Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parapsychology

• 30-12-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know of an official course in this? Would be combining two of my passions!!! Or are there any interesting books that could be recommended?

What are ppls opinions of it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

They run a masters course on it in Edinburgh and I think 2 other cities in the uk(can't remember off the top of my head).Will check it out and pm the details to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

well it is a load of nonsense really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,550 ✭✭✭Myksyk

Utter waste of time. Done for decades of decades with nothing to show. Much more interesting and enlightening would be a course in Anomlistic Psychology (e.g. Chris French, Goldsmith College).

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Or are there any interesting books that could be recommended?
    Irwin, H.J. (2004), An Introduction to Parapsychology, 4th ed. See link: http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&lr=&id=jB88qA7C9oYC&oi=fnd&pg=PP11&dq=parapsychology&ots=L6_NQyv6ly&sig=_q3smhBnrQp6AxTT6DkXV58bOJw#PPP1,M1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Thanks will look the book up! Dont think i would be interested in Anomlistic psychology,hadnt actually heard of it before. Just been reading up on it,but not really what i would want to do. I approach the paranormal with a semi skeptical head and i think thats the best way. :DHave balance, not be convinced of its existence nor its non existence. But thanks for the advice,it was an interesting read. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What's the point in doing a masters degree in parapsychology? What job is that going to land you - a gig on 'Most haunted'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Getting a job isn't the only reason i study. I do it cause i enjoy it. Would rather study a course in something i enjoy than one that im not invested in for the sake of a job. DOnt get me wrong i am ambitious but i think both can be combined.

Theres very few jobs for pure psychoanalysists or even psychoanalytic psychotherapy but ppl still studying them. (they actually the other possible courses i go for).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

True but

A> It costs a lot of money to do a masters
    B> Parapsychology is a subject of mirth to many or most professional psychologists, it might even look bad on your CV!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Any one that goes on and does Parapsychology usually end up doing either lecturing on the side or counselling or if they are lucky enough get into research, however there isn't much research grants going for it now a days and the money that is available is fairly paltry.Guaranteed I agree that alot of people don't see it as important as other fields of psychology but even in the mainstream there is alot of research going on in what many people feel are unimportant areas.I believe that if you have the money and its something that you are interested in , then its definitely not a waste of time.If you are committed to any subject you will generally find work in it if you are driven enough, a degree or a masters guarantees nothing.I know plenty of unemployed psychologists with masters in various fields.Before I got into psychology I did a fine arts degree and out of every one I knew at the time that did so , I was the only one to successfully work as an artist(still am part time away from psychology).If you are willing to follow a career path and will dedicate yourself to it and be willing to move countries and follow the work I believe it s possible to make a good living in almost any career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Meatwad wrote: »
    Guaranteed I agree that alot of people don't see it as important as other fields of psychology

Let us be clear here:
    Parapsychology is NOT a branch of psychology. They are two verry different fields.

"Parapsychology is a discipline that seeks to investigate the existence and causes of psychic abilities and life after death"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Shinji Ikari

eth0_ wrote: »
    What's the point in doing a masters degree in parapsychology? What job is that going to land you - a gig on 'Most haunted'?

A ghostbuster.

Advertisement