Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Belfast - Murals

• 30-12-2008 12:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭

Having eventually a camera, I would like to go to Belfast again and to take pictures of as many murals as possible.
    Would be anybody interested in going as well, or could somebody offer themselves as a guide? I know few spots with murals, but being there, I would like to capture as much as possible.

I was thinking about one day of the fourth weekend in January.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

If some miracle lands upon me, and my thesis is all good, I'd like to head up.

There's a chap that used to post on here a bit that would meet up with us too, I'm sure. I won't mention his name as to not anger the gods :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Brilliant, man of the thousand lenses is interested! :pac:

The date is not stated, just suggested, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

I'd do this too if I was free.. I'm heading up to Tyrone next week - I'll have a chat with someone very interesting who might be/know someone who'd guide us..

It looks that I'll do some lense shopping up there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,309 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Ensure your guide is the right nationality, I suppose. So great artwork, but I'd say all but the hardcore area's have had their murals whitewashed, and painted over as part of a process started a few months back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

I'd be up for this too, I doubt the murals will ever be whitewashed though!! :eek:

Brilliant! The more, the better!

I would like to ask interested people if you could suggest a date for such a trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

If I'm free whichever weekend I'd take a trip up

and divert to Calumet too

Just to update this idea. Is the fourth weekend still OK for you?
    And do we have some more information? I know (from experience) that easiest is to ask some taxi drivers. But a local guide would be appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

just to clarify the 4th weekend is the 23/24/25th ...... I might be persueded to tag along.

:) my first boards meet !!!

• Advertisement

So who is for Saturday 24th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Buzz Lightyear

Sat 24th is Great. Great idea. Only I'll be in London on the pishhh with the brovs. If you push it by a week I'd luv to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Not sure I'll be able to make it. I'll try though. What time?

A bit further afield, but the murals in Derry - especially the bogside ones - are really spectacular..

I have both days free. I would like to leave in the morning. And Derry is about 2 hours drive. I don't know if we could make it in short winter days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

I believe an ex prisoner group in Befast conduct day tours of the murals/landmarks in the various areas that were affected by the troubles. One of my work mates told me about it.

The murals in Derry are fantastic whether you agree with the politics of them or not. The current mural at "Free Derry corner" is amazing, the one saying "You are now entering Free Gaza".

I think I'm still ok for next week - assuming its still on.

I have called to Belfast and they are sending me map with location of the murals. I hope it'll get here on time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

"Hi Belfast, it's ThOnda...."

:D

are we still go for this - any idea on times, where to meet etc?

how many have we ?

I have received a map today. I am a little busy.
    What are possibilities? To meet somewhere in Belfast (e.g. toysRus carpark), meet at Drogheda and leave few cars there...
    Could interested people post their official ideas about where and what time?

• Advertisement

anyone else going ?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Dink

I can't make it tomorro, as himself is away at football and I'd have no babysitter for the 2 brats. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Are there photographers from the North here?

I have linked to a good Belfast blog on Photographedublin called South Belfast Diary.

Ida Lovett on P45 Rant carries the flame for that part of the World and manages a good monthly photo competition:

http://www.p45rant.net/boards/showthread.php?t=97337

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭corkhero

For those of you heading up.

The places with the greatest ones imo are Falls Road, Shankiel road, Sandy Row and also in east belfast near winsor park.

Falls road and shankiel road are very near each other.

Sandy row is next to days hotel in the city.

and winsor is in east belfast.

I wouldnt drive a southern registered car in wither sandy row, shankiel road or anywhere in east belfast. Not worth the risk and hassle.

Enjoy yer trip north and make sure ye so some shopping in victoria square, great bargains.

ps. Derry bogsides' murals are amazing. if there make sure to check out the bogside inn. great pictures of the troubles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

corkhero wrote: »
    For those of you heading up.
    I wouldnt drive a southern registered car in wither sandy row, shankiel road or anywhere in east belfast. Not worth the risk and hassle.

I think this might be a bit outdated ;) .... personally, I've never had any hassle in any of these areas...

ok ...looks like I'm pulling out on you Thonda ...... got an offer of work ..... so recession and all that .... need to stay in Dublin and earn money. (Goddamn these 7 day working weeks)

So is anybody going or am I going to be beaten on my own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭justagirl

This is kind of off topic... but you can get great pictures (on a clear day) of Belfast City from Belfast Castle:

http://www.belfastcastle.co.uk/
    ...enjoy your trip...

Advertisement