Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

According to tomorrows Mirror....

Options
  • 30-12-2008 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭

20mil gets you Parker and Bellamy.
    Wham will sell at this price.
    We should take their hand off.
    These lads would do the business for us.

We're desprate and both players are better then what we already have.
    If Bent and Bentley cost 32mil then it's a complete no brainer.
    20mil is a snip.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

20mil is a snip.

It's not really Shane, I think combined the Bingo Club paid about £13m for the two of 'em. Neither has really set the world alight at Upton Park, I've no problem with them being targeted on a personal level, but I'm afraid we're signing them on the strength of past glories and paying over the odds for the privilege.

It's not my money of course, but if it means the kitty is pretty bare afterwards and we're still short in a couple of areas then I'd rather we found value elsewhere.

The price we paid for Bent and Bentley should have no bearing IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Simple Pieman

It's not really Shane, I think combined the Bingo Club paid about £13m for the two of 'em. Neither has really set the world alight at Upton Park, I've no problem with them being targeted on a personal level, but I'm afraid we're signing them on the strength of past glories and paying over the odds for the privilege.

It's not my money of course, but if it means the kitty is pretty bare afterwards and we're still short in a couple of areas then I'd rather we found value elsewhere.

Previously we might have been able to shift some in the opposite direction but WHU will be unlikely to meet wage demands from those salaried in N17.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Parker has hardly done anything of note in years. His description of a tough-tackling yet mobile midfielder is exactly what we're looking for, though I can't remember reading anything good about him in the last few years. Plus, he has apparently turned us down twice before so feck him!

Bellamy is not someone I'm particularly fond of either. On his day he's a very good striker, though I don't see how he'd work with our system. 20m for both is far too much. I can't imagine Bellamy being worth more than 8 - 10 and Parker certainly isn't worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I wouldn't mind either but I think if we're looking for someone from them then it's more our priority to look at someone like Upson from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 casla32

Bring back Robbie K.. he's the man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

20mil gets you Parker and Bellamy.
    Wham will sell at this price.
    We should take their hand off.
    These lads would do the business for us.

We're desprate and both players are better then what we already have.
    If Bent and Bentley cost 32mil then it's a complete no brainer.
    20mil is a snip.

20million,no thanks. There is no way id pay that much for them pair, and Id be very suprised if Harry did. As far as I can see, there both past there best playing days and I think we could find far better value elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

i like parker but hate bellamy. pitty ashton is injured. i quite like him. big stong and scores a few. if harry is loking to play 1 up front and modric behind he will want someone to hold the ball up. what you think lads?

just a suggestion.......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Modric is a smashing footballer, but im not too sure he's the type of fella Id rely on in a relegation battle !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Why are we just looking at westham players and Parker and Upson, no thanks. Harry I think has always prooved himself as a great dealer in the market, look at who he brought into Pompie and what they did. Don't waste another 20 million with the likes of these players, aim higher if possible or target young players of the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

Always thought Parker could add to Spurs but that was based on his many excellent performances for Charlton a few years back.
    Seems to me that he now lacks ambition and is happy drawing big money at newcastle whilst putting in very average performances...c'est la vie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Woddle wrote: »
    Why are we just looking at westham players and Parker and Upson, no thanks. Harry I think has always prooved himself as a great dealer in the market, look at who he brought into Pompie and what they did. Don't waste another 20 million with the likes of these players, aim higher if possible or target young players of the future.

I'd imagine we are shopping at the Boelyn because they are in such a precarious financial position so we've a good chance of closing a deal with them, plus their players will all be looking for an escape route if the Bingo Club is having money worries. That and the fact that 'Arry knows what they can offer where if he has to recruit from abroad he might be relying on a scouting network that he doesn't trust (it's not like he's been at the club long enough to start putting everything right.)
    BOLT wrote: »
    Always thought Parker could add to Spurs but that was based on his many excellent performances for Charlton a few years back.
    Seems to me that he now lacks ambition and is happy drawing big money at newcastle whilst putting in very average performances...c'est la vie

If he's still drawing big money from Newcastle then the Barcodes are even muggier than I thought, he's at West Ham now!!! ;););)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

If my memory is correct, defoe's last game folr us was Ar5en1l, and he is not cup tied for rumbelows, so tuesday could see an unfortunate mistake rectified, and the wheel turn full circle. Did Harry not play himagainst chelsea in LC in an inspired bit of foresight? if he scores the winner against derby! in the final it will look like fate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭BOLT

If he's still drawing big money from Newcastle then the Barcodes are even muggier than I thought, he's at West Ham now!!! ;););)

Was, meant was...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭I-Bleed-White

With Pompey looking for upwards of £20mill for Defoe, odds are that deal isn't going to fly considering he isn't even a regular in the England setup behind Emile Heskey for god sake, I really want to see Podalski in our team who has confirmed our interest in him with others.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4738856,00.html

He will be cheaper because he is struggling to get a game and wants away though maybe not too cheap if a bidding war gets going with plenty of clubs aware of his quality. As I said before he would be a great addition as he is strong on the ball and a fantastic finisher. Can play with his back to goal and also play the left wing.

Bently in my opinion really is'nt doing the job considering the sum of money we paid for him. Sure he can do the unexpected at moments in the match but his lack of pace combined with the fact he doesn't seem to get his head up quick enough for counter attacks means he is holding us back. The Setanta commentator was bang on last night when he said that he never tries to get to the byline to cross instead always opting to do so from 40 yards out giving the keeper ages to think what they are going to do.

Advertisement