Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Kebab in Cork

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭crustyjuggler

overmantle wrote: »
    Wouldn't touch a kebab in Cork or anywhere else. Not after some of the things I saw down through the years!

I saw a tv show with some ' celebrity chef ' and they did a bit of a kebab test thingy to find out whether the meat was filth and they came to the conclusion that the meat was grand and that the kebab aint a bad meal .After all it's just meat , bread and veg . Id love a kebab now .

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,944 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

And I seen a show where they tested the calories in a Kebak in the UK.
    Pretty sure it ranged from 1000 to 2000.

Didn't stop me eating them though....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭budhabob

EvilWonka wrote: »
    worst kebab i have ever had was in kebabish in ballincollig

Seriously? I used to consider this one of the best places for a kebab, as do alot of my friends, its quality has dropped recently though.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭diego ribas

zam zams for me:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

towel401 wrote: »
    i quite like the ones from abakebabra
    I got the runs from Abbrakebabra in Carrigaline(when they has a shop there) over 12 years ago & never been in any other of their outlets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭EvilWonka

wasper wrote: »
    I got the runs from Abbrakebabra in Carrigaline(when they has a shop there) over 12 years ago & never been in any other of their outlets.

good stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 corklanger

istanbul isnt that great........indian tandoori on washingon streetdoes a grand one.
    european kebabs are WAY better though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Ege Kebab across from UCC Gates was pretty nice the last time I ate there(about a year ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

i got one from Istanbul on Washington St on Thurs nit, In fairness it wasn't too overpriced with generous amounts of meat, but that was the problem. The meat was God awful, the worst kebab meat i've tasted, it was very gristly and not at all what kebab meat should be. For the first time ever i didnt finish my kebab....and i had a bad dose of the ****s the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

i got one from Istanbul on Washington St on Thurs nit, In fairness it wasn't too overpriced with generous amounts of meat, but that was the problem. The meat was God awful, the worst kebab meat i've tasted, it was very gristly and not at all what kebab meat should be. For the first time ever i didnt finish my kebab....and i had a bad dose of the ****s the next morning.

what kinda meat was it? i got one like that before with lotz of grizzle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

towel401 wrote: »
    what kinda meat was it? i got one like that before with lotz of grizzle

It was a doner. i'm not the best at describing food but when i'd bite into the kebab meat it broke up too easily with an almost dustiness to it, hard to describe. Not good...The owner had a cool moustache though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 severely

Try the Chicken Pakora Kebab in the spice route, mccurtain st, best kebab ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Kebab meat is possibly the ****test meat you could possibly eat. I would rather eat dust tbh and it doesnt matter if its after a few pints. The fat content would put mcdonald's big mac to shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

budhabob wrote: »
    Seriously? I used to consider this one of the best places for a kebab, as do alot of my friends, its quality has dropped recently though.

If the quality has dropped I would hate to see what they are like now. Last tiem I tried there, only time as we,, about 4 years ago and it was utter muck
    zam zams for me:cool:

Agreed. Nice curries there also
    wasper wrote: »

Pure muck as well from any Abra. Baguettes are your man here though.

Indian Moon and the place on McCurtain Street are the kiddies. They use naan bread insead of pita which is a major plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 twigsirl

So, after what happened on Thursday in Instanbul, I guess things must be a bit 'spicy' in there .... ok, sorry, bad joke!! I was in there about a month ago, place was heaving, thought the kebab I had was quite handsome to be honest and the quality of the meat was decent enough? Don't get out much in Cork City anymore but I'd have no problem going back to Instanbul for some grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 burkeym7

I agree with evilwonka on both posts. Indian moon dies the best kebabs in cork. Also moaning over the price of kebabs??? It'd mostly a post-night out food so 90% of people won't give a f*ck about what they're getting. Indian moon is fantastic so everywhere else, especially abra can piss right off

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭stacexD

Tried Istanbul for the first time a couple of weeks ago and it was absolutely f*ckin rotten. Every piece of meat was half meat and half gristle/fat/something. As in an actual divide between the half bit of meat then whatever else was attatched to it. Couldn't even eat it pissed drunk!

The best kebab hands down is Jimmy's house of spice in Carrigtwohill (the name changes quite a bit, but it's beside the community center and usually has Jimmy's in the name) Big naan bread stuffed with as much meat as they can fit in and the meat is unreal aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

There's a place in Oliver Plunket street by the 2€ shop, dont know the name but hell they do a nice Kebab, anyone been there?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭dj_

bogman wrote: »
    There's a place in Oliver Plunket street by the 2€ shop, dont know the name but hell they do a nice Kebab, anyone been there?

That is Istanbul.

Pretty average in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

The spice route McCurtain street hands down

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

burkeym7 wrote: »
    I agree with evilwonka on both posts. Indian moon dies the best kebabs in cork. Also moaning over the price of kebabs??? It'd mostly a post-night out food so 90% of people won't give a f*ck about what they're getting. Indian moon is fantastic so everywhere else, especially abra can piss right off

I got a kebab in Indian Moon once, though it was delivered so not fresh fresh, I wasn't impressed, love the rest of their stuff though!

Then a couple of weeks ago I got a kebab in Istanbul after a few drinks and nearly made love to it!

I don't know if its possible to compare kebabs! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The last few times I've been out in Cork I've gone to Tasty Kebab across from Reardens, directly across from Toni & Guy there - they do a cracking Chicken Pakora - really nice and spicy with lovely bread

Couldn't recommend it enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Laziza Kebab Shandon St. Yum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

Just got one in the spice route on mccurtins street ...... It was AMAZING !!
    Kebab in a nan bread plenty of meat plus chips with garlic sauce and a coke for €5.50 :D
    Far better than the crap they sell on washington street !

• Registered Users Posts: 5 clancyboy

Taste of istanbul is pretty decent but abit too pricey at 7 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 9 mickdaly

Speedo Kebab, Tuckey St. (opp side entrance to Bishop Lucey/Peace park).

Before 5pm - Doner or Chicken kebab meal for a fiver.
    After 5pm - Kebab for a fiver.

Open til 4am and they deliver.

Best one i've had since proper Turkish/Kurdish ones in London.

A proper Turkish-owned place in Cork is way overdue.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

A decent kebab here is the same as a decent curry. Non-existent! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

D'Agger wrote: »
    The last few times I've been out in Cork I've gone to Tasty Kebab across from Reardens, directly across from Toni & Guy there - they do a cracking Chicken Pakora - really nice and spicy with lovely bread

Couldn't recommend it enough

A Pakora isn't a kebab!! It's an Indian savoury dish...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭LostCorkGuy

A Pakora isn't a kebab!! It's an Indian savoury dish...

It's spicy breaded chicken and they throw it in a kebab in Spice Route on McCurtains street , it's fcuking amazing , seriously

Btw this thread is a disgrace , only myself and 1 other have agreed that spice route is the best , everyone else is talking about the 3am kebabs , spice route is for sober people

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭spitfireIRL

I'd be of that opinion also, spice route is savage! lovely curries!

Advertisement