus was saying that it cut out on her a few times in the last few weeks but i think that was she had the heat at max during the cold weather and it was the thermal protection kicking in.

Is it fixable or in need of replacement? if i need to replace it how hard would it be to do with the likes of one of these? (and if they are cheaper anywhere else?)
    Thanks!

• Advertisement

Scruff wrote: »
    hi, i'm having a problem with my Triton T90i as well. This morning i turned on the shower and it didnt sound right. pressure and heat were down and only got about 2 mins in it before both had faded and stopped completely leaving me with cold water.now only cold water comes out at normal pressure and there is no sound of the pump or heater working.

The missus was saying that it cut out on her a few times in the last few weeks but i think that was she had the heat at max during the cold weather and it was the thermal protection kicking in.

Is it fixable or in need of replacement? if i need to replace it how hard would it be to do with the likes of one of these? (and if they are cheaper anywhere else?)
    Thanks!

If the pump isn't working then probably the thermal cut out (on top of the heater can) is turning the heater off. It is designed to do this to protect the user from being scalded if the water pressure drops too low. If it operates then you won't hear the heater, obviously. So, you need to find out if the pump is actually running, and if it isn't check why. Doing that will depend on your electrical knowledge, but if it's not running you need to first check that it isn't simply seized. If it turns easily, then you need a multimeter to check the status of the motor and if it's getting power, but that latter check means testing a live circuit, so if you're not familiar with that don't try it!

The other thing to try is to turn on the shower with its lowest heat setting and see if the pump then runs.

If you need spares, (and for a useful picture of the internals of the shower box) try www.irishfire.com/Triton%20Spares%20-%20Triton%20Shower%20Spares%20-%20Triton

Shouldn't be difficult to replace the unit with one of the ones you mentioned, but you might need to modify the water feed pipework.

ART6 wrote: »
    If you need spares, (and for a useful picture of the internals of the shower box) try www.irishfire.com/Triton%20Spares%20-%20Triton%20Shower%20Spares%20-%20Triton

thanks for the info but that url doesnt work. was looking at a site in the u.k and they dont stock the parts as they say the t90i is obsolete
    /edit got your link to work and it redirects to the u.k one i was looking at http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/t90i.html

i presume fitting a different model like this would be more difficult. but at 1\2 the price of the one from woddies i could get a pro to do it!

thanks for the info but that url doesnt work. was looking at a site in the u.k and they dont stock the parts as they say the t90i is obsolete
    /edit got your link to work and it redirects to the u.k one i was looking at http://www.showerdoc.co.uk/shower-spares/triton/t90i.html

i presume fitting a different model like this would be more difficult. but at 1\2 the price of the one from woddies i could get a pro to do it!

Another one of those cases where for some reason UK prices are much lower than ours. I wonder why?:rolleyes: Shouldn't be very difficult to fit the one you have in mind. Probably just need some minor pipework mods and electrical reconnection.

ART6 wrote: »
    So, you need to find out if the pump is actually running, and if it isn't check why. Doing that will depend on your electrical knowledge, but if it's not running you need to first check that it isn't simply seized. If it turns easily, then you need a multimeter to check the status of the motor and if it's getting power, but that latter check means testing a live circuit, so if you're not familiar with that don't try it!

I checked last night and it the motor. power is getting to it but it inst turning. I could spin it manually but it was stiff and didnt move freely. I did get it to run two or three times by having the power on and manually spinning it. There must be a sweel spot where the power > static friction. There was a lot of black soot\plactic debris in the casing. Could the motor just need a good cleaning? if so how do you remove its connection from the water pipe? Can the motor just be disconnected by removing the screws (see attached pic - A) or do you need to turn off the water and remove the entire motor + flow valve assembly (B)
    Shouldn't be very difficult to fit the one you have in mind. Probably just need some minor pipework mods and electrical reconnection
    shaper is very different from the T90 so could be more work that might need retilling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MickLimk

I checked last night and it the motor. power is getting to it but it inst turning. I could spin it manually but it was stiff and didnt move freely. I did get it to run two or three times by having the power on and manually spinning it. There must be a sweel spot where the power > static friction. There was a lot of black soot\plactic debris in the casing. Could the motor just need a good cleaning?

Sounds to me like it's the brushes in the motor are worn. Not sure if you can get brushes separate from the motor kit but worth checking.

• Advertisement

MickLimk wrote: »
    Sounds to me like it's the brushes in the motor are worn. Not sure if you can get brushes separate from the motor kit but worth checking.

That's what the symptoms suggest alright, but if theres a lot of black soot and stuff inside the shower casing it could be much more than just brushgear. In all probability,even if you can get brushes for that motor, you would probably need to skim the commutator and recut the insulation between the bars. I would try for a new motor.

Well i bought a t90xr in woodies to replace the t90i and decided to do it myself. All went fine until i came to the crucial part or connecting the inlet pipe to the water feed pipe. The problem is that Triton provided a 15mm x 15mm compression elbow joint with the t90xr but it doesnt fit to the shower's inlet pipe! Also the joint seems to have 1 thread less that the one that was fitted to the previous shower so it faces 90deg away when attached to the pipe from the tank.
    The old t90i attachement had a copper sleve fitted to the removable part of the inlet pipe with a 15mm nut attached that couldnt be removed fromt he sleve so ensuring a proper seal. (see attached pic, t90i fitting on left)
    I went to woodies but couldnt find a similar joint. Anyone have any ideas where i could get one?
    How much give is there in the compression joint with 15mm olive compression fitting? i'd be worried that trying to tighten it too much would crack the plastic inlet pipe and would need to replace the entire filter assembly if cracked.
    That said I'd be extremely pissed if i have to call a plumber out to screw on 1 joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

The triton shower is a popular shower , but a lot of people dont realise that they burn a huge amount of esb and give a terrible performance , a watering can would be better , as you have to turn it up all the way this time of year . i got a power shower fitted and its like being in a hotel great shower , it can do low medium strong and ex strong .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Payton

What type of shower did you get, judging by the ammount of complaints with Triton showers I think we need you input.
    I Have a Mira Elite (5 Yrs old) and I think it needs replacing so any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Traditional

its called a horizon B 20 have it over 3 years now and as good as the day it went in , great shower experience as they say !! have the plumbers name if u want it.

Advertisement