Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question(s) for Jazz drummers

• 30-12-2008 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭

I want to go back to drums and this time actually get lessons. I have my eye on newpark, and I was wondering if anyone goes/went there and has any feedback?

Or perhaps there's someone somebody could recommend? (preferably as near to Maynooth as possible, but I don't mind travelling if the reputation is there!).

But my real question has to do with the drums themselves....

I live in an apartment above and beside people. Are drums even a possiblity? I'll only be living there till sometime in the summer, so I'd have no problem just getting practice pads and working on technique till then, and I'd get a snare and work on that in the college's practice rooms.

Phew. Thoughts? Suggestions? Rants?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭disneyonfire

Newpark would probably be the best place to go to for lessons but i think there's a fairly long waiting list already. Maybe ring up to see if its changed.

In terms of the drums themselves, i doubt you'd get away with a full kit in an apartment unless you have deaf neighbours. Your best bet would probably be to buy either just practice pads or buy some mesh skins for your kit, if you have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 som

i'd second the mesh skins idea ...cos even the rubber practice pads can allow alot of vibrations which can annoy neighbours in my expierience. practice on mesh skins also seems to translate very well back onto normal skins...and then you can practice brush technnique on almost any smooth surface

if youre looking for part-time tuition you could always just see if any of yer favourite dublin drummers give 1 on 1 lessons (look up phonebook or ask them after gigs). Newpark is great but the full-time course is a 4 year commitment as far as i know.

Advertisement