Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterproofing this jacket??????

Options
  • 30-12-2008 12:22am

Right, I'm after some advice to waterproof this jacket, it is waterproof, but it's getting less restistant.
    This is the jacket 10348-clash-2-tone-jacket.jpg

Details:
    Fabric: HYTEC 2-TONE, HYTEC HERRINGBONE

details on the "Hytec" fabric....

* Technical micro porous coating for heavy-duty sportswear
    * Breathable
    * Resistance against water pressure up to 5.000 mm
    * Moisture permeability up to 5.000 g/m²/24 hours

Sorry for all that info, but I really don't want to mess this jacket up, I've had it for about a year, and I'm wondering what you folk think I should do to replenish it's diminishing water-resistance? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

To save anyone else the trouble of looking, this is a Five Seasons 'Clash' boarding jacket. Here:

http://five.se/Default.aspx?artID=2760&tID=viewproduct&sID=2&oID=847

Nikwax is the recommended product range, as per the Five site.

I'd recommend using Tech Wash to get it properly clean, then use TX Direct wash in reproofer.

You'll find the Nikwax range in EVERY reputable outdoor supplier. If they don't carry it, or try to insist you buy Grangers instead, walk out the door and go somewhere else.

Enjoy.

Gil

So just to clarify, i should wash it with Nikwax "Tech wash" then re-wash after with TX Direct wash in reproofer? The lining of the jacket will be fine? Thanks so much for the advice btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭BeardyGit

Correct - Two wash cycles. Don't be tempted to pile all your outdoor gear in there, just do the jacket so you're sure it's done properly.

You're welcome to the advice any time! ;)

Gil

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just to clarify, the use of Tech Wash is primarily to thoroughly clean the garment first before the full waterproofing treatment with TX Direct.

What you absolutely must never do with garments like this is to wash them using normal household detergents like Ariel, Daz etc. .. you'll ruin them and destroy any water beading qualities they ever had. In addition, the Tech Wash will also provide a limited degree of "top-up" of the waterproofing in between full waterproofing sessions in the mean time in case the jacket gets dirty and needs washing in between times.

One important thing that makes a big difference in the effectiveness of the treatment for Gore-Tex type jackets in any case is after you've treated it and it's dry, to either lightly tumble dry the garment (instructions are on the bottle) or if that's not possible, then a warm (not hot!) iron. You can do without this step, but it makes a big difference in my experience.

Also, run an empty hot wash through the machine after all this .. the stuff smells a bit and SWMBO might object :)

Ok, I am about to go get the products in either "Millets" or "53 Degrees North" now, Thanks guys. BTW, just for the laugh, this jacket came with a pair of lime neon green trousers with black paint splash style, they're frickin' funky lookin'. The jacket is ridiculously warm, I love it, I actually look forward to the coldest temps!:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BTW make sure you get the TX-Direct Wash-In stuff in a normal bottle, there's also a spray-on version which you don't want.

Well, I did it, it's probably gonna take like 2 days to dry lol. I washed out the machine while it was empty first. Then used "Tech wash", then used "tx direct wash in" then, I used the "Tx direct spray on", just for a little bit extra, I had a tiny bit left in the house. Thanks for the advice guys, I'm looking forward to staying dry this winter.

Advertisement